onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Bolton Wanderers v Port Vale

Fosse69

4 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

as long as someone like legge? He has been off for ages yet is consistently picked. Clark is class and a far better player than mills. Seems a very defensive move to me. As the whole side does today

Blimey, think what might have happened if Askey had picked an attacking team!

Advert

14 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

And neither have we but we put six past them in one game when they had only let in six all season before today at home.  If you want to be miserable, go ahead mate.  I'd rather bask in the 6-3 win.

So despite the win we still managed to concede three (and it could have been 2 or 3 more) against a side that doesn't really score goals, certainly not many of them, to add to all of the goals we've been conceding lately. Scoring six goals and getting three points is fantastic, but it doesn't take away that fact. We've gone quickly from having one of the best defences in the league to being a shambles at the back. Close your eyes and ignore it if you like.

1 hour ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I’ll give JA the benefit of the doubt and say that he’s used the blank week well. The first two goals of either half were outstanding.

I’ll echo what I said about Monty, first name on the team sheet for me, irrespective of playing fullback or winger. But Manny, Worrall and Rodney weren’t far behind and I thought Mills did well.

The defence generally though is still a massive, massive concern and when you think that they hit the bar plus had a goal talked out at 6-3 you could easily be talking about dropped points which, from 6-1 would have been a new low for us. Thankfully it wasn’t.

It seems it either feast or famine with us and I’ve no idea where the seemingly solid defence from early doors has gone. 

I will enjoy this win and having the highlights on loop later!!!

Agree about Manny, one of my favourite players in this squad. Not only is he a great footballing talent for us, he is a gentleman off the pitch working with the community hub. I too would play him every week, injuries permitting, because he's really committed whatever position he's played in. Undersung hero in my view. 

10 minutes ago, TylerB said:

So despite the win we still managed to concede three (and it could have been 2 or 3 more) against a side that doesn't really score goals, certainly not many of them, to add to all of the goals we've been conceding lately. Scoring six goals and getting three points is fantastic, but it doesn't take away that fact. We've gone quickly from having one of the best defences in the league to being a shambles at the back. Close your eyes and ignore it if you like.

Tyler, you say they could have had 2 or 3 more.  How many more could we have had?  Nobody is ignoring that a couple of their goals came from sloppy defending but it doesn't take away from an outstanding team performance and should not be the only thing you concentrate on.  Smile for god's sake.

There's no doubt Bolton could have had more 

I'd suggest a worldie save from Worrall and a Manny open goal meant we ourselves could of had 8. Not to mention other opportunities. 

I enjoyed it immensely and it was a very open game. Not good for the heart rate but I'm basking in this one . 

37 minutes ago, vale victory said:

It really is a great result and I’m hoping it will lift the players but we have to follow it up against Colchester next Saturday , scoring 6 and beating Bolton will be forgotten if we lose next Saturday

Tough game Tuesday after verses Forest green
Askey isn’t out of the woods yet by any means but today might have bought him some more time

Interesting to hear people’s thoughts on January and what changes can we make

A young lad who can fill in for Manny would be nice.

Oyeleke showed today that, when fit and confident, he can pick teams apart with his vision and superb passing. If/when he gets injured, we have no one else to fulfill that role. 

A number 10 willing to get a few minutes here and there would be nice.

I don't think it's unfair to say that whilst today was superb and just what we needed, we need to improve defensively.

You're allowed to enjoy the win and still point out where we could get better. I've had a great afternoon but I'm not going to lie to myself and not suggest that we need to tighten up to get top 7. 

Apart from having the technical skills this game is all about space. Knowing where the space is, getting ur ass in space or covering the space together with ur team mates. When Bolton came back into the game they appeared to find space between the Vale lines of 4-3-3 so perhaps it may be just a simple matter of tightening up the lines a little, keepping the shape and the Vale will be back on track!!!!

Listening to Bolton channel and analyst at game said Vale were not an average but a poor one!!!
In the studio a caller said that Vale should have been four goals up in first ten minutes and at 1-6 he was seriously fearing a double figure defeat.
Highest number of goals conceded by Bolton at their stadium.

Most goals conceded at their stadium is an unbelievable stat considering they've been in the Premier League against multi million pound international players

There is little doubt we should all be happier tonight but as Tyler has said there are still issues. The defence has suddenly turned from being organised to shambolic and the goals are coming from other areas, which is good but not where they are paid to come from the strikers. If at the start of this season we were expecting a negative campaign then todays result would have been outstanding but the reality is we expected to be towards the top of league two. The incidence of conceding goals is escalating and without our six goals it would have been another defeat a heavy one at that. The defensive issues need addressing quickly. Out of interest where are two key players both strikers Mckirdy and Robinson both signed by Askey? i will be a very happy bunny if we start achieving consistency and results but for now it remains a bit of a dream. Heres to next week and Colchester with added positivity, hoping we have turned the proverbial corner. Despite my comments great result well done to all who achieved it.

16 minutes ago, valeparklife said:
2 hours ago, Nightwish said:
Listening to Bolton channel and analyst at game said Vale were not an average but a poor one!!!
In the studio a caller said that Vale should have been four goals up in first ten minutes and at 1-6 he was seriously fearing a double figure defeat.
Highest number of goals conceded by Bolton at their stadium.

Most goals conceded at their stadium is an unbelievable stat considering they've been in the Premier League against multi million pound international players

My old flatmate (not currently answering his phone) is a Bolton fan and I've been to a few games with him when his mate's season ticket was spare.

I've seen them concede 5 at the Reebok although to be fair Bogdan was in goal that day.

I work with a few Wanderers fans as well so the Teams meeting on Monday morning will be interesting. 

38 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Tyler, you say they could have had 2 or 3 more.  How many more could we have had?  Nobody is ignoring that a couple of their goals came from sloppy defending but it doesn't take away from an outstanding team performance and should not be the only thing you concentrate on.  Smile for god's sake.

We could have had a few more too. It could been 6-10. But in my opinion you can be very happy with a win, and ecstatic to see your side score 6 (I didn't think we would ever be capable under Askey) but also be worried about our defending. At 6-1 up we shouldn't be conceding twice just through switching off. It's happening every week now. If we were going to score 4, 5 and 6 every week it wouldn't be such a concern, but obviously that's not going to be the case. If we continue to defend like that then we're going to lose a lot more games then we'll win.

1 hour ago, vale victory said:

It really is a great result and I’m hoping it will lift the players but we have to follow it up against Colchester next Saturday , scoring 6 and beating Bolton will be forgotten if we lose next Saturday

Tough game Tuesday after verses Forest green
Askey isn’t out of the woods yet by any means but today might have bought him some more time

Interesting to hear people’s thoughts on January and what changes can we make

As Clark is our only loan player,  and may not be with us after January, which  position is the priority for a loan signing?

24 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I don't think it's unfair to say that whilst today was superb and just what we needed, we need to improve defensively.

You're allowed to enjoy the win and still point out where we could get better. I've had a great afternoon but I'm not going to lie to myself and not suggest that we need to tighten up to get top 7. 

At 1-6 they had nothing to lose and made a quadruple substitution, which was fairly unprecedented. Maybe that could have been reacted to a bit better. We had a few subs in the bank to play with ourselves, and I was expecting to see some fresh legs on in the centre forward position, either Pope or Cullen, just to help us hold the ball up and take the pressure off.

From 1-6 to 3-6 the last quarter of an hour wasn't as comfortable as it should have been.

Archived