onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Leyton Orient

Fosse69

9 minutes ago, ELDERBEZZA said:

Orient fans stated they did a "smash and grab raid" on Port Vale today ,as Port Vale deserved to win .That second half certainly.Worrying times but hopefully we turn these results around.We are certainly missing Gibbons.

I agree we are missing his attributes, but we aren’t losing games because he’s missing though. Players are making errors and we are being punished for them. Players are underperforming and the manager is making tactical errors too. 

Advert

54 minutes ago, Chopper Harris said:

Absolutely spot on. Completely agree. 

A lot of fans are this forum are too impatient. 

Define impatient. I called out Askey this time last year for the number of late goals and consequently dropped points. 

The fact is we can now basically write off this season. Defeatist? Maybe, but we have now lost as many league games as we did last year. Who thinks we can go the rest of the season unbeaten??

And show me a team that got promotion after losing 8 of its first 15 games (remember “we’ll get a good feel for where we are at after 10 games” as we’re always told) I bet there aren’t many.

So, realistically we are set for another season in L2, worst case the Conference because, as I said earlier, this run has got a relegation feel to it after today.

29 minutes ago, RayWalkers40yarder said:

been saying that about smith for 2+ years and everytime get shot down. so overrated its untrue. carried by other defenders and now legge is struggling for form its showing up what a poor player he is. simple.

How does this insight help us in our current predicament? Too many lay the blame at this player or that player. Last time I checked, football is a team game. Right now as a team, players and management, results are just not good enough. Now it is the first serious test of the owners (who I think are great btw) We need to find a solution because expectation is the driving force. 

15 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Define impatient. I called out Askey this time last year for the number of late goals and consequently dropped points. 

Last season those late goals turned wins into draws. This season draws to defeats.😔

We seem to play the same way every week , get the ball wide to Amoo Worrall etc then cross into the box with no one attacking the ball

Striker isolated every week , no midfielders up in support or getting beyond the striker

It’s all very predictable every week and boring

Can anyone see Askey turning this around ????
Yes we dominated second half today but we don’t seem to be inventive or clinical

We need a change I’m afraid or I just see more of the same every week

38 minutes ago, RayWalkers40yarder said:

been saying that about smith for 2+ years and everytime get shot down. so overrated its untrue. carried by other defenders and now legge is struggling for form its showing up what a poor player he is. simple.

A bit harsh, you’re just looking for someone to scapegoat. He’s been undoubtedly one of our most consistent performers of the last 3 or 4 seasons. How do you explain him being so consistent with the amount of defensive partners he had under Aspin for example? Were they all carrying him too? Are players carrying him when he’s dominating centre forwards and winning his own personal battles during most games? He’s just going through a blip at the moment like all players will do. 

What I would note is that it's all gone really quiet on Twitter etc. Little for ages from the owner or her team, little really from Tideswell, no post match videos of players coming off the pitch etc. It's really different. What a shame we agreed on last season finishing early and the final few games being cancelled due to no fans going in grounds , what difference did that make?

I was surprised when Fitzpatrick was taken off.He was ,probably,having his best game for us.Maybe he could have prevented their third goal.At the time of him going off  Monty looked our most dangerous player  and may have scored in any case.The goal came virtually straight after the Pope for Fitz change.Did we need Pope on?We had 2 strikers on already.Pope did nothing when he came on.Orient were lucky to get a throw in ,in the second half.Our heads dropped when they scored their second.They should have scored again.Second half I thought we were a bit unlucky.The ball didn’t drop kindly for us in the box.Rodney should have done better a  couple of times but apart from that...

I do worry a tad in the absence of communication that things will get very fractious in the fanbase. I've found myself more than wound up tonight, which is daft.

Maybe Carol, if she has the intention of sticking with Askey, might want to say so in a tactful way. We all know she's one for stability and consistency and she's done enough for this club where I'd accept her view and shut my mouth if I knew there was no possibility of change. I perhaps wouldn't agree, but I would defer to Carol, as would most others I imagine, as she's more than earned that right.

I understand it could be perceived as the dreaded 'vote of confidence', but if 6 defeats in such poor circumstances haven't triggered questions in her mind, that I don't think anything will.

I think for as long as this poor run continues, and the club is silent, questions will continue to roar in the fanbase in the online sphere; especially with the absence of 'pub talk' or matchday discussions where most people share opinions. We've all been forced to social media/forums, where everything is magnified tenfold, as we can't treat football as an afternoon with family/mates anymore. Carol may think that saying nothing is the best way to show off the view that she isn't worried, but there's no doubt in anyone's mind that there's a lot of criticism currently.

Just an idea. A simple video message of 'hi folks, things aren't good and we're doing all we can to sort it. John is our man and we need to unite together to put this right and push for the top 7'. I probably wouldn't fully agree but would do as Carol asked, which is something I haven't done for any previous owner. 

1 hour ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Thats the problem. Askey has failed to bring in players that will replace the best 11 we had last season.

No one will ever convince me that Smith will move onto championship or div 1. He is average and always has a mistake in him. For the last 3 seasons he has not had too much opposition. He is young, local and puts effort in so we see him as the best we have seen for years. Reality he is too small, too slow and not a good enough footballer to be a center back. Hes missed a header over the top of him again today. Look back he makes far too many mistakers and yet he is still first choice for me in our squad.

Pope needs replacing or should i say we need a goal scoring target man. Cullen no. Robinson poor. Dont think either can play as a lone striker. Would still start with Pope if had that choice. Where you have to have some sympathy for all our lone strikers is that they play a game and a half, get taken off the next one has a good 20 min spell and is chosen for the next game.  The same follows and so on. I always thought you need a run of games in a team and not 240 mins and out.

Have not mentioned Rodney because that would be an insult to the others.Three year contract, possible future sell on for profit. You are having a laugh. He is an embarresment for a footballer. Absolutely useless. Pope should retire if the manager chooses Rodney before him. Within 90 seconds he had passed a ball out for a throw in instead of to his teammate and ran the ball out of play.

The biggest issue we have is the midfield three. Joyce, ok just, Conlan sorry he is poor far too often and disappears during a game and spends too much time leaving his foot in tackles. Good footballer but not good enough. Manny, if we get a season from him is ok, but at the moment he is so slow and pedestrian. Again all 3 would be chosen in my first eleven because we have no better.

Worrall, again brill squad player but we rely on him 46 games a season. No goals. Same with Amoo, both chosen each week because we have no better.

Askey has failed big style in recruitment. Today showed this yet again that we are not that good a team and certainly not top ten side

But everyone was delighted that all the players we had last season re-signed.  Folk were orgasmic when Smith re-signed.  Yet now they're rubbish, too old, etc.  Some re-writing of history going on on this forum.  Not least the suggestion that we were outplayed by King's Lynn!!!

Archived