The bingo card is fully ticked:

• "Social media and Rudge"
  • Fergie nearly got sacked
  • Ainsworth
  • Be careful what you wish for
  • Players making mistakes; nothing to do with the manager
  • Chopping and Changing
  • Negativity = kneejerk
  • Previous managers under a dire chairman were bad, therefore Askey's achievements under a much better chairwoman are magnified.

Look, I'm not out there protesting (socially distant) for Askey to go, but you're going to need to rely on more than the cliches that were trotted out when Aspin was on the ropes to win over the more virulent elements of the fanbase on here.

You can make a perfectly satisfactory argument that, under normal circumstances, Askey would have had us in the playoffs last season, or that he has improved our standing substantially since arrival, for example.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wtf is wrong with people? Carol and Kevin paid many times over the odds to save this club.  They have financed it through Covid, done tremendous community work in the name of the club and have be

Don't talk rubbish, Tyler.  It's just that I'm considerably older than most of you lot and so I've seen all this before.  That's why I don't think we're going to win the league every time we get three

Tonight was a culmination of several weeks. We're just, fundamentally, not a playoff side. Yes, we had suspensions and absences. Stevenage had won 4 in 49 before tonight, and 1 so far this s

Posted Images

I'll summarise my views as concisely as possible; our squad was the 2nd oldest in the league last season, and is the oldest this season. Recruitment has been poor, so poor that we have allowed an already ageing squad to age further without signing replacements (evidenced by the turmoil since Joyce's suspension).

As a consequence, as Carol explicitly said in the Summer, we need to make the playoffs this season. The question we have to ask is; can Askey deliver this?

Edited by Joe B

Didnt watch last night but saw the stats looked like a deserved defeat to me .

Wonder what carol thinks in fact she has gone very quiet .

Watched most of the games this season on ifollow and looks like we have being found out .

As Askey got a answer for it we will see as Carol seems like she is backing him mind you if you give someone a 3 year contract how you going pay him off with hardly any money coming in .

Covid has killed this season this far but the Vale players have killed folks positivity ( not all of them but collectively they have failed as a group ,considering they were the same players being lauded last season it tells me they have no motivation play the motivation comes from the support and with no one there they are just going through the motions  ,what a November 5 defeats in a row what a terrible month for all us long suffering Valiants .

Good job theres more to life .

Let's hope we find some heart and character soon or else we be in the national league before we know it .

Stoke are on a Crest of a wave why is it when they do well we do crap ,is it acceptable ,is it heck UTV 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Joe B said:

The bingo card is fully ticked:

• "Social media and Rudge"
  • Fergie nearly got sacked
  • Ainsworth
  • Be careful what you wish for
  • Players making mistakes; nothing to do with the manager
  • Chopping and Changing
  • Negativity = kneejerk
  • Previous managers under a dire chairman were bad, therefore Askey's achievements under a much better chairwoman are magnified.

Look, I'm not out there protesting (socially distant) for Askey to go, but you're going to need to rely on more than the cliches that were trotted out when Aspin was on the ropes to win over the more virulent elements of the fanbase on here.

You can make a perfectly satisfactory argument that, under normal circumstances, Askey would have had us in the playoffs last season, or that he has improved our standing substantially since arrival, for example.

Cliches? I am looking back at what has happened in our club’s history and also comparing what has happened at other clubs. At least bring an argument or point of discussion instead of dismissing an opinion as a ‘bingo card’. 

The question is why are people so impatient. 

It isn’t for me to win over the fan base. I am merely voicing my opinion.That is Askey’s problem. I am relying on what has happened at other clubs who have gone on to be successful. 

Edited by Chopper Harris
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Emile said:

We weren't too bad away from home last season but I wonder if playing at an empty VP has had anything to do with our results so far this season. 

Might not have played so well every game but loosing a game by one goal in the last minute is a fine margin.

By far the biggest factors, in no particular order, an inabilty to score goals, somewhat down to recruitment, pretty much ALL the players who've featured so far being well below par, although I'll excuse the 2 goalkeepers from this, and some questionable decisions from the management team.

No crowds is well down the list in my opinion.  I'd suggest that if fans were in as normal on Saturday the atmosphere would be toxic, and would be a negative rather than positive influence to the team's performance and confidence.  Sadly, it may in fact be better that we're not allowed back just now.

49 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I'll summarise my views as concisely as possible; our squad was the 2nd oldest in the league last season, and is the oldest this season. Recruitment has been poor, so poor that we have allowed an already ageing squad to age further without signing replacements (evidenced by the turmoil since Joyce's suspension).

As a consequence, as Carol explicitly said in the Summer, we need to make the playoffs this season. The question we have to ask is; can Askey deliver this?

Askey’s signings poor? As is the case at any club or for any manager some signings work out and some don’t. On the whole during Askey’s reign I would say his recruitment has been pretty good........ Brown, Amoo, Burgess, Clark, Taylor, Browne. I would agree that some signings like Lloyd were underwhelming, but to carry on with ‘my cliches’ how many signings have Fergie and Wenger made that didn’t work out. 

Edited by Chopper Harris

2 hours ago, Joe B said:

Didn't matter that they were the oldest or second oldest at the start of the season when we were in the top 3. and how old was the guy who scored against us for Newport?

