onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Why isn't McKirdy getting more time on the pitch?

mr.hobblesworth

8 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

That bit is correct in my opinion, the rest is barking up the wrong tree. Again in my opinion.  

He was top scorer at Carlisle and released with a bit of a put down from his old boss.

Do the maths.

And with that put down from his old boss ringing in his ears, if he wants to carve out a career without all the travelling to Carlisle then Vale Park would be the ideal place to start.

Apparently Carol likes to meet all new signings to get a feel of their personality, what went wrong ?

Advert

I can see why he hasn’t started initially due to his lack of preseason, but I also think that  a player like him isn’t one to tie down to defensive responsibilities and Askey seems quite rigid in what he wants his wide men to do. Personally I see a player like Mckirdy as number ten, being allowed the freedom to do what he wants across the front line. For what it’s worth I think he’ll start tonight’s game though. 

10 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

Ppl couldn’t believe it when HM started training with us. Ppl were saying that they didn’t want the club to sign him. Now Ppl are saying that he’s probably the answer to our dire playing style.

Funny old game isn’t it.

Suppose only if the same person was saying all that 

Amoo and Worrall are the go to players, and for good reasons. They are top players at this level.

McKirdy does have that creative edge to him, but appears to be more individual, rather than team oriented.

I would see him improving the team side of his game under Askey and possibly becoming a more rounded player.

Whether this would be better is to be seen.

If the McKirdy that we think we know was to play, I suspect he would get slaughtered on here for his lack of team contribution.

We love whole hearted players who give everything for the cause, but it is those very characteristics that are currently being questioned.

In its way a fascinating dilemma.

3 hours ago, SFBT said:

Amoo and Worrall are the go to players, and for good reasons. They are top players at this level.

McKirdy does have that creative edge to him, but appears to be more individual, rather than team oriented.

I would see him improving the team side of his game under Askey and possibly becoming a more rounded player.

Whether this would be better is to be seen.

If the McKirdy that we think we know was to play, I suspect he would get slaughtered on here for his lack of team contribution.

We love whole hearted players who give everything for the cause, but it is those very characteristics that are currently being questioned.

In its way a fascinating dilemma.

We're clearly a well-drilled team unit, but lack the individual 'spark' to win matches, ala JMW in 12/13.

McKirdy COULD provide this. He may not. He's a League 2 player with one good season under his belt, kicked out by a team who finished significantly lower in the table than us last season.

However, with Oyeleke shackled in a 6 role, McKirdy is seemingly our only player capable of breaking the deep lines Stevenage will set out tonight. It might go wrong, but our lack of open play creativity is so concerning currently, we simply have to try it. 

With Joyce out suspended and Conlon injured wouldn't it make sense to play Worrall in the midfield three and then McKirdy can get a game in the front three.

Suppose a midfield of Worrall and Burgess either side of Oyeleke and a front three of McKirdy/Cullen/Amoo.

Expect Brisley to partner Smith unless Crookes gets a game but Clark/Burgess/Amoo on the right and Montano/Worrall/McKirdy on the left has a lot of pace,energy and quality while after a run of a couple of games Cullen must be getting match fit and sharp.

Certainly on paper a McKirdy/Cullen/Amoo front three and a Conlon/Oyeleke/Worrall midfield with attacking full backs either Clark and Montano or maybe Clark moving to left back when Gibbons returns looks an attacking line up.

One thing for certain with Worrall/Amoo/McKirdy/Montano we are blessed with wide options and quality.

1 hour ago, Burslem Academicals said:

With Joyce out suspended and Conlon injured wouldn't it make sense to play Worrall in the midfield three and then McKirdy can get a game in the front three.

Suppose a midfield of Worrall and Burgess either side of Oyeleke and a front three of McKirdy/Cullen/Amoo.

Expect Brisley to partner Smith unless Crookes gets a game but Clark/Burgess/Amoo on the right and Montano/Worrall/McKirdy on the left has a lot of pace,energy and quality while after a run of a couple of games Cullen must be getting match fit and sharp.

Certainly on paper a McKirdy/Cullen/Amoo front three and a Conlon/Oyeleke/Worrall midfield with attacking full backs either Clark and Montano or maybe Clark moving to left back when Gibbons returns looks an attacking line up.

One thing for certain with Worrall/Amoo/McKirdy/Montano we are blessed with wide options and quality.

Quite like this. Cullen is probably our best striker but needs people around him and runners off him. As you say, Worrall, McKirdy, Monty, Clark, Conlon, and Amoo should provide this.

We've got to get out of our 'wings or bust' situation. We can't create if we don't go down the wings. This is great with prime Tom Pope, but not Mark Cullen, and not even with 35 year old Tom Pope.

The key to all of this is being a bit more ballsy and pushing a midfielder closer to the forward, like Dodds used to play. Oyeleke, McKirdy, and Worrall can all fulfill this role.

If we go bog-standard 433 with a 6 and two 8s I'll be very concerned.

Archived