onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Stevenage v Port Vale

Fosse69

34 minutes ago, Emile said:

We weren't too bad away from home last season but I wonder if playing at an empty VP has had anything to do with our results so far this season. 

Might not have played so well every game but loosing a game by one goal in the last minute is a fine margin.

Talk about clutching at straws. How many times have Vale produced inept performances at Vale Park in front of a good crowd?!

Advert

9 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

Under the circumstances in which they wrestled the club from the clutches of Scumthwaite, the way they have put it back in the heart of the community and the way in which they have turned the club into place where nobody would touch with a barge stick to something that is respected in less than 18 months and also voted for the greater good of all clubs to end last season even though it hurt us to do so, gaining national accolade for doing so.  Given that Carol personally saw off every single coach to the Man City match because she cares about the fans and is one.

Give all that Tyler, and much more..

No, no you may not question the judgement of the owners because we aren't winning football matches at the moment.  In fact, they would have to do something incredibly underhanded to ever have there judgement questioned.

Have some respect and gratitude for the people without whom there would now be no Port Vale.

You don't, like Askey.  We all know that.  However, its not up to you is it.  Its up to Carol and I will back her judgement over anybody on this forum - period.

Good for you. Have fun up there on your high horse.

As the owner of the club, Carol is the only person that can actually do something to change what's going on, on the pitch. Askey is certainly showing that he's unable to. We all know what Carol and her hubby have done for the club without you going over everything we already know and are fully aware of. It sounds like you want to inhale her farts and tell everybody they smell of roses.

But if she doesn't get rid of Askey either now or very soon then, as the owner, that's on her. If she wants all of the top work she's done for the club to be undermined with what's happening on the pitch, which is the most important aspect of any football club along with the supporters, then by all means keep Askey in his job.

14 hours ago, TylerB said:

How many other clubs would allow a manager to get away with what Askey has this last month or so? Everyone was optimistic at the start of the season and yet here we are, out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle despite a home game against a Conference side and also losing 5, yes 5, league games on the bounce! Askey is taking the piss and will soon be making Carol look a bit silly if he hasn't already if she doesn't get rid while the season is still salvageable. 

Last season between the 19/2 and 2/7 Tottenham Hotspur played 9 games won 1, lost 5 and drew 3. They also drew with Watford, Bournemouth and Palace. When the season was put on hold for Covid they had lost 4 and drawn 3 in the previous 7. They beat West Ham, and in that time played Norwich, Sheffield Utd & Burnley and played some pretty dismal stuff. 

There had been optimism after going on a good run after Jose had took over in November. They could have got rid of Jose.

Mourinio looked down and out having been sacked at his last 2 jobs with his tactics and management style looking outdated and showing no willingness to change.

They started this season looking a bit ropy losing to Everton and drawing with Chelsea and & Newcastle with a 5-2 win at Southampton sandwiched in the middle. They went 1 down against Man U in the 2nd minute, equalised by the 4th and haven't looked back since.

We aren't Spurs, Askey isn't Mourinio & we look awful at the moment. Conceding late goals and losing a 2-0 lead knocks the confidence out of players. We currently look very poor but lets give the guy a chance to turn it around.

If come Christmas we are still in free fall then I am sure the owners will have something in the pipeline to replace him for January, if we have had an upturn in form then surely he deserves to the end of the season after the turnaround we had under him last year.

14 minutes ago, wotsyobeef said:

Last season between the 19/2 and 2/7 Tottenham Hotspur played 9 games won 1, lost 5 and drew 3. They also drew with Watford, Bournemouth and Palace. When the season was put on hold for Covid they had lost 4 and drawn 3 in the previous 7. They beat West Ham, and in that time played Norwich, Sheffield Utd & Burnley and played some pretty dismal stuff. 

There had been optimism after going on a good run after Jose had took over in November. They could have got rid of Jose.

Mourinio looked down and out having been sacked at his last 2 jobs with his tactics and management style looking outdated and showing no willingness to change.

They started this season looking a bit ropy losing to Everton and drawing with Chelsea and & Newcastle with a 5-2 win at Southampton sandwiched in the middle. They went 1 down against Man U in the 2nd minute, equalised by the 4th and haven't looked back since.

We aren't Spurs, Askey isn't Mourinio & we look awful at the moment. Conceding late goals and losing a 2-0 lead knocks the confidence out of players. We currently look very poor but lets give the guy a chance to turn it around.

If come Christmas we are still in free fall then I am sure the owners will have something in the pipeline to replace him for January, if we have had an upturn in form then surely he deserves to the end of the season after the turnaround we had under him last year.

