Match Thread: Port Vale v Leyton Orient

Had we held on to the 3 points late on v Tranmere and the draw snatched away from us late again yesterday , the 4 points woud've made a massive difference. Just goes to show how unpredictable football can be and how fickle some fans can be with their hatred at times.I'm certainly not a happy clapper but loved my football club for over 60 yrs.

• Like 3

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stop turning on each other with abuse its ridiculous.  Disagree by all means . We are all sick to death of what's going on but abusing others is crackers   

But everyone was delighted that all the players we had last season re-signed.  Folk were orgasmic when Smith re-signed.  Yet now they're rubbish, too old, etc.  Some re-writing of history going on on

I know it’s sacrilege to suggest it but does anyone else think Scott Brown has fallen below his usual extremely high standards recently?

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Breadwinner said:

We deserved so much more than no points ,couldn't believe that we did not win that we played extremely well at times but the goals we gave away were horrendous and in a way comedy gold the kind of thing you see on a sunday morning not from  top professionals (as at times most of them play like and think they are it was disgusting ).

Smith played a big part in the defeat again I noticed ,can see why no one signed him  in the summer and he ended up here .

Personally think he is ok nothing more .

Montano 's goal thanks for that the only part of the ten pound fee I really enjoyed .

Really disappointed ,down in fact but we go again hey that's the saying ain't it .

What a shambles of a football club COVID has created ,in my opinion we are just playing to maybe reach mid table ,you cannot defend like that and v Tranmere and Scunthorpe ,they only come in our half 3 times hit the post scored and should have had a penalty .

We are very poor defensively at present Montys hit deserved win the game but with hopeless slow motion uncommitted defending what do you expect .

Here we go again!!!VFIA hatred of Smith continues!Don't let on other Stokies are in the squad too 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔,he will go ballistic 😂

Edited by ELDERBEZZA
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Budgie_2260 said:
15 hours ago, Joe B said:
Heskey was only in for an afternoon. Sinclair works with the kids. Not sure there's a link.

IF Askey was sacked, I imagine Fank Sinclair would be the next manager....

Again i ask why? nobody seems to answer

12 hours ago, Jeff. said:

Good evening Jacko,

I hope you are well on what is a fairly mild evening for this time of year.

In regards to your question, Jeff operates as a lone wolf so is unaware of this alliance that you speak of.

I hope this clears things up for you and you have a thoroughly enjoyable evening.

All the best,

Jeff.

you are the Bounty Hunter on here i claim my prize

VFIA is right that Smith has dropped his standards recently but so has pretty much the entire squad.

Stevenage he played a huge part in their first goal and I thought he was terrible for Orients 3rd, stretching for a header and then ended up on the floor. 

However Nathan Smith is only part of a team and squad and it is unfair to continue to chastise him seemingly based on being a Lardie. 

Legge has also dropped off and let's face it as well as a different striker every game we seem to have a different left back every game too. That is not good for defensive cohesion. I'm not making excuses it's a fact. Fitzpatrick one week then not in the squad, Monty the odd game then benched and then Crookes. 

Just give Smith a bit more leeway as he is far from our biggest issue. Though as I said his form is pretty pap whether he supports Lard, Liverpool or Fleetwood. 

• Like 2

Advert:

12 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

VFIA is right that Smith has dropped his standards recently but so has pretty much the entire squad.

Stevenage he played a huge part in their first goal and I thought he was terrible for Orients 3rd, stretching for a header and then ended up on the floor. 

However Nathan Smith is only part of a team and squad and it is unfair to continue to chastise him seemingly based on being a Lardie. 

Legge has also dropped off and let's face it as well as a different striker every game we seem to have a different left back every game too. That is not good for defensive cohesion. I'm not making excuses it's a fact. Fitzpatrick one week then not in the squad, Monty the odd game then benched and then Crookes. 

Just give Smith a bit more leeway as he is far from our biggest issue. Though as I said his form is pretty pap whether he supports Lard, Liverpool or Fleetwood. 

Agreed he’s one of many who’s not on top form, but he certainly wasn’t solely to blame for yesterday’s defeat which was being said in VFIA’s previous post. 

Was it you that said a disruptive player can’t be blamed for the run of results? I think I agree with you on that. We’ve got too many strong pros in the dressing room to let that person get on top IMO. 

