Match Thread: FLT 32 Port Vale v Wolverhampton Wanderers U21

13 minutes ago, Lornelounger said:

The last 16 play in January, and there are not many League 2 sides left in it - anyone know when the draw is?

The draw is on Thursday at 11.15 - live on Talk Sport 2.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advert:

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems as though he did..

That's better VFIA , Smithy doing an Andy Porter role. These are the line ups we love. Keep it up 😃  

Could have started much better but after that first 25 mins I thought that was OK. Don't understand the comments about McKirdy. He looked a handful with lots of movement, which is something we ha

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, Lornelounger said:

The last 16 play in January, and there are not many League 2 sides left in it - anyone know when the draw is?

Yes, just Cambridge from League 2 left in the Southern section, and Tranmere and The Vale in t'Northern. Ex Stokie Jon Parkin is making the draw. So that's us off to Hull and back then. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, osprey said:

My problem with McKirdy is that he moves around too much - leaves big gaps for others to cover, second half it was clear Askey had told him to hold his position more because first half Mills was constantly left open to their left winger.

It’s ok having all these tricks but we struggle to defend at the best of times having McKirdy wandering all over doesn’t help especially as often he loses the ball too easily - too much of a luxury player for me - that’s my opinion and I know some will disagree

Huge difference when Worral came on - better structure and better crosses which with Pope in the middle is what you need

Sometimes you have to do something different than stick to your position. Players have to take responsibility to fill gaps when we loose the ball - it should be bread and butter for a professional team. 

For me Like I say its great to have a player who can do something different with movement and who has goals in him. Exaclty what we need when we play the dross at this level and we haven't a clue how to break them down.

• Like 2

I didn't think we played well tonight but a win is all that matters in the cup and some much needed money in these testing times.  I think McKirdy has come in for some unfair stick on here, like most of the team he was not great but took his goal well and I still thought he was our most attacking threat.  Since the beginning of last season he has scored 13 goals in 46 games, good tally for a wide player, I certainly don't see a player not trying.

Onto the next round, is it still regionalised all the way through to the last 8, I can remember a few years back being in the Northern Section then in the last 8 losing at Bristol Rovers.

Advert:

4 minutes ago, MBE said:

Sometimes you have to do something different than stick to your position. Players have to take responsibility to fill gaps when we loose the ball - it should be bread and butter for a professional team. 

For me Like I say its great to have a player who can do something different with movement and who has goals in him. Exaclty what we need when we play the dross at this level and we haven't a clue how to break them down.

Playing with a lone ranger,  set the team up as for 10 after a red card,  the ranger is then free to roam.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Norfolk Enclue said:

Yes, just Cambridge from League 2 left in the Southern section, and Tranmere and The Vale in t'Northern. Ex Stokie Jon Parkin is making the draw. So that's us off to Hull and back then. 

Probably as much chance of him eating our ball as there is drawing Hull away.

• Haha 1

Didn't watch the game so unable to comment on it.

My point reading the thread, has there been a more disliked player than McKirdy in the last decade apart from Martin Paterson ?

Was reviled and not given a chance from the day he signed by many.

• Like 2

Advert:

Why cant Robinson or Cullen kick the ball properly?
McKirdy can shoot, but can Askey make him a useful player? With 5 subs there are more options, needed especially to break down defensive teams. Coaching is the key, what will emerge in the second half of the season?

1 hour ago, Nofinikea said:

I dont think anybody denies that McKirdy is a talent.  The problem thats plagued his career is attitude and its no coincidence that every club he has been at couldn't wait to get rid.  Its good that he can come in off the wing and cause problems but when it breaks down he has to work very hard to get his position and the teams shape back.  He isn't anywhere near good enough to be given a free role, not even close.

So you have this talented player, who strops around the place believing he should be the first name on the sheet but fails to understand that he lacks the positional discipline to be a team player, thus he accuses the manager of stifling flair play etc...  Great modern wide players like Giggs and Beckham, had to do the hard work first.

If McKirdy could get his head around this, he may have a chance but I suspect he is a bit too dim.

Yes but he's only had one real club Carlisle, the rest were loans. Villa he clearly was never at that level despite being there from age 18 to 22 and never played a game for them.

He has been a nomad so i think the ' every club ' comment is wide of the mark. 

5] Manager David Artell revealed that: "He even said that if money was an issue then he would look to pay his own way. That made me smile. That shows a real desire and hunger to come out on loan and play some football.

He has had a nomadic few years and Carlisle was his first proper deal.

I completely understand the reservations of people, and the putting in the hard yards. Just feel sometimes you need a littlle different at times.

JMW was often castigated for his work rate and lack of tracking back, one of the best players at Vale in the last 10 years comfortably.

I just personally think there has been an agenda against him from the word go and some won't even give him a chance.

• Like 2

Advert:

7 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Yes but he's only had one real club Carlisle, the rest were loans. Villa he clearly was never at that level despite being there from age 18 to 22 and never played a game for them.

He has been a nomad so i think the ' every club ' comment is wide of the mark. 

5] Manager David Artell revealed that: "He even said that if money was an issue then he would look to pay his own way. That made me smile. That shows a real desire and hunger to come out on loan and play some football.

He has had a nomadic few years and Carlisle was his first proper deal.

I completely understand the reservations of people, and the putting in the hard yards. Just feel sometimes you need a littlle different at times.

JMW was often castigated for his work rate and lack of tracking back, one of the best players at Vale in the last 10 years comfortably.

I just personally think there has been an agenda against him from the word go and some won't even give him a chance.

Spot on. The best of it is nobody on here knows what has gone on behind the scenes (or if anything actually has gone on). It’s something I’ve noticed with vale fans in general we seem to prefer this average hard working players rather than ones who stand out with a bit of flair. Whitfield was the same. Mckirdy has a great record in this division the idea that he’s jumped from club to club because of his attitude is just plane wrong and again because people seem to have something against him. 

Posters always say to give the player a chance however some seemingly haven’t with him and instead just try and start rumours about him. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

Teams get promoted from League Two by being organised and keeping there shape.  They work very hard to get back in shape when they lose the ball etc....

He had 2 managers at Carlisle.  Both commented on his talent but both also commented on his being difficult to manage.  

Artell (wand) didn't go in for him when he was released by Villa for all his good words.

He has a chance here, if he grows up and acknowledges that he is league two for a reason.  If he goes from here, it will be Telford or similar where he ends up.

Teams don't just get promoted by being organised and keeping their shape, they have to have more than that.  Most teams that go up have someone with a bit of x factor about them.  Look at the likes of Charlie Kirk and Danny Mayor who helped clubs get promoted last year, I don't see them helping out their defeneders much.  We as Vale fans seem to think as long as they are running around that will be ok, you need more to get out of the league.

I am not saying McKirdy is the answer but he deserves a chance, for me he had one game at Stevenage and then bombed out of the squad, everyone was awful that night.

• Like 4

Not a good performance, but a win is a win is a win. Win on Saturday, which is much more important, and three wins on the bounce will mean we are well and truly out of the recent rut we found ourselves in. I didn't know too many Wolves players admittedly, but the kid at the back, Ki-Jana Hoever, was very highly thought of at Liverpool and don't be surprised if he's going for 40-50 million in a few years time. At least a few of the players they had on show last night will no doubt go on to have excellent careers.