Match Thread: Stevenage v Port Vale

Yet another poor result. Where do I even start? 

The players and the management have let the club down. 5 defeats in a row is unacceptable; before someone mentions the ‘Papa John Trophy’ - I couldn’t give a f*ck about that.

Apart from Rodney, not one player can walk out of there with their heads held high. Utter, utter sh*t.

Robinson is an awful footballer, I had my doubts when we signed him, but I thought I’d at least give him a chance. Unfortunately, he looks like the same donkey we had four years ago. Brisley, Smith, Burgess, Monty were all awful. Then again, they were all awful. A bunch of spineless w*nkers. 

The first half was one of the worst performances I’ve seen in a long time. The second wasn’t much better, apart from the last 10 minutes when we finally realised we were losing the game. No fight, no passion and no endeavour. 

As Micky would say, “They rolled us over and tickled our bellies,” what I’d do for Micky Adams right now! 

I’d like to put my hands up and admit I was wrong. For a number of weeks, I’ve been the first to back Askey; calling numerous people out for what I thought was ‘undeserved stick’. How wrong was I? I’ve lost my patience with Askey, and I’ve finally realised that this man won’t take us to where we belong. We’ve been sussed out big time, and I honestly don’t believe he has a plan B. He’s tactically inept. Don’t get me wrong, I like the man and I want him to succeed at the Vale, but I think he’s taken us as far as he can. I’ll be forever thankful for what he’s done for us, but I think a change is needed. Will it happen before Saturday? I very much doubt it. Saturday is MUST win or else he has to go. 

Finally, do people genuinely believe Carol won’t act? I think she would. I feel very, very sorry for her. She has backed Askey massively, in times where money is particularly tough to generate. 

Come on Vale, sort it f*cking out before it’s too late! 

• Like 5

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wtf is wrong with people? Carol and Kevin paid many times over the odds to save this club.  They have financed it through Covid, done tremendous community work in the name of the club and have be

Don't talk rubbish, Tyler.  It's just that I'm considerably older than most of you lot and so I've seen all this before.  That's why I don't think we're going to win the league every time we get three

Tonight was a culmination of several weeks. We're just, fundamentally, not a playoff side. Yes, we had suspensions and absences. Stevenage had won 4 in 49 before tonight, and 1 so far this s

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Any thoughts on we have too many players. Too many who are not getting a game. When they do get a chance they have 1 or 2 and then out again. You need a happy ream on and off the pitch

I don't think the squad size is too big this year with injuries and covid but I can't help thinking something is not right in the dressing room. To me it looks like something fundamental has changed to upset the good balance we had in September.

Most of the players look scared to get on the ball, make a move or take some responsibility to affect the game.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/john-askeys-verdict-port-vale-4733675

”Hopefully on Saturday they’ll play like they did 2nd half...”

Great, I can’t wait.

I'm not sure what's more worrying.  

Performances or that reaction.

Basically well....yeah...we were crap....didn't really look at it....didn't do what we said....chat at halftime...bit better.....yeah....hopefully we'll be good Saturday. 

Hopefully John?!  

Worrying signs I think.

We've got absolutely no bite and we're playing like Askey's talking.

Just seeing if something will happen. 

• Like 1

Advert:

OK a few observations,  no judgment, no answers

• At our best towards the end of last season, most of us were lording our midfield. In particular the drive, energy and development of Conlon and Burgess orchestrated in no small way by Joyce. Inexplicably, while expecting them to push on this season,  all three and as a unit,  seem to have regressed.
  • Enterprising link up play that massively involved Cullen is now non existent 
  • Our best side and performances have been with last seasons best eleven. 
  • Too often resort to the high ball, even when Pope isn't playing resulting in continually surrendering possession far to cheaply
  • One player can't possibly make such a difference, but with regard to link up play, not to mention being solid at the back, Gibbons was in the form of his career before his injury. 

