onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Leyton Orient

Fosse69

10 hours ago, Andy Proctor said:

No I did no come on here to be negative I came on here as I do everyday to read the latest vale posts. As I mentioned before I dont post on here much anymore normally come on just to read posts. 

All ive done is say what most people would have said I'd expect us to lose on Saturday doesnt mean that we will. You say there's been lots of negative posts on here yet you choose to pick on my 1 post that I've put and you clearly arnt bothered 1 bit about how your reply has made me feel. Due to your post ive had to ring samaritans to stop myself from doing something like self harming. If anything I can say you have only come on here to cause trouble and upset people and that's what you have clearly done with me you don't even have the decency to apologise.

Andy mate

He wasn't picking on you personally, probable that your post was the most recent in his mind that he had just read. We all get quoted and disagreed with on here, part and parcel of the site.

A couple of Christmases ago i made a post on here asking if anybody knew you because i was extremely concerned for your welfare after some posts you made on the other site that me and you frequent ( Football Forums ) . You sadly have some mental health issues , are you receiving help for these ? I hope you are mate and you can overcome and manage your troubles.

But somebody on here making a post should not be carrying the burden of you having to call the Samaritans. He does not need to apologise to you, i'm sure he is concerned about the manner of your post as i obviously am by posting this.

Please seek professional help and get well soon fellow Valeite.

Advert

9 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I have literally no idea what team we’ll play vs Orient, but I recall that last year we seemed to come good after playing them, an ironically conceding late in a 3-3 draw, so who knows.

I just don’t think Askey’s favoured 4-3-3 fits what we have, in any area of the pitch but especially midfield.

The front three variably consists of two wide men - Worrall and Amoo - who hug the touch line and so are miles away from the striker offering little / no support. The midfield is too static and there are no players breaking to offer support to the striker, again leaving him isolated and battling for scraps and chasing lost causes.

We also seem very susceptible again midfield runners. Even before Joyce’s sending off and even at 2-0 up, I never felt we were in control of midfield at all, in fact we were getting completely overrun. This even seems to happen when we have 3 vs 2. For some reason, we don’t have enough guile in there and we are carrying somebody somewhere. 

I keep harping on about it but I feel it’s time to try 3.5.2 but I suspect pigs might fly before Askey goes down that route.

I went to that game Biddulph, that was the game where Manny was injured really early and Burgess came on to form the partnership with Taylor which then blossomed.

One of the best games of the season again frustrated by a last gasp goal after a mix up between Brown and Legge.

I'll take a repeat of the scrappy dour 1-0 home win against these to stop the rot before we go to an in form Bolton who are about to leapfrog us in the table after being a laughing stock for most of the season.

On 25/11/2020 at 14:02, TheSage said:

In my humble opinion, our best XI is Brown, Clark, Legge, Smith, Monty, Oyeleke, Joyce, Conlon, Amoo, Pope, Worrall - and if we can field this starting XI we'll be ok but no more than that. I'd give these lads a run together and if we need to replace/change some then so be it. 

The problem is of course that this is an ageing team and no-one we signed in the summer deserves a regular starting place for me, though Rodney shows flashes of ability. Sadly, the rest are mediocre and we still very much rely on the injury prone Oyeleke who remains key in midfield as well as the equally injury prone Monty who gives us a bit of the x factor.

I hope we can turn it around. The first goal will be crucial, otherwise heads could drop and "here we go again."

But how many of that team will be fit to play?

Anyone disagree with my selection?

I must be honest I can't see anything but that side. Managers will go back to players who have been there, seen it,  done it when trying to break a bad run. Maybe Rodney over Amoo if he wants more goals in the team.

Basically the side that started against Tranmere. Really the current bad run is down to Joyce's moment of madness. Until that moment we were on to run out as comfortable winners. Problems then built on problems. Would Legge have been left quite so exposed for his two yellows in Joyce had played against Newport? Would Stevenage forwards have found it so easy to pull the two centrehalves out of position if Joyce had been tracking into the space they were using. There first goal Oyeleke was in the frame but about 5 metres  further forward of the centrehalves than Joyce is defending walking back into position. Second goal there was a big space for their foward to drop into between the defence and midfield,  collect the ball, spin and then knock it into space.  I think for the second goal it was Burgess just standing and not dropping into the space infront of the centrehalves. 

One thing I noticed a few times against Stevenage was Oyeleke automatically drops into a centrehalf position when teams attack down the wing. Thats ok if the centrehalf stays out wide to cover the fullback. The problem was our centrehalves are used to Joyce who drops in to cover the fullback and the centrehalf gets back to win a header. We ended up with too many players in the 6 yard box and a big gap behind the fullback for their wide player to play the ball into. They got a lot of dangerous balls in, particularly down our right, because of that.