Some people keep saying give him a chance. Are these people not seeing what's going on, on the pitch? Players look confused, have no confidence and just look bored. I don't think we've played particularly well all season to be honest and for me it goes beyond the last month or so. Why give him until the end of the season? He's not going to suddenly became any different. He'll still be far too negative in his approach to games. Still making a mockery of of his use of subs. Still putting out starting 11's that very few would have guessed. Still losing games we really should be winning. Still making toss sides like Scunthorpe and Stevenage look half decent.

It's almost like some people are happy to forget that everyone here was in agreement that we had a strong looking squad before a ball was kicked this season. We don't suddenly have a bad squad, or a bad first 11. John Askey, as the manager, is making it look that way. And he'll continue to make it look that way more often than not as long as he's got a hole in his arse and people are allowing him to get away with murder.

19 hours ago, Vale1995 said:

I mean i think now everything i have been saying everyone else is starting to see. Please highlight anything i say that you dont agree with and ill happily debate it with you 🙂 

You dont post anything worth debating tbh,you imo are just an attention seeking twonk or twonklet unlike others who i dont agree with but are at least able to debate about it.

16 hours ago, Vale1995 said:

My point about losing obviously i dont want us to lose but say if we win on saturday he may get 5 more games in charge what if we lose all them. If we lose on saturday i think it would benefit us in the long run if it meant it was the game to get askey sacked. 

So when all said and done you want us to lose,i want us to win every game if that means askey staying then good.... yes we could win saturday and he has more time then but we might then win 3 more who knows BUT you want vale to lose so askey goes...... very silly for a so called vale fan to want us lose imo

3 hours ago, TylerB said:

Only in your humble opinion.

Askey won't walk out of his cushy job so the only person that can actually really do something about this clusterfuck on the pitch are the owners. If he's still here in a few weeks time and both results and performances haven't significantly changed then surely their judgement can be questioned just like everyone else's.

Lets be honest would any of us walk away from our contracts? i wouldn't so i dont blame him for that

Personally i think he has 2 more games before Carol will act... no as i said above i want us to win both those games

2 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

Under the circumstances in which they wrestled the club from the clutches of Scumthwaite, the way they have put it back in the heart of the community and the way in which they have turned the club into place where nobody would touch with a barge stick to something that is respected in less than 18 months and also voted for the greater good of all clubs to end last season even though it hurt us to do so, gaining national accolade for doing so.  Given that Carol personally saw off every single coach to the Man City match because she cares about the fans and is one.

Give all that Tyler, and much more..

No, no you may not question the judgement of the owners because we aren't winning football matches at the moment.  In fact, they would have to do something incredibly underhanded to ever have there judgement questioned.

Have some respect and gratitude for the people without whom there would now be no Port Vale.

You don't, like Askey.  We all know that.  However, its not up to you is it.  Its up to Carol and I will back her judgement over anybody on this forum - period.

Why wouldn’t there be a port vale? Would nobody else come forward to buy us? You don’t know this. 

Ironic that you are quick to seek to dismiss others opinions on the basis that 'they don't know' when you yourself are calling for JA gone when you don't know that we won't win the next 5 games straight

Why wouldn’t there be a port vale? Would nobody else come forward to buy us? You don’t know this. 

I really hope for the sake of the club that Carol isn’t influenced by some of the posts in this forum. 

It is quite frankly astonishing to read the amount of negative and emotional posts wanting a knee jerk reaction. 

Some posters resemble headless chickens panicking. It is true we aren’t playing well and performances and results have been disappointing but to call for the manager to be sacked is nothing short of ridiculous and short sighted. 

I think Askey has to take responsibility but so do a lot of the players. Key players have made individual errors as well which have cost us games and have nothing at all to do with the manager. We could have quite easily taken points against Tranmere and Newport. We are playing as a team now that is low in confidence. We just need to build that up again which will come in time. 

I dread to think how long Rudge would have lasted if social media and forums had existed in the 1980s and 1990s. If we had sacked him after he got us relegated in the early 90s would we have had the success that we enjoyed afterwards? Did we even sack Rudge too early in the late 90s? We might have been relegated that season instead of staying up, but would we have come back stronger? Could he have rebuilt the tram better than Horton did? Who knows! 

My point is most managers will have wobbles and periods where results don’t  go there way. Didn’t Mark Robins or someone save Ferguson from getting the sack in the 80s. It begs the question if we feel that Askey has served his time what on earth are Sheffield United doing persisting with Chris Wilder. To my mind they would be bonkers to sack him even if it means that this season it doesn’t work out for them. 

