Match Thread: Port Vale v Leyton Orient

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stop turning on each other with abuse its ridiculous.  Disagree by all means . We are all sick to death of what's going on but abusing others is crackers   

But everyone was delighted that all the players we had last season re-signed.  Folk were orgasmic when Smith re-signed.  Yet now they're rubbish, too old, etc.  Some re-writing of history going on on

I know it’s sacrilege to suggest it but does anyone else think Scott Brown has fallen below his usual extremely high standards recently?

Posted Images

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

6 losses in a row. 2 to second bottom. 1 to a pub side. Only 2 goals from open play in those 6 games. 

How the hell are fans being inpatient?

Because two weeks ago no one was wanting Askey out. That's why they're being impatient.

I do worry a tad in the absence of communication that things will get very fractious in the fanbase. I've found myself more than wound up tonight, which is daft.

Maybe Carol, if she has the intention of sticking with Askey, might want to say so in a tactful way. We all know she's one for stability and consistency and she's done enough for this club where I'd accept her view and shut my mouth if I knew there was no possibility of change. I perhaps wouldn't agree, but I would defer to Carol, as would most others I imagine, as she's more than earned that right.

I understand it could be perceived as the dreaded 'vote of confidence', but if 6 defeats in such poor circumstances haven't triggered questions in her mind, that I don't think anything will.

I think for as long as this poor run continues, and the club is silent, questions will continue to roar in the fanbase in the online sphere; especially with the absence of 'pub talk' or matchday discussions where most people share opinions. We've all been forced to social media/forums, where everything is magnified tenfold, as we can't treat football as an afternoon with family/mates anymore. Carol may think that saying nothing is the best way to show off the view that she isn't worried, but there's no doubt in anyone's mind that there's a lot of criticism currently.

Just an idea. A simple video message of 'hi folks, things aren't good and we're doing all we can to sort it. John is our man and we need to unite together to put this right and push for the top 7'. I probably wouldn't fully agree but would do as Carol asked, which is something I haven't done for any previous owner. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Thats the problem. Askey has failed to bring in players that will replace the best 11 we had last season.

No one will ever convince me that Smith will move onto championship or div 1. He is average and always has a mistake in him. For the last 3 seasons he has not had too much opposition. He is young, local and puts effort in so we see him as the best we have seen for years. Reality he is too small, too slow and not a good enough footballer to be a center back. Hes missed a header over the top of him again today. Look back he makes far too many mistakers and yet he is still first choice for me in our squad.

Pope needs replacing or should i say we need a goal scoring target man. Cullen no. Robinson poor. Dont think either can play as a lone striker. Would still start with Pope if had that choice. Where you have to have some sympathy for all our lone strikers is that they play a game and a half, get taken off the next one has a good 20 min spell and is chosen for the next game.  The same follows and so on. I always thought you need a run of games in a team and not 240 mins and out.

Have not mentioned Rodney because that would be an insult to the others.Three year contract, possible future sell on for profit. You are having a laugh. He is an embarresment for a footballer. Absolutely useless. Pope should retire if the manager chooses Rodney before him. Within 90 seconds he had passed a ball out for a throw in instead of to his teammate and ran the ball out of play.

The biggest issue we have is the midfield three. Joyce, ok just, Conlan sorry he is poor far too often and disappears during a game and spends too much time leaving his foot in tackles. Good footballer but not good enough. Manny, if we get a season from him is ok, but at the moment he is so slow and pedestrian. Again all 3 would be chosen in my first eleven because we have no better.

Worrall, again brill squad player but we rely on him 46 games a season. No goals. Same with Amoo, both chosen each week because we have no better.

Askey has failed big style in recruitment. Today showed this yet again that we are not that good a team and certainly not top ten side

But everyone was delighted that all the players we had last season re-signed.  Folk were orgasmic when Smith re-signed.  Yet now they're rubbish, too old, etc.  Some re-writing of history going on on this forum.  Not least the suggestion that we were outplayed by King's Lynn!!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I thought Amoo started well and had their right back in knots - lost our balance when he had to go off

He does get injured too often though
He should never have started, I thought before the game he can't have recovered and now he will be missing for weeks,ever likely he gets injured

Advert:

It’s a game we should of won and at 2-2 it seemed there would be one winner, we are not getting much luck summed up with the deflection which led to the calamity of their goal (they had another where their lads missed a sitter as well!) moments later we have one which took it off the toes or Rodney for a tap in.

We created more than recent weeks but it seems to come at the cost of the defence going to pot.

Monty a goal was a stunner, we had so many chances where one of our own players blocked it or it wouldn’t bounce, that’s how things go when your on a downer but doesn’t seem to matter if we play well or play awful we are still losing by the odd goal.