On 25/11/2020 at 11:02, TheSage said:

In my humble opinion, our best XI is Brown, Clark, Legge, Smith, Monty, Oyeleke, Joyce, Conlon, Amoo, Pope, Worrall - and if we can field this starting XI we'll be ok but no more than that. I'd give these lads a run together and if we need to replace/change some then so be it. 

The problem is of course that this is an ageing team and no-one we signed in the summer deserves a regular starting place for me, though Rodney shows flashes of ability. Sadly, the rest are mediocre and we still very much rely on the injury prone Oyeleke who remains key in midfield as well as the equally injury prone Monty who gives us a bit of the x factor.

I hope we can turn it around. The first goal will be crucial, otherwise heads could drop and "here we go again."

But how many of that team will be fit to play?

Anyone disagree with my selection?

As of right now that’s probably our best 11 and I’d start that whenever I could if I was manager. When everyone in the squad is fit and available I’d disagree though. 

Also this may sound a bit controversial and I know that Manny can be a good player for us, but I think he needs to up his game and get back to where he was, because last season we saw that Burgess and Conlon can be effective for us in a game and I think he has serious competition to nail down his place if the others start to click and perform like we know they can. 

Is it just me or is Worrall not suited to the left, despite what they say? He was moved over there to help cover Monty, but just seems to have stayed there.

To me, Worrall doesn't cut in and shoot enough to ply on the left. Therefore, he goes to the byline and puts a cross in with his weaker foot. Think how much better he would be doing that on his actual preferred foot. Worrall also struck up a brilliant relationship with Gibbo and I'm sure he could do the same with Clarke.

Further, Amoo loves to cut inside and have a pop, but he can't on the right because he is so one footed. We really need to swap these two around. 

If Amoo is out then I would put Dave (Rodney, not Wozza) on the left with Pope up top (again, if fit), but if not then Rodders could play through the middle, as he can hold the ball up, has a bit of strength and is mobile.

Left back is a worry though. I personally love Monty there, and this he is so much better running from deeper positions. If we want someone more solid to sit behind Amoo and let him do his thing, is has to be Crookes or Fitzpatrick. But when struggling to break down packed defences (Morecambe, Kinds Lynn, Scunthorpe etc.) this might not matter too much, if Joyce is there to protect the two centre halves on the counter.

I think the rest of the team is fine but we are severely lacking in any kid of confidence. We just need a spark from somewhere to rekindle the fire. For me, that is Amoo being able to cut inside to create.

Could you start a thread posting your Football Manager teams and results? Would entertain many of us greatly!
I can. Finished my first season with vale on FM21. Finished 7th. Played walsall at home first leg drew zip zip. In the away leg, a late goal for walsall in 117 minute of extra time ended our season. Theo robinson ended up with 25 and mckirdy had the most assists. Nathan Smith voted by the fans as player of the season.

Had a bit of a rough patch with mckirdy early on as he didnt like it when I threw a water bottle during a half time team talk. We drew 0 0 at Southend so I think it was justified. We seem to have sorted that out now though.

On 25/11/2020 at 11:02, TheSage said:

It's asking a lot to get Monty, Oyeleke and Amoo all fit at the same time, never mind long enough to have a run together.

(Apologies if statistics show they've played half the last 50 games in the same team.)

27 minutes ago, The man in the pub said:

He will if he plays on his own upfront again.

Just read he is back in training today and as long as he as being keeping himself ready for matchday in my opinion he goes in the team with Cullen but that means the system will have to change .

Does J Askey want to change going by what Shrews fans say not a chance so it will be one up top and hope he plays the game of his life .

Who would you go for me I'd go for Cullen he was linking the play well v Newport and then dropped v Stevenage ,baffling that, I also though in general play v Scunthorpe he was ok also the only problem is most of his good work is facing his own goal not theres so that's why there should be a 2 .

Rodney shows flashes of brilliance but seems to me especially when the ball is in the air very easily beaten but he did ping a 90 yard ball to Monty score a free header and flash the ball in v Stevenage so he also could be in contention as I believe he was only player come out the Stevenage game with a little credit .

We all know what the Pope does has done etc to me if he had a few extra yards of pace he would have being a championship player, a terrific servant of Vale and in home games  in a two in my opinion( I have a lot of them )he would provide the space for the other forward to flourish  

Robinson another one who in the air well it's kinda pointless crossing the ball from deep to his head as he never wins it ,but  he as attributes alongside the Pope like all the other 3 would flourish .

Askey needs change his formation and fast especially in games where the lone striker looks like he is having a stinker because of his tactics .

Fair enough if we get two goals in front like at times we did last season but last season is history and as Shakespeare's sister sang History no good for me 

UTV 

Archived