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 1

The dreadful run continues, which ever side you blame... Askey or the players that seem to be disrupting the camp, it’s really only a matter of time before change has to come.... and that won’t be players changing.

Another few defeats and Askey will be on a knife edge and rightly so. The man is very one dimensional, little by way of plan B, little by way of motivating a group of professionals (it seems)

Give it time and change will come, remember his/our objective this year, with the support the owners have given him, was/is ‘at least the play offs’ if he falls short, he’ll go, this is a business and the owners know how to run one of them!

• Like 1

Big question is.....who will Askey play as our center forward next game? Monty, Hurst, Conlon, Manny?

Hes gone through our whole collection in the last 4 games, not one goal between them and now run out so why not try the midfielders?

13 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Agreed he’s one of many who’s not on top form, but he certainly wasn’t solely to blame for yesterday’s defeat which was being said in VFIA’s previous post. 

Was it you that said a disruptive player can’t be blamed for the run of results? I think I agree with you on that. We’ve got too many strong pros in the dressing room to let that person get on top IMO. 

Yes I also said it 18 months ago with the alleged trio of Miller, Whitfield and Hannant. 

Is anyone telling me that Pope or Legge for example hasn't had that person by the scruff of the neck and given them a bit of what for ? 

Also Brown is an experienced pro who must of encountered all sorts. 

If I personally worked with a disruptive influence they'd soon be taken to task and it wouldn't affect my daily output. Seems to be an inference that possibility of someone like Mckirdy Is upsetting the applecart. Again he's an easy target because he's new and somewhat of a maverick. 

It's only my opinion and I'm purely guessing but I don't think off field shenanigans have anything to do with our slump. It's a lack of confidence and oomph at crucial moments.

One slight bit of glimmer of hope is that nobody is turning us over big style. Every single defeat is by one goal and I know someone will say that it doesn't matter because we still lost but I don't foresee a 1-6 like Lincoln or a 4-0 drubbing by someone else. Just trying to think of something positive !! 

Ps Cambridge was 3-1 😂

Edited by darren1810
Additional text

Last thing - Defensively we are conceding way too many goals, that’s a massive worry in a team that had one of the best defensive records last season. That’s the problem, you can’t go into a game having to score 2/3 or 4 goals we haven’t got it in us!

It’s not solely about the defensive players, you defend in all positions BUT as some have said, Legge, smith have to take a long hard look at themselves 1st and then consider how they are managing a players through the game.

Simply not good enough and they’ll need to shape up or we bring in reinforcements come Jan by way of loans.

Advert:

Not sure why people are looking for some dark reason for our abject performances.  If the ball bounces off my foot 10 yards when I try to trap it that’s not because I’ve fallen out with a teammate.  If I lose concentration towards the end of the game that’s not because I’ve got a grudge against the manager.  You can probably look into dressing room of any top title winning club and things won’t be all sweetness and light.  It’s what happens when the players get onto the pitch that matters and we simply aren’t doing enough.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Here's one for anybody interested

Question

Who is the number one / first choice left back.

Answers on a postcard please as I'm bewildered. 

With gibbo out I have no idea and neither does askey. Same for the forwards. One game they start, the next not in the squad and then they start again 

• Like 1

Advert:

29 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Here's one for anybody interested

Question

Who is the number one / first choice left back.

Answers on a postcard please as I'm bewildered. 

Who has been since Dickinson left?

Absoloute disgrace we’ve gone this many seasons without a recognised left back.

• Like 2

Almost enjoyed yesterday's game. Excellent start. 
Fell away.
Very anxious in defence leading to comic book goals.
Hit the heights second half.
Again probably trying to hard and becoming anxious in front of goal.
Stunning equaliser by Monty, who was excellent second half.
Finished off by more calamity defending.
Very anxious is the overall verdict.
Needed cool heads to introduce some calm.
Had three centre forwards on the pitch, still none scored.
The hapless Cullen stopping a goal bound shot on the line!
The fourth centre forward nowhere to be seen.
We've gone from a team who defend well but can't score, to a team who are scoring but can't defend!
The Tranmere and Orient games were very open, entertaining affairs, but both lost in spite of scoring five goals!
Suggests Askey has fallen into the trap of believing the hype that we are a good team.
He's lost his hard to beat bedrock that has got us this far.
Right now, we have unravelled.

• Like 2