onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Leyton Orient

Fosse69

14 hours ago, wotsyobeef said:

I think it is difficult for the winger who plays in front of Clarke. He tends to run into the space that they play in.

I think Clarke is better at getting forwards than Gibbo but Gibbo is better at knowing when to go and when to give the ball and also where to run to create space for the winger.

I agree that Worrall is better on the right although less of a goal threat. I also think he can do the job in the middle that people keep calling for but is much less effective than out wide.

Rodney has to be in the team for me. He is inexperienced and often makes the wrong decision but early on in the season he petrified the opposition. Although he didn't have the greatest of games against them Salford's back line barely moved beyond the edge of their box they were that worried about him running in behind.

Good analysis of both right backs there I think. Personally I think Clarke is better with the ball at his feet when he’s in full stride, which is probably because he’s come through a premier league academy where they are playing a different way at that level of football. He just needs to know when to make those runs because he can go on a long diagonal run for no reason and ends up losing it or being way out of positon. But I think you hit the nail on the head with effectiveness and having the brain to know when to go and when not to go, when to make an overlapping run outside or make a run inside or just to hang back and support or even not make a run at all so your winger has space to go at the opposition full back. In that regard I think Gibbo has been more effective when you look at the amount of assists he’s had. Both are good defenders on their day but  I think Gibbo is maybe slightly better in terms of that and his desire and willingness to run through a brick wall for the team being his bigger strengths and also positionally too when you think about chances given to the opposition. We see lots of fullbacks in this league that just play safe and don’t offer much to the side in an attacking sense, Clarke and Gibbo aren’t usually like that. I’d say that sometimes Gibbo plays on the front foot too much in his eagerness to get us going forward and can give the ball away. But all these things will be learnt by both of them with experience. But there aren’t many fullbacks in our league like Clarke and Gibbo and we’ve got the best 2 in the division IMO and they can add so much to the way we play, Worrall is a key part to that too. He had a good relationship with Gibbo on that side and we need to see that happen with however Worrall is paired up with. I don’t think that this season we’ve had our fullbacks contributing often enough in that way and I think that’s been one of the reasons why our attacking play hasn’t been as it was last season. I’m not sure Clarkes work rate has been at the levels it shiuld be this last few weeks either. Also putting Rodney on the wing is a learning curve for him, Amoo and Worrall already know what they need to do to bring their fullbacks into the game. 

Advert

7 hours ago, rider1308 said:

G8 reading folks keep it coming, all those would be managers amongst you giving their team, player, formation sections. Would love to see how really good you are sat in the dug out on a match day running the gaf !!!!! Ps  I’d deffo pay the entrance fee for that one !!!!! 😂

Spot on!I'd join you too.🤔🤔🤔🤔

G8 reading folks keep it coming, all those would be managers amongst you giving their team, player, formation sections. Would love to see how really good you are sat in the dug out on a match day running the gaf !!!!! Ps  I’d deffo pay the entrance fee for that one !!!!!
I wouldn't expect to be any good at all, John is manager and I fully back him. Then again, I doubt he would be any good at my job. However it's part and parcel of being a football fan to suggest teams and formations etc.
Are you saying you've NEVER done similar ????

10 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Non of the strikers have worked hard enough, or shown enough desire, in my opinion.  I can't help thinking that Robinson's body language is that of someone who looks really sorry for themselves. At least Rodney looks enthusiastic, albeit his performances are inconsistent. Having scored and made a difference when he came on in the week I'd find a place for him in the starting 11.

I've just watched the Tranmere Brackley game, and Brackley played with a lot of spirit and energy, which is something we've lacked in many games.  The players have got to look at their own performances, which were shocking in the last game, and concentrate on winning their individual battles on the park.  Get that sorted for a start and get back to being hard to beat.

Out of all the strikers i would give Rodney a run of games down the middle instead of changing every game,he needs time but has been slated by a few on here yet some rave about cullen(yes i like him when on form) but how many chances has he wasted this season? but its Robinson who is always lambasted 

9 hours ago, rider1308 said:

G8 reading folks keep it coming, all those would be managers amongst you giving their team, player, formation sections. Would love to see how really good you are sat in the dug out on a match day running the gaf !!!!! Ps  I’d deffo pay the entrance fee for that one !!!!! 😂

It’s a football forum you clown that’s what people do. 

21 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

Out of all the strikers i would give Rodney a run of games down the middle instead of changing every game,he needs time but has been slated by a few on here yet some rave about cullen(yes i like him when on form) but how many chances has he wasted this season? but its Robinson who is always lambasted 

3 in 35 games for us. That’s why. He dosent move, Dosent put any effort in and is always offside. At least with Cullen he scored goals for us last season. Style we are playing Dosent help but he has been way off it as well

1 minute ago, PortVale4Life said:

3 in 35 games for us. That’s why. He dosent move, Dosent put any effort in and is always offside. At least with Cullen he scored goals for us last season. Style we are playing Dosent help but he has been way off it as well

I agree Robinson has been poor for us but Askey needs to pick one and whoever it is stick with them for a few games,it does nothing for players confidence to keep changing strikers every other game

4 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

I agree Robinson has been poor for us but Askey needs to pick one and whoever it is stick with them for a few games,it does nothing for players confidence to keep changing strikers every other game

One of the worse things about askey that. I noticed towards the start of the season that it’s literally one in one out. Like he dosent know who his best forward is. I’m no fan of Robinson either. 

At home I’d start with pope and Cullen today. Cullen is a good player (at home) but needs us to play a certain way which we aren’t doing. If we do go long at least we have pope there. 

I remember Askey saying he wants wet pitches so we can zip it around so lets see what happens today.I am desperate for a win today to try and give us some momentum,lose today then wow

Wasn't their striker Johnson linked with us when he was at Gateshead and Aspin was in charge here,seems to have hit form with Orient,Wright is also a tricky player for them,this wont be easy. They also have a 6'5 centre half so i hope we dont long ball it to a small striker again

1 minute ago, werstayinup said:

I remember Askey saying he wants wet pitches so we can zip it around so lets see what happens today.I am desperate for a win today to try and give us some momentum,lose today then wow

Wasn't their striker Johnson linked with us when he was at Gateshead and Aspin was in charge here,seems to have hit form with Orient,Wright is also a tricky player for them,this wont be easy. They also have a 6'5 centre half so i hope we dont long ball it to a small striker again

They've two massive centre halves, and the younger one (Happe) has awful body positioning so can be spun quite easily.

Therefore, Vale will play hoofball to Mark Cullen.

Archived