onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Leyton Orient

Fosse69

Looks like i have succeeded in bringing all the loons in out of the basket.....sorry folks,lets get back on track

Just when I thought it wasn’t possible to make the thread anymore difficult to read with all the negativity those 3 pop out of their box

Advert

1 minute ago, osprey said:

Just when I thought it wasn’t possible to make the thread anymore difficult to read with all the negativity those 3 pop out of their box emoji51.png

Good afternoon osprey,

I hope you are having a very enjoyable Sunday afternoon, on what is a fine but slightly foggy autumnal day.

In regards to one's comment, I'd like to jump to the defence of Jeff's fellow Valiants as they can be excused for having feelings of a negative nature.

Jeff's fellow Valiants are having to endure performances under John Colin Askey that can only be compared to a holiday to Cleethorpes that I regrettably went on in the summer of 1997.

One won't go into detail but throughout Jeff's social circle the infamous Cleethorpes trip of 97' is still banned from conversation to this very day.

All the very best,

Jeff.

11 minutes ago, Jeff. said:

Good afternoon osprey,

I hope you are having a very enjoyable Sunday afternoon, on what is a fine but slightly foggy autumnal day.

In regards to one's comment, I'd like to jump to the defence of Jeff's fellow Valiants as they can be excused for having feelings of a negative nature.

Jeff's fellow Valiants are having to endure performances under John Colin Askey that can only be compared to a holiday to Cleethorpes that I regrettably went on in the summer of 1997.

One won't go into detail but throughout Jeff's social circle the infamous Cleethorpes trip of 97' is still banned from conversation to this very day.

All the very best,

Jeff.

This is getting <ovf censored> ridiculous now. 

Good afternoon osprey,
All the very best,
Jeff.

I take your point maybe depressing is a better description than negative

( good to see though that you started your reply using ‘I’ rather than ‘Jeff’, shows we all slip up sometimes)

2 minutes ago, osprey said:

I take your point maybe depressing is a better description than negative

( good to see though that you started your reply using ‘I’ rather than ‘Jeff’, shows we all slip up sometimes)

Good afternoon again osprey,

I'd just like to make you aware that one isn't pigeonholed to just one person when referring to myself. 

I may refer to myself as "I" at times or sometimes "Jeff".  It's however I feel at the time old friend. Jeff hopes this clears up any confusion for you. 

When I worked in Norway back in the late 80's they used to refer to me as "The Governor". So feel free to refer to me as that if you wish. 

All the very best,

Jeff.

5 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Here's one for anybody interested

Question

Who is the number one / first choice left back.

Answers on a postcard please as I'm bewildered. 

I think we should stick with Monty there. But the problem with Amoo being injured brings a knock on effect with chopping and changing of the wingers with Worrall, Rodney and Monty all getting a start there. 

If is Amoo is out then play fitz left back with Monty on the left wing.  If Amoo is fit play worrall on the left wing with Monty left back. 

If Gibbo had been fit then it would be monty (because Clark wouldn’t be here otherwise)

When Gibbo comes back and if Clark is still here then it would be Clark. 

If Sproson has a hand in it then Crookes every day of the week at left back. 

1 hour ago, valeparklife said:

Montano is the best option at LB

Then Fitzpatrick (only as backup)

Then Crookes (who should be released once his contract is up).

Then in the summer we should sign a capable, natural LB!

I think it really does depends how we play. 

If we played a more solid 442 which I would like to see us play then its Fitz. I think he has done little wrong all season and always looks quite sound defensively. 

In JA's 433 then Monty all day long because we are very reliant on the fullbacks pushing on . This has become our Achilles though as teams have figures out how to play us and we are so vulnerable on the counter attack with the Legge and Smith pulled out wide. How many times do we pull opposition centre halves out of position? Virtually bloody never!!

5 hours ago, Sting said:

Sting detects the attempt at humour, but that is ok.

If you ever change the way you think about Sting, we may be able to sit and have a smoke together.

Sting will leave the thought out there, until this time it is goodbye. 

I like Sting.  It's the failed attempts to copy him that I don't!

14 hours ago, ELDERBEZZA said:

Had we held on to the 3 points late on v Tranmere and the draw snatched away from us late again yesterday , the 4 points woud've made a massive difference. Just goes to show how unpredictable football can be and how fickle some fans can be with their hatred at times.I'm certainly not a happy clapper but loved my football club for over 60 yrs.

I too love my football club and would never be too hard on the club,management or players. That said i feel i have the right to comment on my own views. I feel i know enough, having seen 50 years of football at the Vale, to know what is right and wrong in a player at the Vale.

