onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Leyton Orient

Fosse69

These have a good goalkeeper and Johnson up top is in very good, if unsustainable, form.

Brophy is a menace on the left and Cisse controls things in the middle. They've got a fair few young players who look promising.

They'll try and do us on the counter with balls over the top to Johnson. Their centre half Happe is great in the air but lumbering on the ground, so we simply need to play the ball to feet tomorrow.

A fairly tough test. If we play like we have for the last 4, we'll lose, but hopefully the return of Joyce should free Oyeleke up to create more (one underlying positive recently is Manny playing a lot of football without injury).

Advert

Is it just me or is Worrall not suited to the left, despite what they say? He was moved over there to help cover Monty, but just seems to have stayed there.

To me, Worrall doesn't cut in and shoot enough to ply on the left. Therefore, he goes to the byline and puts a cross in with his weaker foot. Think how much better he would be doing that on his actual preferred foot. Worrall also struck up a brilliant relationship with Gibbo and I'm sure he could do the same with Clarke.
Further, Amoo loves to cut inside and have a pop, but he can't on the right because he is so one footed. We really need to swap these two around. 
If Amoo is out then I would put Dave (Rodney, not Wozza) on the left with Pope up top (again, if fit), but if not then Rodders could play through the middle, as he can hold the ball up, has a bit of strength and is mobile.
Left back is a worry though. I personally love Monty there, and this he is so much better running from deeper positions. If we want someone more solid to sit behind Amoo and let him do his thing, is has to be Crookes or Fitzpatrick. But when struggling to break down packed defences (Morecambe, Kinds Lynn, Scunthorpe etc.) this might not matter too much, if Joyce is there to protect the two centre halves on the counter.
I think the rest of the team is fine but we are severely lacking in any kid of confidence. We just need a spark from somewhere to rekindle the fire. For me, that is Amoo being able to cut inside to create.

I think it is difficult for the winger who plays in front of Clarke. He tends to run into the space that they play in.

I think Clarke is better at getting forwards than Gibbo but Gibbo is better at knowing when to go and when to give the ball and also where to run to create space for the winger.

I agree that Worrall is better on the right although less of a goal threat. I also think he can do the job in the middle that people keep calling for but is much less effective than out wide.

Rodney has to be in the team for me. He is inexperienced and often makes the wrong decision but early on in the season he petrified the opposition. Although he didn't have the greatest of games against them Salford's back line barely moved beyond the edge of their box they were that worried about him running in behind.

A slightly left-field suggestion, but considering his pace, height, and reasonable ability in the air, could Amoo be given a run up top?

He played in a similar role against us for Cambridge in Askey's first game, and battered us.

The lone striker needs to have pace, height, and an ability to drive at his marker, which Amoo possesses, and none of the regular four currently do (Rodney could do with the right development). He isn't a bad finisher either; if you look at all of his goals for us, they're well-taken, rifled efforts.

He's never going to be prolific, but with our dearth of chance creation no forward is; we may as well employ someone who can run the channels and be a presence up top than someone who watches balls fly over his head/lumped into the box.

A forward line of Worrall, Amoo, Rodney, with Manny behind, and Rodney and Amoo to swap if things don't work, may be the sort of creative solution our sorry attack needs. It may also be a sign of desperation in the face of growing, insurmountable issues.

4 hours ago, PV1993 said:

Is it just me or is Worrall not suited to the left

I disagree, I think Wozza has played much better on the left. His energy levels have gone up but what I like with him on the left is he cuts inside and goes on the outside to get crosses. The fullbacks have had a nightmare dealing with him not sure to show him inside or outside.

For me he has looked one of the few bright spots in our team during this terrible run of form. 

2 hours ago, philmpv said:
3 hours ago, The man in the pub said:
He will if he plays on his own upfront again.

Anything to say about this PV4L? Or is it just me who's the subject of your voyeuristic tendencies?

Have a day off. 

I could just go through your last 100 posts. The majority will be slagging off one of our best players in pope. Guarantee there will be comments tomorrow whether he plays or not

I'm going to be a bit different for my team tomorrow but we have to get Theo and Cullen playing as a pair to occupy defences. Too many times this season the centre halves have had a cigar on. Although it might look like 442 I would play tomorrow 433 but with bravery and leave Rodney and Robinson high up the pitch to run  of Cullen. I don't want to see them tracking back which is why I will go for more defensive fullbacks. MA style of play, let the opposition worry about us 

Brown

Mills

Brisley

Smith

Fitzpatrick

Joyce

Manny

Wozza

Rodney

Cullen

Robinson

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

A slightly left-field suggestion, but considering his pace, height, and reasonable ability in the air, could Amoo be given a run up top?

That is exactly what I would do we him. I think him running in the wings from a central position would cause teams more problems.  I've always thought we ask him to do to much back tracking which I think takes away some of his threat.

18 minutes ago, MBE said:

I'm going to be a bit different for my team tomorrow but we have to get Theo and Cullen playing as a pair to occupy defences. Too many times this season the centre halves have had a cigar on. Although it might look like 442 I would play tomorrow 433 but with bravery and leave Rodney and Robinson high up the pitch to run  of Cullen. I don't want to see them tracking back which is why I will go for more defensive fullbacks. MA style of play, let the opposition worry about us 

Brown

Mills

Brisley

Smith

Fitzpatrick

Joyce

Manny

Wozza

Rodney

Cullen

Robinson

Wouldn’t mind that 11 except Robinson. Should be no where near the 11 or the bench. 

12 hours ago, SalfordValiant said:

I'd go 3-5-2

Brown

Smith
Legge
Crookes

Clarke
Burgess
Joyce
Worrall
Monty

Rodney
Cullen

Have Joyce sitting in front of the back 3 and Worrall given a free role.

I personally like the look of this but rather than Worrall given a free role, I would hand it to Monty - I think his mazy runs and along with Rodney and Cullen up front we may just have a front line capable of winning this particular game.

2 hours ago, PortVale4Life said:

Wouldn’t mind that 11 except Robinson

Yes I can see why. He has been poor so far like many others. I just think strikers need a run of games rather than in & out which is why I would stick with him for a few to see if he can score.

His record at previous clubs suggests he's a goalscorer.

17 minutes ago, MBE said:

Yes I can see why. He has been poor so far like many others. I just think strikers need a run of games rather than in & out which is why I would stick with him for a few to see if he can score.

Non of the strikers have worked hard enough, or shown enough desire, in my opinion.  I can't help thinking that Robinson's body language is that of someone who looks really sorry for themselves. At least Rodney looks enthusiastic, albeit his performances are inconsistent. Having scored and made a difference when he came on in the week I'd find a place for him in the starting 11.

I've just watched the Tranmere Brackley game, and Brackley played with a lot of spirit and energy, which is something we've lacked in many games.  The players have got to look at their own performances, which were shocking in the last game, and concentrate on winning their individual battles on the park.  Get that sorted for a start and get back to being hard to beat.

1 hour ago, MBE said:

Joelinton scored for Newcastle tonight so there is hope for everyone.

1 hour ago, MBE said:

Hmmm his records not great. Especially at vale. Agree with two forwards. Pope is back available. I’d start him and Cullen. Robinson would be last choice 

G8 reading folks keep it coming, all those would be managers amongst you giving their team, player, formation sections. Would love to see how really good you are sat in the dug out on a match day running the gaf !!!!! Ps  I’d deffo pay the entrance fee for that one !!!!! 😂

Archived