onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Colchester United

Fosse69

Advert

I've seen games where we've huffed and puffed and created next to nothing and looked like a team that didn't have much of a cue. Despite perhaps dropping 2 points today and not getting what we deserved, I'll take today every day of the week compared to some of the shambolic performances recently. Today we looked a pretty good side and the effort was there. Against a lesser side than Colchester we would have won comfortably by two or three.

Bolton and today is a massive improvement on the previous 5 or 6 weeks, and 4 points a very decent return from two difficult looking games.

28 minutes ago, Santa said:

Two other gripes: 1. why make a sub and then three minutes later use another sub. We've got 5 subs to make and 3 stoppages in which to make them. I know there's no danger of Askey using all five in a match but at least have a think.

2. Was there a children's party or something going on in the Lorne Street stand during the match?

Point 2 

Guaranteed a lot of hangers on or people in the know are there. Wouldn't surprise me if some off here have been the odd game.

It's not what you know it's who you know.

Alastair Campbell was at West Ham v Burnley for example. 

5 minutes ago, dazzerjames said:

Why would you not want them there . At least it’s offering a slight bit of encouragement to the players.

Would you rather them not to be, just because we can’t ?

I think it's a bit unfair. If they can go, why can't they invite 15 fans a week? It's galling, especially with the racket they make. 

We've paid £300 to watch the games on iPads as we wanted to back the club in a difficult time, with no guarantee we'd get to see any live football.

People seem to be taken advantage of their employment to go to the games every week. If they can all go, why not rotate it and invite some lucky fans/fans who have had a tough time? It's not like they're needed there.

I get what you're saying, but if they're not needed to be there to help the game go ahead, then what are they doing there? 

Carol and Kevin, and the staff who are needed to ensure the game goes ahead. Shouldn't be anyone employed by the club (some with a very tenuous justification for being there).

1 minute ago, darren1810 said:

Point 2 

Guaranteed a lot of hangers on or people in the know are there. Wouldn't surprise me if some off here have been the odd game.

It's not what you know it's who you know.

Alastair Campbell was at West Ham v Burnley for example. 

There's one person who is in regular attendance who I have nothing against, but simply has no real justification for being at a game during a pandemic. 

Maybe I'm petty and jealous, but it just doesn't sit right. Essential staff, it should be. 

7 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

Thought we played some lovely stuff first half and it deserved at least 3 goals to Vale fortunately we were indebted to Brown making a flying save to go in at 0-0 .

Then second half we score a absolute great goal and look like we are going on to win quite easily with Oyeleke being superb in the main then there wily manager realises that his team are likely to lose by a lot and makes3 changes those3 changes cost us the game as we didnt react to them we concede a terrible equaliser and did our  usual last minute trick of either concede or nearly concede self destruction but luckily for once that wasn't the case .

So in the end a point it should have being 3 

Agree with most 

but 1 ball over the top left out right back for dead and bang 2 points lost 

u can’t blame no subs for that unless your saying askey should of took right back off 

I watched the Tottenham documentary on Amazon prime last week and one thing that struck me was Mouriniho rammed down the Spurs players necks time and time again was ALL the top teams are C**** they hate losing and will do anything not to lose, you can be nice humans, kind and considerate at home with the wife and children but NOT on the football pitch, NEVER.

I think we are too nice with not enough winners in the side, too many soft goals given away, it's all too easy, I think we need to toughen up and be a bit more ugly.

We are conceding to many soft goals and seem to get punished for every mistake we make. I cant remember the last time we kept a clean sheet. Keeping clean sheets and defending solidly gives you the foundation to do well as you know if you score 1 you win whereas at the moment we need score 2 or 3 to win games.

Seen that storyline before, play well, on top for long periods but can't ram home the advantage, get caught by a sucker punch, frustrating, at least it was not a loss.

Vale seem to get caught out of shape when they lose  ball, often leaving space down either wing as today which  cost us dear.

2 minutes ago, Andy Proctor said:

We had chances but our main ones we put wide or over. We also put several decent crosses into the box and had pope been on im sure he would have been on the end of them. Rodney is our topscorer with 5 but if you look at his goals there not the proper striker poke home from 6 yards out kind of goals there just shots from 20 yards some go in and some go miles wide. 

I do not share your confidence re: Pope.  The number of games Tom scored from open play in last season was 4 of his 37 appearances,, and 1 from 11 this season.  That is 5 games out of 48 he has had a goal scoring contribution from open play(I know he has scored more than once in some of these games, but that only influences the result in one game).

Rodney for all his rawness has already scored in 5 separate games from 19 appearances this season.

Both have started games and come on as sub. 

We need to look forward not back.  Rodney may well develop into the 20+ goal centre forward we crave, but he will only develop in that role by playing in the central position.

Tom, for all his past contributions is no longer the goal threat he was, and it would be foolhardy to build our plans around a fading 35 year old.

2 minutes ago, Bald Eagle said:

I do not share your confidence re: Pope.  The number of games Tom scored from open play in last season was 4 of his 37 appearances,, and 1 from 11 this season.  That is 5 games out of 48 he has had a goal scoring contribution from open play(I know he has scored more than once in some of these games, but that only influences the result in one game).

Rodney for all his rawness has already scored in 5 separate games from 19 appearances this season.

Both have started games and come on as sub. 

We need to look forward not back.  Rodney may well develop into the 20+ goal centre forward we crave, but he will only develop in that role by playing in the central position.

Tom, for all his past contributions is no longer the goal threat he was, and it would be foolhardy to build our plans around a fading 35 year old.

It’s not just goals he adds though is it. Didn’t he score 2 at Southend by the way?

There's one person who is in regular attendance who I have nothing against, but simply has no real justification for being at a game during a pandemic. 
Maybe I'm petty and jealous, but it just doesn't sit right. Essential staff, it should be. 

I just think if you have worked hard all week and are employed by the club , it’s only fair they get to sit in the ground and watch what they have worked all week for .

It’s a reward of being an employee for the club . I’d rather be there to , but not going to begrudge anyone a privilege for what their employment brings.

Archived