onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Official website: RIP John Rowland

News Feed

Advert

Sad news, I have vivid memories of John Rowland.  His record when he was moved from right wing to centre forward was fabulous. His run of scoring in successive games is still a record.  He was the scorer of the first Port Vale goal I can recall in detail. It was in March 1963 against Carlisle.  We had a throw midway into their half, the left back turned his back on John and went to pick up a position marking another Vale player. Quick as a flash John took throw in and deliberately bounced it off the back of the defender.  He took the rebound dribbled to the edge of the area and let fly a shot with his customary venomous power. What a goal.

Two years later Vale were playing a pre-season training game and friendly against Shrewsbury at Tunstall Park (yes seriously Tunstall Park).  John fired a shot which missed.  A fan tried to be clever and catch the ball.  It knocked his hands backwards then the ball careered off to hit me square in the face.  Lol Hamlett came round with his magic sponge to check that I was ok.

John had speed, the hardest shot I can remember of any Vale player, he scored goals, made goals, but we were in dire straights financially and he had to go, even though he didn't want to leave.

RIP John Rowland

Sad news, Johnny Rowlands was my first " Hero" His shot was legendary, my memory is probably befuddled but all his goals to me as a school boy were 30yd rockets, they seemed to fly in from everywhere.

I'm sure as well in that 7 game goal scoring run, some of the goals were due to him running from the halfway line with defenders in his wake and him beating the goalie with his traditional shot from way outside the area.

We christened him cannonball, I can't think of a Vale player since who has consistently used his powerful shot on such a regular basis, it wasn't once or twice a season but every game he'd let fly.

Very sad to hear the news about John Rowland he was my favorite player of all time i'v been watching the vale,in fact i purchased a photo of him which stands in pride and place in our living room.Like people have said John had the hardest shot i have seen in the game people said about Peter Lorimer it was nowhere near that John could hit it. I was at that cup match at Birmingham city talking to some brum fans they were saying that there left back was the quickest in the country his name was Green and a welsh international it only took 10 minutes of the match to eat there words John flew past him what a smile i had on my face when i turned round to them.When he switched to centre forward he was more dangerous than ever nobody could catch him and then he would unleash a shot of terrific power it seemed to go through a phase that it would strike the woodwork and Tony Richards would just be standing thee to tuck it into the net oh! the memories i have of my hero as a ladd growing up supporting my club that means so much to me.So farewell my hero and thanks for all the memories of watching you play for my beloved team R.I.P.

Archived