onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Stevenage v Port Vale

Fosse69

9 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

Dont talk stupid,nowhere near as bad as those two compare their overall record,he has been poor yes but so have many others.

Just out of interest what has cullen done? plenty seem to love him

He’s been worse than them two for vale. No question. What’s his goal record for us? 3 in about 35 games. He’s awful

Advert

19 hours ago, Vale1995 said:

As stupid as it sounds i actually dont want us to get a equaliser because all that will do is buy him more time and would mask over this shambolic perfomance 

Serious question have any of your 200+ posts not been just anti askey?

For me i couldnt give a monkeys chuff if he goes now or not,games have been crap and i have never been a massive fan of Askey but no point me kicking and screaming i leave the decisions to the woman whose club it is,a very clever and hard business woman,i want vale to start winning and win every game but i get the feeling SOME want us to keep losing so askey is replaced,if thats the case then thats sad imo as i never want vale lose

5 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

Serious question have any of your 200+ posts not been just anti askey?

For me i couldnt give a monkeys chuff if he goes now or not,games have been crap and i have never been a massive fan of Askey but no point me kicking and screaming i leave the decisions to the woman whose club it is,a very clever and hard business woman,i want vale to start winning and win every game but i get the feeling SOME want us to keep losing so askey is replaced,if thats the case then thats sad imo as i never want vale lose

There were plenty of times I praised him last season. Last season he deserved a lot of praise from everyone. This season after a good start he's been abysmal at times, and those times are becoming more and more frequent. Hence the criticism.

3 hours ago, Emile said:

I think we can turn this around. I really hate that if someone looses a few games and the team play so badly you sack the manager - but improvements are really needed from the players and the manager.

- We need to stop conceeding late goals regularly
- We need to have more shots and play more attacking football

- We need to win some <ovf censored> football matches.

You're right in what we need.

The question is can JA play a different way to have more shots, more attacking football to give us a greater chance of winning whilst conceding less late goals. 

The evidence suggests no.

Its embarrassing to be a Vale fan at the moment! To loose to a non league side then another side who but for macs demise would be non league is worrying to say  the least. I can accept we have been a little unlucky in a few of the games but I cannot except sloppy and half hearted attitudes. The players should be hanging there heads in shame and giving back half there wages to the owners because there are only playing to half there worth.

I can accept loosing but I cannot accept lack of effort and commitment  we really need some steel and guts in the side, some bums need kicking and a few teacups thrown. I am very worried and concerned I just hope things can be turn around and quick.  

19 hours ago, Joe B said:

I don't doubt that, but I think she's the type to go long-term and not make a decision like this mid-season. There isn't a gluttony of good managers free and available, so I think she'll prefer to hold tight and limp to May before crunch time falls.

Carol wants top 7 at the very least FACT she isnt happy with things right now FACT will she make a knee jerk reaction decision i doubt it,is askey untouchable NO she is a business woman and a clever one,she will be hurting trust me on that,he will be in charge saturday and possibly bolton imo

47 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Probably end up being a long post this.

I don't think we need an 'experienced' or 'proven' manager. 

People point to the failures of Bruno, Brown, and Aspin as evidence that Port Vale needed a League Veteran, but that was under the most incompetent and volatile chairman in the Football League. He was appointing inadequate managers, and then giving them THE worst possible situation to succeed in (not defending any of them for their failures, mind).

However, things are different now. We have a proper owner, who has developed all facets of the club to ensure it has been steady and survived a financial crisis, engaging local businesses and raising our profile in the media. The players are looked after and we are happy to reward good performances with contract. Askey got given a 3 year deal off the back of a decent run of games in March/April 2019. 

As a consequence, I don't see an equivalence is us appointing a young, fresh manager this week, for example, and us appointing one under Smurthwaite. It might be the lift the club needs. We're never going to financially compete for the proper big names, and people bandying around names such as the Cowleys, Adkins, or Cook are not being realistic. If we want an 'experienced' manager who will come to Port Vale, we're looking at Simon Grayson.

Here's something interesting; the top 3 last year were managed by three relatively young, relatively new managers; Artell was in his first job, Lowe was in his 2nd full season (promoted in both), Wellens was in his 2nd full season. Of the top 7, Duff was in his first job at Cheltenham, Taylor was in his first job at Exeter, McGreal was in his first job at Colchester. Only Curle bucked the trend.

This season; Flynn, top, is in his first job, Duff, second,  in his first job, Bonner, third, is in his first job, Beech, sixth, is in his first job. 

These clubs have garnered success by taking punts on managers; younger coaches with new ideas, either in their first job or their second full season as managers. Whilst you could point to Curle, their promotion was slightly fortuitous and I wouldn't have bet on them making the top 7 if the season hadn't stopped.

My overriding point is that we do not need to fall back on the trope of 'get an old head in' because Micky was good in 2012 and Norman appointed a load of frauds and chucked them to the lions. 

We've got a well-run club and will get some really good applicants in. Carol knows what she's doing and might find a diamond of a coach, currently assistant elsewhere (remember a lad called John Rudge?) or coaching at an elite academy, who is desperate for a proper managerial job.

Just my view; we won't go down so don't need a dinosaur to bully the players to 50 points. Port Vale are never going to spend their way to success. We've got some foundations of a reasonable side, which needs a bit of better recruitment, more innovative tactics, and a bit of a refresh.

I've called for out of the box recruitment for years, and maybe we need to take a leaf out of all of the other successful sides at this level and be a bit 'left-field' in the dugout too.

Brian Horton it is.

That is a good post Joe.

The only point i'd take you up on is the ' out of the box recruitment '.

We tried that with a certain Mr Sinnott. I believe Southend also went a bit leftfield with was it the Weymouth boss who is i believe not yet 40.

There is out of the box and out of the box. 

No disrespect here but does Carol know her managers ? After all she was a fan like ourselves and not a huge aficionado of the game by her own admission.

Archived