I get that people are disappointed but we need to stop thinking short term. Some posts actually read as though some fans are willing us to lose and for Askey to fail just so that they can say that they were right and predicted it. 

Chopping and changing managers hasn’t exactly worked out for us in the past and changing now could put us on a slippery slope to non league. We seem to have had more bad managers than good ones since Rudge left. All I can say is that people should be careful what they wish for. 

I am not saying that sticking with Askey will 100% bring success but we have got to at least try and give someone time to build something. How many seasons has it taken Gareth Ainsworth? How many times could Wycombe have been impatient and replaced him? It must have taken him 6-8 years to get them where they are now in the Championship. Whereas it must be coming up to 20 years since we were last there. 

We have played some decent football under Askey something that wasn’t even possible under previous managers. Let’s hope he can turn it round and find the winning formula. 

The bingo card is fully ticked:

• "Social media and Rudge"
  • Fergie nearly got sacked
  • Ainsworth
  • Be careful what you wish for
  • Players making mistakes; nothing to do with the manager
  • Chopping and Changing
  • Negativity = kneejerk
  • Previous managers under a dire chairman were bad, therefore Askey's achievements under a much better chairwoman are magnified.

Look, I'm not out there protesting (socially distant) for Askey to go, but you're going to need to rely on more than the cliches that were trotted out when Aspin was on the ropes to win over the more virulent elements of the fanbase on here.

You can make a perfectly satisfactory argument that, under normal circumstances, Askey would have had us in the playoffs last season, or that he has improved our standing substantially since arrival, for example.

I'll summarise my views as concisely as possible; our squad was the 2nd oldest in the league last season, and is the oldest this season. Recruitment has been poor, so poor that we have allowed an already ageing squad to age further without signing replacements (evidenced by the turmoil since Joyce's suspension).

As a consequence, as Carol explicitly said in the Summer, we need to make the playoffs this season. The question we have to ask is; can Askey deliver this?

Didnt watch last night but saw the stats looked like a deserved defeat to me .

Wonder what carol thinks in fact she has gone very quiet .

Watched most of the games this season on ifollow and looks like we have being found out .

As Askey got a answer for it we will see as Carol seems like she is backing him mind you if you give someone a 3 year contract how you going pay him off with hardly any money coming in .

Covid has killed this season this far but the Vale players have killed folks positivity ( not all of them but collectively they have failed as a group ,considering they were the same players being lauded last season it tells me they have no motivation play the motivation comes from the support and with no one there they are just going through the motions  ,what a November 5 defeats in a row what a terrible month for all us long suffering Valiants .

Good job theres more to life .

Let's hope we find some heart and character soon or else we be in the national league before we know it .

Stoke are on a Crest of a wave why is it when they do well we do crap ,is it acceptable ,is it heck UTV 

25 minutes ago, Joe B said:

The bingo card is fully ticked:

• "Social media and Rudge"
  • Fergie nearly got sacked
  • Ainsworth
  • Be careful what you wish for
  • Players making mistakes; nothing to do with the manager
  • Chopping and Changing
  • Negativity = kneejerk
  • Previous managers under a dire chairman were bad, therefore Askey's achievements under a much better chairwoman are magnified.

Look, I'm not out there protesting (socially distant) for Askey to go, but you're going to need to rely on more than the cliches that were trotted out when Aspin was on the ropes to win over the more virulent elements of the fanbase on here.

You can make a perfectly satisfactory argument that, under normal circumstances, Askey would have had us in the playoffs last season, or that he has improved our standing substantially since arrival, for example.

Cliches? I am looking back at what has happened in our club’s history and also comparing what has happened at other clubs. At least bring an argument or point of discussion instead of dismissing an opinion as a ‘bingo card’. 

The question is why are people so impatient. 

It isn’t for me to win over the fan base. I am merely voicing my opinion.That is Askey’s problem. I am relying on what has happened at other clubs who have gone on to be successful. 

5 hours ago, Emile said:

We weren't too bad away from home last season but I wonder if playing at an empty VP has had anything to do with our results so far this season. 

Might not have played so well every game but loosing a game by one goal in the last minute is a fine margin.

By far the biggest factors, in no particular order, an inabilty to score goals, somewhat down to recruitment, pretty much ALL the players who've featured so far being well below par, although I'll excuse the 2 goalkeepers from this, and some questionable decisions from the management team.

No crowds is well down the list in my opinion.  I'd suggest that if fans were in as normal on Saturday the atmosphere would be toxic, and would be a negative rather than positive influence to the team's performance and confidence.  Sadly, it may in fact be better that we're not allowed back just now.

Archived