onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Stevenage v Port Vale

Fosse69

10 minutes ago, philmpv said:
23 minutes ago, Sandyford_Lion said:
We need Tom to play EVERY game

Yes, because that's worked out well so far this season and for the last 3 seasons hasn't it

It was referring to Ellison still playing and scoring but he plays a few minutes when he comes on. We need Tom to do more than that.

Pope is not the Pope of the past but the others offer little else. I would still start with Pope for most games.

Advert

2 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

I could begin to understand this call for JA's head if Vale were getting thumped every game and playing poorly but that's not the case.

Yep we've lost the last 5 games but all by a single goal but we were in all those games right to the end. Granted tonight's performance wasn't good but in the others refereeing decisions or extra time goals or an inability to put the ball in the net cost Vale dear, not poor performances.

We’ve been awful. Absalutley awful for the last 5 games. If us being in the game against kings lynn at home. Scunthorpe at home. And Stevenage away is good enough We might as well give up. 

That was so bad. I'm not an Askey out bloke. I'd give him until the end of the season. But that was so poor. The worst of all worst things for Vale fans, we didn't even look like we were trying. Totally second best. The better team won, and 2-1 flatters us.

18 minutes ago, Andyregs said:

We either change managers before the transfer window (a few weeks before to make it worthwhile), or wait until the end of the season (unless we get into trouble). 

Whether or not we write the season off.

I suppose it all depends what the club's hierarchy wants/needs/expects

33 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Yep we've lost the last 5 games but all by a single goal but we were in all those games right to the end.

Paul its about the general play. We are just toothless, lacking creativity or plan b. Team react badly to going a goal down lacking character. We have not scored a goal from an open goal in the last 4 league games. I'm not even going to reference the King Lynn debacle. This is a big reason why some including myself are saying he needs to go.

Shots on target - :

Stevenage  (bottom 2 at the time of playing)- 3

Newport - 3

Scunthorpe - 2 (bottom 2 at the time of playing)

Tranmere - 4

Damning statistics about how we are set-up.

I've written it off. It is not so the results, you can get the rub of the green go against you. Daft ref and so. It's the performances. When have we actually played well this season? Tonight took the biscuit. We were played off the pitch and 2-1 flattered us.

By Stevenage. Says it all.

1 hour ago, eh up nah said:

I'm not sure what's more worrying.  

Performances or that reaction.

Basically well....yeah...we were crap....didn't really look at it....didn't do what we said....chat at halftime...bit better.....yeah....hopefully we'll be good Saturday. 

Hopefully John?!  

Worrying signs I think.

We've got absolutely no bite and we're playing like Askey's talking.

Just seeing if something will happen. 

I said it before, I'll say it again. We're basically becoming a sort of copy of John Askey's personality on the pitch. It's not going to end well, so do something about it now and give a new bloke a chance this season. Pretty much any other club and he'd have been walking tonight.

Honestly people saying give him to the end of the season sort your heads out for how many years have we settled for nothing but second best year after year. Weve finally got a chairman who cares about vale and genuinely has ambition why waste another year. Were not going down askey has been shocking this season even our wins we havent looked great. He is so one dimensional its beyond a joke. That perfomance tonight was totally unacceptable and we should not settle for that anymore. I cant see him turning it around so why drop more points with him in charge. Get someone new in and give them this season to try and make something of it. Askeys signings genuinely are some of the worst players ive ever seen. Watching tonight i think that team would struggle get promotion from the conference never mind league 2 he is not getting anywhere near the best from the players. He is the most lack luster guy ive ever listened to and it looks like its rubbing off on the players. Carol is a vale fan first and she will have seen whats happened over the last few weeks and i for one hope she doesnt settle for that either because tonight was a <ovf censored> JOKE. 

ASKEY OUT

I’ve seen these sort of things before when a manager is under pressure, and I stand by my previous comment that he’s lost the plot. Examples:

Winning 3-2 vs Tranmere, on comes Oyeleke - great I think, he’ll marshal the midfield and put his foot on the ball - he goes up front...

Scunthorpe game, switching to the untried 4-2-3-1 system. Bit different - some players looked a bit awkward but McKirdy did well.

Newport just before the sending off - on comes Robinson for Rodney who had been playing wide - great I think, we were on top and going to have a proper go with 2 strikers. Oh, straight swap, Robinson on the wing while McKirdy stays on the bench...

And tonight’s tactical master stroke... Again this unproven 4-2-3-1 system and the very left-sided Montano is on the right wing, I’ve never seen him play there. Plus the continued rotation of the striker so no one can get any momentum going. Robinson starts having done nothing to justify his selection. At least Cullen had been getting into some good positions in the last 2 games. Why not Rodney??

It’s just bonkers and quite frankly, out of character for Askey as he’s never really been a manager to put square pegs in round holes unless really necessary. It smacks of desperation and he has got to go before the season slips away from us.

Another point- as others have said, Rodney was really the only player to come out of the game with any credit and I was disappointed Bowers was so negative about him when he was the only player who wanted the ball, to drive forward and actually have a go!

8 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/john-askeys-verdict-port-vale-4733675

”Hopefully on Saturday they’ll play like they did 2nd half...”

Great, I can’t wait.

That is incredible really. For 35 minutes we were utter tripe, then we decide to wake up and give it a go for 10 minutes.

And he thinks that will suffice against Orient? 

There has been a lot of bandying about of stats about how wonderful things are, we are better off than last season etc etc.

This is tongue in cheek but also facts

Ironically last season game 14 was also Stevenage ( 1-1 at Home )

Last season

W 4 D 6 L 4  19-21 Points 18

This season

W 6 D 1 L 7 16-15 Points 19

So the fact is that we are actually one point better off than last season. 

You could ask why we all feel so despondent then ? Well not all of us but a vast majority.

Well we turned the corner after beating Swindon at Christmas and went on an exceptional run with some really good wins at the likes of Northampton, FGR and the dismantling of Colchester at Vale Park. .

Up to Christmas the results were still very bitty with wins and mainly draws mainly glossed over by the euphoria of beating Crewe .

We had the boost and excitement of the day out at Man City, one for the memory banks in the future, and the feel good factor kept gathering pace as only our usual pap at Swindon stood in our way before the season was curtailed.

The performances this season and the sudden downturn in form do not give cause for any optimism of a renaissance like last season, we look bereft of any quality or creativity.

So ultimately we have no cup run due to losing to the team who had the worst defence in non-league football and the feel good factor is diminishing by the day.

The light at the end of the tunnel is if we get to Wembley in the Papa Johns we might get a free Pizza thrown in to watch it on ifollow.

Archived