It’ll be interesting to see the players’ reaction on Saturday. Their effort, attitude, application etc. If the same as Tuesday, it would seem the players themselves might be disillusioned by Askey and therefore trying to force him out?

I’ve said a couple of times to stick with Askey.

However, if the players are not playing for him then there may be no alternative but to look elsewhere even though it can bring its own difficulties. At the moment we are certainly showing relegation battle form.

As ever, I remain optimistic about Saturday.

(Having read my own comments it seems a complete contradiction but my head says one thing, my heart another)

UTV

4 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:

It’ll be interesting to see the players’ reaction on Saturday. Their effort, attitude, application etc. If the same as Tuesday, it would seem the players themselves might be disillusioned by Askey and therefore trying to force him out?

I’ve said a couple of times to stick with Askey.

However, if the players are not playing for him then there may be no alternative but to look elsewhere even though it can bring its own difficulties. At the moment we are certainly showing relegation battle form.

As ever, I remain optimistic about Saturday.

(Having read my own comments it seems a complete contradiction but my head says one thing, my heart another)

UTV

👻👻👻

5 hours ago, philmpv said:

Ironic that you are quick to seek to dismiss others opinions on the basis that 'they don't know' when you yourself are calling for JA gone when you don't know that we won't win the next 5 games straight

No irony at all. 

Surprised you managed to post something without slagging Tom pope off 

No irony at all. 
I'm quite happy to post praise for TP when he plays well. Refer to the match thread for his first match back. As is the case all too often, however, daring to question his usual performances amounts to 'slagging him off', whereas its open season for all of our other strikers when they play poorly, attracting comments a lot more vehement and derogatory than anything I have ever said about TP.

1 minute ago, philmpv said:
11 minutes ago, PortVale4Life said:
No irony at all. 

I'm quite happy to post praise for TP when he plays well. Refer to the match thread for his first match back. As is the case all too often, however, daring to question his usual performances amounts to 'slagging him off', whereas its open season for all of our other strikers when they play poorly, attracting comments a lot more vehement and derogatory than anything I have ever said about TP.

Nah I’ve been watching your posts. Every one that mentions someone like Cullen or Robinson you make a comment about pope. Every post has something against him 

On 26/11/2020 at 17:31, Chopper Harris said:

Askey’s signings poor? As is the case at any club or for any manager some signings work out and some don’t. On the whole during Askey’s reign I would say his recruitment has been pretty good........ Brown, Amoo, Burgess, Clark, Taylor, Browne. I would agree that some signings like Lloyd were underwhelming, but to carry on with ‘my cliches’ how many signings have Fergie and Wenger made that didn’t work out. 

His recruitment has been dire. 

Brown was aspin. Burgess? Brown? Wouldn’t say they were good signings personally  

I’d just say amoo as the other two are just loans and punts in the dark especially Taylor at the time. 

Far more very poor signings. 

Evans

kennedy

llyod

Whitehead

maddison

robinson 

crookes

fitzpatrick / mills (not too bad but neither have actually improved us)

the common theme is that we sign ex macc players who are probably decent in the league below but aren’t as good as our first team players at this level. We’ve signed poor squad players last season and done the same again this season. 

On 26/11/2020 at 18:55, jimbo57 said:

Didn't matter that they were the oldest or second oldest at the start of the season when we were in the top 3. and how old was the guy who scored against us for Newport?

Ellison is one player.

It didn't matter then, as if we went up we'd make enough money to replace these players.

My point was that the spine of the team (Brown, Legge, Joyce, Pope) will need replacing in 1-2 years, and if we're stuck in League 2 that leads to a hefty rebuild.

Surely that wasn't that difficult to grasp?

Edited by Joe B

On 26/11/2020 at 17:31, Chopper Harris said:

Recruitment has been good?

The best 11 is the exact same as it was when he arrived bar Amoo. 

Brown, Gibbons, Legge, Smith, Clark, Joyce, Conlon, Oyleke, Amoo, Pope, Worrall.

Lloyd, Evans, Maddison, Bennett, Browne, Kennedy, Archer all gone within a year of signing after having a negligible impact.

We have an old squad and he signed 9 players this summer, none of which have consistently started and 7 of them over the age of 28. 3 of them are 30 or above.

You could argue Amoo, Burgess, and Taylor (not scouted, just offered by his favourite agent) have been good,  Cullen has been OK, and Brisley has become a steady backup. That's not good out of 21 signings. 

Due to poor recruitment largely predicated on a) Macclesfield players, b) Phil Sproson and c) are they local?, Askey has created a squad with a countdown timer on it, which needs to achieve promotion very soon or will need to spend big signing a GK, CB, DM, and a ST, and hope he nails all four, when over his tenure he has shown that, more often than not, his players don't improve the side.

I have no idea what the relevance of Ferguson and Wenger are but to humour you, Ferguson made signings like Schmeichel, Cantona, Keane, Ferdinand, Vidic, Ronaldo etc so misses such as Kleberson and Bebe can be overlooked. Wenger signed Viera, Henry, Pires, Van Persie, Fabregas etc so misses such as Aliadiere and Julio Baptista can also be overlooked.

Askey's biggest hits in nearly two years are David Amoo and one of Sproson's loans. 

Askey is a good coach but he should cede some control of transfers to a recruitment director. 

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 1