Yes there is a fine line between success and failure. No Joyce sending off and who knows but i have also seen performances and not just results to comment on.

Have seen consistent mistakes in Smith over the years. The reason why i cannot see him moving on. Still my choice for his position because we have no one else better.

Rodney will not make it. Waste of a squad place.

Conlan , probably the best footballer but will never be part of a team winning promotion and we need better to achieve promotion.

Worrall again my choice for his position but while he is our main hope for creativity and goals, we will not achieve promotion. He is or should be a good squad player.

We have no goal scorer. We have to start with Pope for the majority of games until we have a better replacement.

With no real target man, why do we have to play with two out and out wingers . Very few clubs do. It means the two wingers need to score 20 plaus goals minimum.    4 4 2 surely would be better. Strengthening the midfield. Maybe then we dont need to play a defensive midfield man to cover for us. Waste of a player for me.

Will we get in the playoffs with this squad no. Said this at the start and am not too surprised with our performances so far. I think we are getting what is expected from them and i certainly do not see us scoring goals and keeping clean sheets. Aslo said at start of season we need Brown to play out of his skin and keep 15 plus clean sheets and win 10 plus games by one goal to achieve playoffs.

As for Askey. Wouldnt like to comment on who is a good or poor manager. My view is i would prefer to have a lucky manager anytime. Thought at first Askey would be our lucky manager. Not sure now. Askey picks the players and recent games the players have let him and us down big style. But Askey signed the players.

Heartbreaking now for Carol. Everything she has done and is doing for the club and area makes me feel proud to be a Vale fan again. If only results matched her efforts. Unfortunately it goes to show that its only results that matter to the majority. Thats why they pay to see the Vale play. This sort of run is awful and we all want it to end a.s.a.p.

So for our club i just hope we can turn it around and stop me looking down at the bottom of the league. Done this today for the first time this season.

p.s. Missing my mate Owd Sage. Even now he would be able to convince me that in three seasons we will be in the premiership. Miss those half time chats more than the match.

57 minutes ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

I too love my football club and would never be too hard on the club,management or players. That said i feel i have the right to comment on my own views. I feel i know enough, having seen 50 years of football at the Vale, to know what is right and wrong in a player at the Vale.

Yes there is a fine line between success and failure. No Joyce sending off and who knows but i have also seen performances and not just results to comment on.

Have seen consistent mistakes in Smith over the years. The reason why i cannot see him moving on. Still my choice for his position because we have no one else better.

Rodney will not make it. Waste of a squad place.

Conlan , probably the best footballer but will never be part of a team winning promotion and we need better to achieve promotion.

Worrall again my choice for his position but while he is our main hope for creativity and goals, we will not achieve promotion. He is or should be a good squad player.

We have no goal scorer. We have to start with Pope for the majority of games until we have a better replacement.

With no real target man, why do we have to play with two out and out wingers . Very few clubs do. It means the two wingers need to score 20 plaus goals minimum.    4 4 2 surely would be better. Strengthening the midfield. Maybe then we dont need to play a defensive midfield man to cover for us. Waste of a player for me.

Will we get in the playoffs with this squad no. Said this at the start and am not too surprised with our performances so far. I think we are getting what is expected from them and i certainly do not see us scoring goals and keeping clean sheets. Aslo said at start of season we need Brown to play out of his skin and keep 15 plus clean sheets and win 10 plus games by one goal to achieve playoffs.

As for Askey. Wouldnt like to comment on who is a good or poor manager. My view is i would prefer to have a lucky manager anytime. Thought at first Askey would be our lucky manager. Not sure now. Askey picks the players and recent games the players have let him and us down big style. But Askey signed the players.

Heartbreaking now for Carol. Everything she has done and is doing for the club and area makes me feel proud to be a Vale fan again. If only results matched her efforts. Unfortunately it goes to show that its only results that matter to the majority. Thats why they pay to see the Vale play. This sort of run is awful and we all want it to end a.s.a.p.

So for our club i just hope we can turn it around and stop me looking down at the bottom of the league. Done this today for the first time this season.

p.s. Missing my mate Owd Sage. Even now he would be able to convince me that in three seasons we will be in the premiership. Miss those half time chats more than the match.

I miss Owd Sage too. 

The times of the goals against and in my opinion the manner of them are making Port Vale the laughing stock of the area ,I mean the rival fans are loving it (not all but I should imagine a fair few of them are loving the Vale self destruction)it's making them happier than there own teams efforts ,says a lot really .

