Match Thread: Port Vale v Leyton Orient

5 minutes ago, philmpv said:

You'd better write into carol with that pearl of wisdom JB. I didn't realise how easy it was. You ever thought of buying a football club?

No, you made the point that Vale fans keep complaining about the manager.

My point is that maybe the managers all deserved criticism? You offered no argument other than that Vale fans are consistently (correctly) sick of being a bad football team, apart from some sanctimonious criticism that Vale fans, who have spent most of the last 20 years in the bottom tier and facing financial ruin, are in some way serial moaners and love to slag off managers.

I am a massive fan of Carol and worked for months to help her secure the club. I trust her judgement.

Edited by Joe B

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stop turning on each other with abuse its ridiculous.  Disagree by all means . We are all sick to death of what's going on but abusing others is crackers   

But everyone was delighted that all the players we had last season re-signed.  Folk were orgasmic when Smith re-signed.  Yet now they're rubbish, too old, etc.  Some re-writing of history going on on

I know it’s sacrilege to suggest it but does anyone else think Scott Brown has fallen below his usual extremely high standards recently?

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

What were the stats about xGoals in our game against them, Joe?

That's not how it works Jean.

xG is not predictive of the next game, but measures the quality of chances you've had in already played games. It can't predict the next game.

So it measures how good the chances we have created have been, and how good the chances we've conceded have been, based on historic averages. We don't create many good chances and concede a lot of good ones, hence us now being 13th.

Edited by Joe B

1 minute ago, Joe B said:

That's not how it works Jean.

xG is not predictive of the next game, but measures the quality of chances you've had in already played games. It can't predict the next game.

So it measures how good the chances we have created have been, and how good the chances we've conceded have been, based on historic averages. We don't create many good chances and concede a lot of good ones, hence us now being 13th.

So what you’re saying is that the stats can’t tell us whether or not Vale deserved to win/lose/ draw a particular game??

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jacko51 said:

So what you’re saying is that the stats can’t tell us whether or not Vale deserved to win/lose/ draw a particular game??

Yes they can. They can tell us whether we deserved to win/draw/lose a game already played.

They can't predict games. They're retrospective stats. They do analyse underlying trends that can offer us an insight into our strengths and weaknesses, though.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

What were the stats about xGoals in our game against them, Joe?

You seriously asking for stats to prove a point? It was kings lynn a pub side who concede on average 3 a game. 

We missed our chances. Just because we created more means nothing 

Advert:

13 minutes ago, philmpv said:
20 minutes ago, Coyney Valiant said:
So you think askey should carry on 

Yes quite honestly as I've stated before.

Why? 

I can’t think of one reason he deserves to stay. Genuinely interested as to why you think he should stay 

6 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Yes they can. They can tell us whether we deserved to win/draw/lose a game already played.

They can't predict games. They're retrospective stats. They do analyse underlying trends that can offer us an insight into our strengths and weaknesses, though.

That’s what I was asking. What did they stats say about the King’s Lynn game and theScunny game?

6 minutes ago, Joe B said:

If we’ve been useless for a few games, we’re likely to continue being useless, unless we do something different.

Advert:

Why? 
I can’t think of one reason he deserves to stay. Genuinely interested as to why you think he should stay 
I am a believer in continuity where possible. Up until 5 league games ago few were seriously questioning JA's position. The players are clearly, to me, still playing for him, and we haven't turned into a p1ss poor team overnight. What goals, today, can you seriously blame on the manager? Their first was from Joyce (not a JA signing) not intercepting the ball in. Their second was an absolute comedy of errors that wouldn't happen again if that game was played another 99 times. Their third was poor defensive positioning from monty and smith (neither JA signings). Yes, JA has his flaws, but name me a manager who hadn't. It's through sheer persistence and patience that we'll get through this. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I genuinely don't think changing the manager is the answer. I'm entitled to my opinion as much as you are yours
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, philmpv said:

I am a believer in continuity where possible. Up until 5 league games ago few were seriously questioning JA's position. The players are clearly, to me, still playing for him, and we haven't turned into a p1ss poor team overnight. What goals, today, can you seriously blame on the manager? Their first was from Joyce (not a JA signing) not intercepting the ball in. Their second was an absolute comedy of errors that wouldn't happen again if that game was played another 99 times. Their third was poor defensive positioning from monty and smith (neither JA signings). Yes, JA has his flaws, but name me a manager who hadn't. It's through sheer persistence and patience that we'll get through this. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I genuinely don't think changing the manager is the answer. I'm entitled to my opinion as much as you are yours

I can tell you right now your wrong if you think he should stay

Advert:

2 hours ago, RayWalkers40yarder said:

thing is if askey does go the cheap option is to put sinclair in the manager role. our club is synonymous with the word cheap . its been like that for a over a decade.

pay peanuts expect monkeys.

Was Carol in charge then? I dont know why people are just expecting a cheap option,i might be wrong but i am expecting askey to be given the bolton game then that would be it,no doubt then pugh would take charge and see who applies,just have to be careful as some right <ovf censored> ones apply for jobs sol campbell,ricketts etc may have missed out with keith hill going tranmere imo

When all said and done Askey is still manager so as he says we go again 🙂 

47 minutes ago, davehartshill said:

<ovf censored> Hell he’s boring and uninspiring. 

I think thats really unfair Dave.

I have questioned JA for a few weeks and said last Saturday he needed 4 points from Stevenage and today. If not he needs to go but I think his calm "boring" manner loose/win or draw is a strength.  I thought this really helped us when he took over the club with our confidence shot, we looked absolutely doomed. We only see what JA wants you to see outwardly. We have no idea how he really is in the dressing room to find out if players find him inspiring.Given the longevity of his career and promotion on his cv, saving our club to be a Chesterfield then I would suggest some players do find him inspiring. 

Having said that I will say the same thing I posted a few games back post interview. He sounds like a beaten man who doesn't know how to turn this around... thats why I want him to go.

Edited by MBE

2 hours ago, rider1308 said:

When you’ve calmed down Carol and co, please could you make a statement to the fans via the press as to what your plans are regarding the on field situation. 

I am actually pleased she stays quiet look at the total opposite in Gorm... its a refreshing change imo,when she needs to say something on the matter then i am sure she will