onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Why isn't McKirdy getting more time on the pitch?

mr.hobblesworth

Advert

3 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Why?

Is there something going on behind the scenes? Can't understand why we signed him if he's just going to sit on the bench. He did well when given a chance in the pizza cup but then nothing. It's not like we're overflowing with creativity at the moment.

🤔🤔🤔🤔👌

16 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Why?

Is there something going on behind the scenes? Can't understand why we signed him if he's just going to sit on the bench. He did well when given a chance in the pizza cup but then nothing. It's not like we're overflowing with creativity at the moment.

Some on here think performances in the pizza cup don’t count, Mr H. 

It's pretty obvious really. Worrall is an Askey favourite, and will always play as long as he's fit, and the other wide spot will always go to someone with a bit of pace, so Amoo or Rodney. Considering our midfield plodders create so little I think it's vital we get McKirdy into the side. For me I'd consider Worrall as one of the three midfield players and play McKirdy and Amoo supporting the striker from out wide.

Or you could drop one of the three midfielders we play with and use McKirdy as an attacking midfielder, knowing Joyce and Oyeleke (or whoever) are behind him. Forget everything else about Askey, at times he's far too cautious with his tactics and team selections.

Although signed by JA, he's not really a JA kind of player, so I reckon he doesn't much fancy him

JA can obviously see that we're not overly creative but week after week he talks of the effort and application of the players, however the result has gone.  He knows that McKirdy will frustrate him as he won't get that from him - he is one of those players that might offer something in a game that gets you points, but he'll not grind and work in a team ethos in the way that some of his regular picks will (Worrall, Conlon etc who despite not being 100% consistent are naturally hard working)

In his DNA he wants us to continue to work hard and drop on lucky - you could argue that in the last few games we could have won it by half time with some decent starts, and he's hoping that is what happens.  It is NOT in his DNA to weaken the work rate of the team to make us more fluid and exciting.  It's simply not who he is.  Unless he comes in and makes himself undroppable then he won't be a regular.  I think he was signed as a luxury to come on when winning to make us look nmire entertaining than we really are!

I was wondering with the rumours he can be a bit of a trouble maker that if he can't get a start anytime soon he may become a problem.  There's no point throwing him on the last 10 mins and then saying he hasn't done anything. I've been impressed with both him and Hurst in the <ovf censored> cup

Why?

He has far too much creativity in him when fit. Something Askey doesnt recognise in his plan. Even half a game would allow McKirdy to do his business but hey I'm not manager, just a fan watching slow, predictable tippey tappey Vale!

It's the right question to ask. The only four midfield players who have any goals in them are Amoo (career best in one season, 11), Montano (ditto 7), Worrall (ditto 6), and McKirdy (ditto 11). As far as I can see, the rest have never scored more than 3 or 4 in any season so if you fill your midfield with players who haven't got a goal in them, you don't score many - as we have seen. 

It's no good having players who work hard and then don't score or create chances. The lowest goal tally by any side that's finished in the play offs in the last five full seasons is Southend who went up in 2014-15 having scored just 54 goals on 1.17 per game, while the average is 62 i.e. 1.35 goals per game. At the moment, we're on 1.15 (if my maths is correct), which would imply a total of 53 - not enough for even the playoffs. So we have a long way to go. 

Given all this, if McKirdy's not playing then it's right to ask why. He surely can't do any worse than the rest of our midfielders have done so far - and he could make a big difference. 

Mckirdy is an an individual as opposed to a team player. Askey clearly prefers team players. So as has been stated why did he sign him? Was it because he was available, local and relatively cheap? Not sure, but his signing was always a mystery to me. The fact that he cannot get into a team so bereft of ideas going forward  seems to suggest that his signing was a waste of money.

It's fairly clear that Amoo and Wozza are the prefered wide men, on their day both are good players at this level.  I thought Wozz looked back to his best Saturday but he'll never be prolific in front of goal,  he's a provider, one of the best at this level.

With one or two players now out banned, isolating, injured, or whatever, it'd be the perfect opportunity to let H. McK show what he can do in the next couple of games.  Plus with our attacking players blowning  cold mostly, maybe things have naturally fallen into place and it's the spark we need.  Fingers crossed.

22 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Mckirdy is an an individual as opposed to a team player. Askey clearly prefers team players. So as has been stated why did he sign him? Was it because he was available, local and relatively cheap? Not sure, but his signing was always a mystery to me. The fact that he cannot get into a team so bereft of ideas going forward  seems to suggest that his signing was a waste of money.

Added to the fact that he was leading scorer at Carlisle last season, Askey must have his reasons so it will be interesting to see if he can get a game tomorrow night.

Archived