When you look at the overall record of J Askey as manager he has won 25 drawn 23 and lost 22 of his games since becoming manager so that's a one in 3 win rate by my reckoning but this run of defeats needs to stop and how does it stop it by defending properly which lets face it we have not been doing .

Every game there looks to me like players not putting there bodies on the line for the club and that's unacceptable S Brown for example is always rooted to  this line the first goal sat why is he not on his toes to come and claim the ball it's a floated cross it's in his 6 yard area. 

Tranmere and Scunthorpe winning goals ,yes they are good hits but our players were either diving on the floor because they were not brave enough take a hit Conlon and Oyeleke I think  (smith isn't the only one feel my wrath ) well surely committed Vale player takes one in his midriff for the club .

Newport whoever's man it was supposed be cost us that game how did Burgess get isolated from the corner where was Ellisons marker so whoever's it was cost us a point there .

I could go on Clark always when defending let's himself get the wrong side of the oppositions winger ,I've not being overly impressed with him going forwards he is good when he is positive his defensive side leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion .

Defensively a shambles v Tranmere they scored 5 second half goals (1 wrongly disallowed )Scunthorpe only come in our 3 times Loft went past Smith like he wasn't there and hit the post ,that lad hit a screamer and Oyeleke may as well have being making the tea in the paddock and the same player should have had a penalty awarded against him aswell .Leyton Orient sat they had 3 shots on target they all went in and another situation where they narrowly missed where Smith was no where near his man .

The second goal the benny hill one one question for Mr Smith lovers why is he the only Vale player so deep when the shot comes in why isn't out of the box attacking the ball and originally he did block the shot then whacked the ball against his own player Fitzpatrick (where was the communication then it deflected back Leggey did his best but to no avail and even then Smith could have blocked the shot but threw himself on the floor and wouldn't take one for the team  

The third goal that goes down as a assist from that player who most love on this website and came after Vale had played a really good second half which should have resulted in the scoreline Vale 5 Leyton Orient2 but instead read as we all know .

If you look at the opposition goals from the past month we are beating ourselvesthats more annoying than being deservedly beaten .

Askey in for me but he really needs a new Centre half a defensive minded right back and cover for Joyce and a new striker or play Pope but in my opinion we cannot keep on asking Popey to save us we need new heroes ,I've wrote this season off now but I expect when covid has gone Vale still to have a fanbase 6 defeats in a row will just encourage folk to just not bother going when the time is to go back which to me is the most disappointing aspect of this debacle and terrible run of results which have occured .

It must not go on but do we trust these players put a end to it ,I'm not trusting my message to them is prove me wrong 

UTV 

On 28/11/2020 at 18:56, Jacko51 said:

But everyone was delighted that all the players we had last season re-signed.  Folk were orgasmic when Smith re-signed.  Yet now they're rubbish, too old, etc.  Some re-writing of history going on on this forum.  Not least the suggestion that we were outplayed by King's Lynn!!!

That's the nature of football fans I think.

Just think back to stoke fans writing off their players, they change manager and all of a sudden they're world beaters again. 

I totally agree with the re-writing of histroy point you make about the previous 6, although I have thought I was wrong about many of those games if I look back on them now. In isolation there's only really Stevenage and Newport that we definitely deserved to lose on the balance of play...and I thought we did ok at newport really.

I think the longer the run goes on the more context is added to the previous 6 games - even as recently as after Newport I was thinking wow, we've really not had the rub of the green in the last 4 games...but now looking back I think I was writing off the mistakes as off days or bad luck or annoyance at the amount of injury time at newport etc...Stevenage changed that because we we were so poor, and then Leyton Orient was a completely winnable game yet we managed to somehow concede 3 goals. I haven't flipped 180 on the others - we conspired to beat ourselves in most of them, but I've definitely changed my opinion on them as I've got more information.

I think watching vale has taught me that when you can't really see how your team sets up to score goals then you are in trouble. This run reminds me completely of the start of the end of bruno - we'd played some really decent football under him and got off to a pretty good start points wise. A few defeats in and I was thinking that we've been a bit unlucky and we're better than those bad results suggest, but once the rot sets in you are in trouble. I think we're right on the cusp of that, if not there already. And once that sets in, you can go from looking like an ok team for 10 games to looking like absolute relegation fodder for the last 30 odd.

We should all be thankful that this forum has a wide range of views. How boring it would be for debate purposes if everyone thought and agreed over the same things. Debate is healhy positive or negative. Solutions can only be found or sought through discussion. Good old ovf a big thank you to all of you who contribute to this special site..

Archived