Match Thread: Stevenage v Port Vale

What we wouldn't give for Tony Naylor right now.  He could make a goal out of absolutely nothing.  We've got nobody within a million miles of him.  Non of our 4 "strikers", and I use the word loosely, have the workrate of Naylor let alone the ability.
Despite all of his goals for us, I'll always remember him for that cross he made for Foyle at Everton, with the outside of his right foot. Pinpoint and absolute class!

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't talk rubbish, Tyler.  It's just that I'm considerably older than most of you lot and so I've seen all this before.  That's why I don't think we're going to win the league every time we get three

Even worse, I think you could argue that our best 11 contains 10 players that Askey inherited; Brown Gibbons Legge Smith Clark Oyeleke Joyce Conlon Amoo Pope Worrall Add this

Tonight was a culmination of several weeks. We're just, fundamentally, not a playoff side. Yes, we had suspensions and absences. Stevenage had won 4 in 49 before tonight, and 1 so far this s

Posted Images

1 hour ago, philmpv said:
10 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:
What we wouldn't give for Tony Naylor right now.  He could make a goal out of absolutely nothing.  We've got nobody within a million miles of him.  Non of our 4 "strikers", and I use the word loosely, have the workrate of Naylor let alone the ability.

Despite all of his goals for us, I'll always remember him for that cross he made for Foyle at Everton, with the outside of his right foot. Pinpoint and absolute class!

And the ball to Guppy for the winner v Everton. 

• Like 1

We’ve injuries and suspensions aplenty but still should have enough quality if we take the game to them. Unless there’s something about Harry I’ve missed then play him in the number 10 role behind whoever we stick up front. 
I’ll take a 1-0 off Calvin Andrew’s arse now. 
Not sure if it’s a must win game but certainly is if we want to silence the majority. 

• Like 2

Advert:

14 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Very true, but Naylor at his peak was a top class Championship striker who could have played in the Premier League. 

Cullen is the closest in profile to Naylor but nowhere near his standard. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

And Bill Bell released him because he reckoned he was injury prone!

Yes  Bill  Bell. did .I also Remember. That . Tony Naylor . Brilliant player for the vale . I wish we had Him now . Ray Walker .Andy Porter . and an old player Tommy Mac...all excellent players and a Lot more . Up the vale . Good Luck for tomorrow’. Night . Ag. Stevenage .. Vale need a Quick Goal . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Whatever team Askey picks, whatever formation he plays can we please , please ensure we finish the game with 11 players. Lets hope the 2 recent sending offs and their negative effect on the result has  sunk in.   Experienced players need to start showing that their years in the game has added more to them than just years , intelligence and game management is whats  required.

• Like 1

Advert:

First and probably only game I'll miss watching this season. Stevenage shouldn't even be a fixture. Don't care how we've been playing lately, I'm not watching a team who basically stand on the goal line throwing themselves around wasting time straight from kick off. Proper gutted when they changed their minds on relegation and kept them up over macc

So I hope you all enjoy the 5-0 win tomorrow now that I've set it up for you

46 minutes ago, glenpvfc said:

First and probably only game I'll miss watching this season. Stevenage shouldn't even be a fixture. Don't care how we've been playing lately, I'm not watching a team who basically stand on the goal line throwing themselves around wasting time straight from kick off. Proper gutted when they changed their minds on relegation and kept them up over macc

I would settle for 4 0wn goals and a penalty anytime.

• Haha 2

I just just hope for a positive performance and not a similar game as against Scunthorpe.  I thought that Scunthorpe were happy for our centre backs to have the ball and allow them to try and dictate the game.  We fell into the trap of doing just that and Legge and Smith are many things but creative ball players if not one of them.  Manny has to be prepared to drop deeper and pick up the ball and not allow our centre backs try and be our creative spark as I am not convinced it will work.

Advert:

20 hours ago, glenpvfc said:

Just hope they play until the final whistle, not give up at 90.

14 minutes ago, jimbo57 said:

I thought he turned down a new contract?

Apparently it was Belly's method of negotiating.  Naylor was top scorer, Bell offered him a contract which Naylor thought didn't reflect his value at the club.  Bell wouldn't negotiate - said take it or leave it. 

• Like 1