onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Leyton Orient

Fosse69

2 minutes ago, Chopper Harris said:

I have no idea where we will end up finishing. We are in November and the season finishes in May. Why is it that we have to finish in the top 7? We haven’t finished in a playoff spot for over a decade. What is wrong with building a team gradually and winning promotion. I am not being negative just a realist. There are 24 teams all wanting the same thing. We are not entitled to anything. 

Christ 

Advert

1 minute ago, Chopper Harris said:

I have no idea where we will end up finishing. We are in November and the season finishes in May. Why is it that we have to finish in the top 7? We haven’t finished in a playoff spot for over a decade. What is wrong with building a team gradually and winning promotion. I am not being negative just a realist. There are 24 teams all wanting the same thing. We are not entitled to anything. 

We have not had a playoff spot in a decade because for over half of said decade we were in league 1 and the other bit was the decline with the promotion achieved automatically in the middle. 

Recent years have been awful with Askey appearing to have started a turn around. This has now ended. 

Div 4 is not good enough. 

25 minutes ago, philmpv said:

I am a believer in continuity where possible. Up until 5 league games ago few were seriously questioning JA's position. The players are clearly, to me, still playing for him, and we haven't turned into a p1ss poor team overnight. What goals, today, can you seriously blame on the manager? Their first was from Joyce (not a JA signing) not intercepting the ball in. Their second was an absolute comedy of errors that wouldn't happen again if that game was played another 99 times. Their third was poor defensive positioning from monty and smith (neither JA signings). Yes, JA has his flaws, but name me a manager who hadn't. It's through sheer persistence and patience that we'll get through this. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I genuinely don't think changing the manager is the answer. I'm entitled to my opinion as much as you are yours

I don’t think ‘(not a JA signing)’ is a very good defence of askey to be honest because it just highlights that his signings can’t get into his own team.

3 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Club match report reckons we “dominated”. Such delusion is harmful and just not being honest to fans. 

I missed most of the first half so can’t comment on that, but we did dominate the second half without a doubt.

1 hour ago, Gareths54 said:

There’s no chance of any change unfortunately we have a owner who’s main interest is to plough all the money the club generates ie Man City / tv money plus checkatrade trophy etc into the pot to pay the outstanding payments to Smurthwaite.

Secondly we have a none league manager whose recruitment is dire and has been fortunate to inherit most of his squad from previous managers and reliant on Phil Sprostons contacts.

In brief the club has had no ambition for years despite having a core base of loyal supporters and is happy to make do with second rate managers and players alike.

That first bit is total and utter twonkles,they have ploughed money into supporting the players and the club with no income other than the season ticket money and yes they keep up their payments to gorm,they also have plans further down the chain that money will be used for......really lucky to have them and when decisions are to be made they will make them and i will support them whatever they choose to do.

10 minutes ago, MBE said:

I think thats really unfair Dave.

I have questioned JA for a few weeks and said last Saturday he needed 4 points from Stevenage and today. If not he needs to go but I think his calm "boring" manner loose/win or draw is a strength.  I thought this really helped us when he took over the club with our confidence shot, we looked absolutely doomed. We only see what JA wants you to see outwardly. We have no idea how he really is in the dressing room to find out if players find him inspiring.Given the longevity of his career and promotion on his cv, saving our club to be a Chesterfield then I would suggest some players do find him inspiring. 

Having said that I will say the same thing I posted a few games back post interview. He sounds like a beaten man who doesn't know how to turn this around... thats why I want him to go.

Yes, he sounded drained and defeated. I felt truly sorry for the man because alongside the recent defeats we've had some abysmal luck and a fair few referees' decisions that have seriously cost us; and we can't forget how he stabilised the team and took us to the verge of the play-offs last season. We owe Askey a lot and he deserves a few pints from us as Vale supporters for what he's achieved. But every manager reaches his limits and, as we've seen, I think Askey has taken us as far as he can.

I could be proved wrong because I don't think the club will sack him yet - at least not until they're satisfied it's absolutely beyond doubt that he can't take us on. Our owners have put a lot of faith and investment into the club and they're not going to risk this with what they might see as a premature decision. Which you can understand.

My judgement is different but I'm not the owner and, in the end, we have to trust them. They're experienced, successful business people and they know how to operate. My only worry is that they'll leave it too late because appointing a new manager after the January window when there's no chance to bring in any new players and less time to turn things around would be hazardous.

We will see. UTV. 

9 minutes ago, philmpv said:

I am a believer in continuity where possible. Up until 5 league games ago few were seriously questioning JA's position. The players are clearly, to me, still playing for him, and we haven't turned into a p1ss poor team overnight. What goals, today, can you seriously blame on the manager? Their first was from Joyce (not a JA signing) not intercepting the ball in. Their second was an absolute comedy of errors that wouldn't happen again if that game was played another 99 times. Their third was poor defensive positioning from monty and smith (neither JA signings). Yes, JA has his flaws, but name me a manager who hadn't. It's through sheer persistence and patience that we'll get through this. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I genuinely don't think changing the manager is the answer. I'm entitled to my opinion as much as you are yours

Thats the problem. Askey has failed to bring in players that will replace the best 11 we had last season.