So far this season, we've hardly seen any of the above that filled so many of us with hope and expectation. It demonstrated that Askey and the team are capable of performing at a superior level than we are at present,  but the question is, can we regain that level, let alone push it further, and how much time do we give to facilitate it? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Platty's Tassels said:

Before tonight's game I was not in the Askey out camp. He cant be on that much for a manager. I think the cost of replacing him may out cost the chance of promotion.

A win this Saturday is a 100% must - if we don't 

Its usualy the manageer to go, whatever the cost. New players cost money too. A new manager may do somthing with the players we have. Askey has failed. He needs more players and do we have faith in him signing even more.

So its a new manager first then fingers crossed he can do something before he starts to rebuild.

Do think its Askey for this season though unless we continue to lose the next 3 or 4 games 

I could begin to understand this call for JA's head if Vale were getting thumped every game and playing poorly but that's not the case.

Yep we've lost the last 5 games but all by a single goal but we were in all those games right to the end. Granted tonight's performance wasn't good but in the others refereeing decisions or extra time goals or an inability to put the ball in the net cost Vale dear, not poor performances.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, philmpv said:
23 minutes ago, Sandyford_Lion said:
We need Tom to play EVERY game

Yes, because that's worked out well so far this season and for the last 3 seasons hasn't it

It was referring to Ellison still playing and scoring but he plays a few minutes when he comes on. We need Tom to do more than that.

Pope is not the Pope of the past but the others offer little else. I would still start with Pope for most games.

2 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

I could begin to understand this call for JA's head if Vale were getting thumped every game and playing poorly but that's not the case.

Yep we've lost the last 5 games but all by a single goal but we were in all those games right to the end. Granted tonight's performance wasn't good but in the others refereeing decisions or extra time goals or an inability to put the ball in the net cost Vale dear, not poor performances.

We’ve been awful. Absalutley awful for the last 5 games. If us being in the game against kings lynn at home. Scunthorpe at home. And Stevenage away is good enough We might as well give up. 

Edited by valiant_593

Advert:

That was so bad. I'm not an Askey out bloke. I'd give him until the end of the season. But that was so poor. The worst of all worst things for Vale fans, we didn't even look like we were trying. Totally second best. The better team won, and 2-1 flatters us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Andyregs said:

We either change managers before the transfer window (a few weeks before to make it worthwhile), or wait until the end of the season (unless we get into trouble). 

Whether or not we write the season off.

I suppose it all depends what the club's hierarchy wants/needs/expects

Edited by Santa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Yep we've lost the last 5 games but all by a single goal but we were in all those games right to the end.

Paul its about the general play. We are just toothless, lacking creativity or plan b. Team react badly to going a goal down lacking character. We have not scored a goal from an open goal in the last 4 league games. I'm not even going to reference the King Lynn debacle. This is a big reason why some including myself are saying he needs to go.

Shots on target - :

Stevenage  (bottom 2 at the time of playing)- 3

Newport - 3

Scunthorpe - 2 (bottom 2 at the time of playing)

Tranmere - 4

Damning statistics about how we are set-up.

Edited by MBE
  • Like 1

I've written it off. It is not so the results, you can get the rub of the green go against you. Daft ref and so. It's the performances. When have we actually played well this season? Tonight took the biscuit. We were played off the pitch and 2-1 flattered us.

By Stevenage. Says it all.

• Like 3

Advert:

1 hour ago, eh up nah said:

I'm not sure what's more worrying.  

Performances or that reaction.

Basically well....yeah...we were crap....didn't really look at it....didn't do what we said....chat at halftime...bit better.....yeah....hopefully we'll be good Saturday. 

Hopefully John?!  

Worrying signs I think.

We've got absolutely no bite and we're playing like Askey's talking.

Just seeing if something will happen. 

I said it before, I'll say it again. We're basically becoming a sort of copy of John Askey's personality on the pitch. It's not going to end well, so do something about it now and give a new bloke a chance this season. Pretty much any other club and he'd have been walking tonight.

Edited by TylerB