Bolton next who are in fine form so could be 6 league defeats on the spin and I can’t see where the next result is going to come from.

Feel so deflated after our good run and the positive summer we had.

I think Askey has gone as far as he can with this side and needs fresh ideas as nothing is changing and we are looking like relegation material, it has 2016-17 all over it, good start before going to pot before Xmas and a failure to stop the rot. I’m worried.

Carol seems to have gone quiet too which is unusual.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, RayWalkers40yarder said:

been saying that about smith for 2+ years and everytime get shot down. so overrated its untrue. carried by other defenders and now legge is struggling for form its showing up what a poor player he is. simple.

I was disappointed when Smith signed again. Unfortunately we need imposing players at this level. It’s league 2. 

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

The fact is we can now basically write off this season. Defeatist? Maybe, but we have now lost as many league games as we did last year. Who thinks we can go the rest of the season unbeaten??

But have actually got more points than we had at this stage last year and we ended a point off the play offs then.  Things are not good but to write off the season is madness.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Because two weeks ago no one was wanting Askey out. That's why they're being impatient.

2 weeks is a long time in football and now the majority of fans want him out. It’s not just that we’ve lost 6 in a row, it’s also who we have played and how we have played.

Askey took over when we were near the bottom of the league, today, nearly 2 years later he played 10 out of 14 players from the squad he inherited who were naff back then, with many of those players well past their best and of the 4 players he played one is on loan and 2 may well not have started had we got a fully for squad. He has done a decent job with the squad he has but he has not improved the team much at all despite having the best most supportive owners I have seen at the club.

Askey needs to go as does whoever is responsible for the signings we are making.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

But everyone was delighted that all the players we had last season re-signed.  Folk were orgasmic when Smith re-signed.  Yet now they're rubbish, too old, etc.  Some re-writing of history going on on this forum.  Not least the suggestion that we were outplayed by King's Lynn!!!

All fair points Jean.

I have long argued that we signed younger players, and the extension of the older player contracts should have, in my view, been balanced by the signing of some younger, more promising players, released by a Cat 1 academy (2nd article down on here: https://pvlollipop.sport.blog/long-reads/). It would have also been better to, instead of signing 9 players (of which several didn't make the squad today) to have signed less but put the money towards players who could consistently add to the very decent team of last year.

Fitzpatrick, Mills, McKirdy, Robinson, and Whitehead have made a negligible impact on the first-team. Different signings could have been made.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 2

Advert:

If the other teams around us win their games in hand we could be in 18th place.  Worried yes I am after seeing the table. 

Next week will be the same formation and more changes in players.  Instead of Rodney will be Cullen.  Amoo will be replaced due to injury.  

Edited by PVFC764

7 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

I was disappointed when Smith signed again. Unfortunately we need imposing players at this level. It’s league 2. 

Can’t agree with that, Smith is easily one of our best players, maybe not at his best at the moment but nobody is. Legge been really good for us but possibly his last season and looks pretty naff when Smith isn’t playing alongside him, Brisley, steady stand in but not as good as the other two. Smith is certainly better than any of Askeys signings and I’m not jus on about this season. 

2 minutes ago, Joe B said:

All fair points Jean.

I have long argued that we signed younger players, and the extension of the older player contracts should have, in my view, been balanced by the signing of some younger, more promising players, released by a Cat 1 academy (2nd article down on here: https://pvlollipop.sport.blog/long-reads/). It would have also been better to, instead of signing 9 players (of which several didn't make the squad today) to have signed less but put the money towards players who could consistently add to the very decent team of last year.

Fitzpatrick, Mills, and Whitehead have made a negligible impact on the first-team. Different signings could have been made.

I thought Fitzpatrick had a decent game today.  It was the hole left by his departure that partially led to their winner.  The one player I wouldn't have signed is McKirdy.

• Haha 1

Advert:

1 minute ago, Jacko51 said:

I thought Fitzpatrick had a decent game today.  It was the hole left by his departure that partially led to their winner.  The one player I wouldn't have signed is McKirdy.

The only one?

you would have signed Robinson?

• Like 1

Having watched the goals back again not only are they a comedy of errors by us, but they are also a comedy from orient too. Every one of their goals came from a mishit pass, scuffed shot or a lucky deflection that just fell nicely for them. You make your own luck I guess. The second would be hilarious if it wasn’t us. But the third highlights an Achilles heel at the back post, where someone has come in unmarked to score whilst our defenders are virtually challenging each other. Awful stuff. 

20 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

We’ve lost 6 games in a row!!! 

Nobody is being impatient losing 6 games is bloody awful. I know let’s wait until we’ve lost 10 in a row 

• Like 2