No one will ever convince me that Smith will move onto championship or div 1. He is average and always has a mistake in him. For the last 3 seasons he has not had too much opposition. He is young, local and puts effort in so we see him as the best we have seen for years. Reality he is too small, too slow and not a good enough footballer to be a center back. Hes missed a header over the top of him again today. Look back he makes far too many mistakers and yet he is still first choice for me in our squad.

Pope needs replacing or should i say we need a goal scoring target man. Cullen no. Robinson poor. Dont think either can play as a lone striker. Would still start with Pope if had that choice. Where you have to have some sympathy for all our lone strikers is that they play a game and a half, get taken off the next one has a good 20 min spell and is chosen for the next game.  The same follows and so on. I always thought you need a run of games in a team and not 240 mins and out.

Have not mentioned Rodney because that would be an insult to the others.Three year contract, possible future sell on for profit. You are having a laugh. He is an embarresment for a footballer. Absolutely useless. Pope should retire if the manager chooses Rodney before him. Within 90 seconds he had passed a ball out for a throw in instead of to his teammate and ran the ball out of play.

The biggest issue we have is the midfield three. Joyce, ok just, Conlan sorry he is poor far too often and disappears during a game and spends too much time leaving his foot in tackles. Good footballer but not good enough. Manny, if we get a season from him is ok, but at the moment he is so slow and pedestrian. Again all 3 would be chosen in my first eleven because we have no better.

Worrall, again brill squad player but we rely on him 46 games a season. No goals. Same with Amoo, both chosen each week because we have no better.

Askey has failed big style in recruitment. Today showed this yet again that we are not that good a team and certainly not top ten side

2 minutes ago, Conrad said:
6 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Club match report reckons we “dominated”. Such delusion is harmful and just not being honest to fans. 

I missed most of the first half so can’t comment on that, but we did dominate the second half without a doubt.

We dominated until we scored. Second half we did, until there player was injured and basically stopped the flow. He stopped the game for a good 4-5mins. We then shut off- they score. Not sure if it was a masterclass tactic from Orient or not.

12 minutes ago, Chopper Harris said:

How long can we keep building for ffs? We’ve been stuck in this league for what 4/5 seasons? 

Our spine is getting on a bit. Askey has signed woefully so it will be another clear out come the summer. So then what? Another year of rebuilding? Why are some fans happy for us to just rot year after year in this awful division?!?!  Just because we haven’t finished there Dosent mean we should keep accepting it! Infact it’s the opposite. Hate this lack of ambition 

6 minutes ago, Chopper Harris said:

No, you're right, we are not entitled to success. But, clearly, the aim this season was to finish higher than last season. I'm guessing that Carol has set JA a target of finishing in the top 7, hence the "we won't finish 8th" comment.  And I agree, the final positions are not decided in November (just!). But the fact that neither you, nor anyone else still reading the forum tonight, believes that we will finish in the top 7 speaks volumes about JA's summer recruitment. 5 league defeats in a month in itself isn't the problem. The fact that the squad hasn't been improved since last season, and our more experienced players are a year older, is. And this is JA's responsibility. I like him, he seems like a thoroughly decent man, he did a great job last season and saved us the season before, and I desperately hope that he turns it around. But I don't believe that we will finish top 7 and, that must be a problem for Carol.

14 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

That first bit is total and utter twonkles,they have ploughed money into supporting the players and the club with no income other than the season ticket money and yes they keep up their payments to gorm,they also have plans further down the chain that money will be used for......really lucky to have them and when decisions are to be made they will make them and i will support them whatever they choose to do.

so basically youre a happy clapper then 👍

8 minutes ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Thats the problem. Askey has failed to bring in players that will replace the best 11 we had last season.

No one will ever convince me that Smith will move onto championship or div 1. He is average and always has a mistake in him. For the last 3 seasons he has not had too much opposition. He is young, local and puts effort in so we see him as the best we have seen for years. Reality he is too small, too slow and not a good enough footballer to be a center back. Hes missed a header over the top of him again today. Look back he makes far too many mistakers and yet he is still first choice for me in our squad.

Pope needs replacing or should i say we need a goal scoring target man. Cullen no. Robinson poor. Dont think either can play as a lone striker. Would still start with Pope if had that choice. Where you have to have some sympathy for all our lone strikers is that they play a game and a half, get taken off the next one has a good 20 min spell and is chosen for the next game.  The same follows and so on. I always thought you need a run of games in a team and not 240 mins and out.

Have not mentioned Rodney because that would be an insult to the others.Three year contract, possible future sell on for profit. You are having a laugh. He is an embarresment for a footballer. Absolutely useless. Pope should retire if the manager chooses Rodney before him. Within 90 seconds he had passed a ball out for a throw in instead of to his teammate and ran the ball out of play.

The biggest issue we have is the midfield three. Joyce, ok just, Conlan sorry he is poor far too often and disappears during a game and spends too much time leaving his foot in tackles. Good footballer but not good enough. Manny, if we get a season from him is ok, but at the moment he is so slow and pedestrian. Again all 3 would be chosen in my first eleven because we have no better.

Worrall, again brill squad player but we rely on him 46 games a season. No goals. Same with Amoo, both chosen each week because we have no better.

Askey has failed big style in recruitment. Today showed this yet again that we are not that good a team and certainly not top ten side

We failed to improve the first 11 that’s for sure.  We needed Rodney or Robinson to hit some kind of goal scoring form.  That doesn’t look like it’ll happen any time soon.

I thought Amoo looked really lively today, only to pull up again.  Typical.

Archived