onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

John Askey

Powerline

Advert

On 20/11/2020 at 07:55, darren1810 said:

Whether they want Askey in or out I do wish people would stop using last season as a comparison. 

Apparently we are 2 points better off than last season ? And that proves what exactly ? 

It proves nothing, firstly the opposition comes into play and also we have played 7 home games compared to 5 away. Although granted our away form is better.

We might of possibly lost maybe 2 in 15 after our yearly capitulation at Swindon. Also finished the season was it 8 unbeaten ? Are we likely to replicate that, unlikely. 

I am firmly in the Keep Askey camp but it feels like those who aren't are shot down in flames and ridiculed .

Strange that it happens a lot on here if you don't fit the narrative. 

Questions have to be asked, it's not about how many points it's about how we are performing and a seemingly lack of game management or plan B. 

We all think we know best I'm no exception but when it's so glaringly obvious to us why isn't it to JA ?

Take last Saturday after their 3rd okay it's disappointing but we'll take a point at 3-3 kill the game dead by bringing on Brisley. Appalling that he didn't as Tranmere had huge momentum. The reluctance to not alter tactics depending on opposition is also killing us. 

He has to change his way of thinking depending on circumstances. 

Great post. There is no such thing as free speech anymore I’m afraid, if you express an opinion that doesn’t, as you say, fit with the narrative!then you are shot down by vocal extremists as being some sort of heretic. Anyway, I digress...

I have said this numerous times about looking beyond a point total because the law of averages dictates that over a full season you’ll end up exactly where you deserve based on performances (ok, maybe not last season due to it being cut short).

The pattern of play is a concern. Tippy tappy football, frankly, bores me to death especially the relentless backwards/sideways passing that yields little in either chances or goals.

As is the use of substitutions and general team selection. We know strikers are in short supply, but are we trying to mold established players like Robinson and Cullen, who have clearly enjoyed relative success at better teams than us, into roles that clearly don’t suit them? Why not buy the players for that role? If they aren’t available, then change the system playing to their strengths?

3 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

He has to put on a public face of support for his team. That is basic PR.

Ok, I’ve got my tin hat on.

i happen to agree with JA,we have played well the last 2 games especially the Scunny game wher we murdered them for virtually 90 mins. It’s just a lot of bad luck and bad refereeing decisions going against us,  good goals disallowed in each of the last 3 games, pen not given V Scunny.

10 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Ok, I’ve got my tin hat on.

i happen to agree with JA,we have played well the last 2 games especially the Scunny game wher we murdered them for virtually 90 mins. It’s just a lot of bad luck and bad refereeing decisions going against us,  good goals disallowed in each of the last 3 games, pen not given V Scunny.

Eh? We didn’t have a shot on target first half. We look tidy on the ball but they just let us have it. We certainly didn’t murder them. They allowed us to have the ball at the back and do nothing with it. 

Askey in, no question. Vale are in a much better place now performance wise and quality/depth of  squad compared to the days when Ribeiro ripped the playing fabric out of the club and the dire tactics of Aspin. It was always gonna take at least 3 years to repair the damage done by Ribeiro/Smurthwaite and IMHO Askey is on the right track.

IMHO We're not quite as strong as last season due mainly to the loss of Jake Taylor.

10 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

MHO We're not quite as strong as last season due mainly to the loss of Jake Taylor.

I'm not sure about that. Jake was great early doors last season without doubt but when we where at our best in Jan -Mar I don't recall Jake in the team that often due to his injury.  It think it was more down to a settled team who gained some self belief and stopped conceding late goals. 

I’ve personally not seen enough of Vales games to cast too much of an opinion on Askey. However, the games I have seen have been painful to watch. The new owners are clearly making good progressive strides off the pitch, but on the pitch we’re slowly going in the opposite direction. With no stand-out teams this year, promotion is there for the taking and with our squad we should be in a much stronger league position.

The question I ask myself isn’t whether Askey should be sacked, but whether Askey can take us anywhere.

Question..... Does anyone really believe that if by a miracle we get promoted, then we will do anything other than struggle in division 1 with this squad?  A big turn around of players would be needed in my opinion along with obviously a different outlook on how we play. Therefore as it looks likely that Askey will remain here, we need to resign ourselves to another division 2 escapade next season because we cannot change.  Are fans going to accept that in view of the fantastic feel good factor generated by the new owners? I suspect not.

Solution must be therefore to change now and see if we can actually get in someone to motivate what we have. The only alternative as I see it is yet more of the same under Askey. He simply cannot change. I agree wholeheartedly that he has been a good, steadying influence in very unusual and difficult times but my many years of supporting Vale cry out to me that we cannot progress any further with him in charge.  None of us can predict the end of this campaign but in the time he's been here can anyone, hand on heart say that he is the man to forwardly progress our brilliant Club?

There, that's off my chest and I expect some on here will lambast me and continue to wallow in the fact that we are seemingly a "better" squad now. Better than what though? good enough to gain promotion and progress further? No. 

16 hours ago, geoff1 said:

frank sinclair, cheapest option!

Why do you think we will go for the cheapest option if needed??

We wont but also those who keep saying paul cook and the cowleys are living in cuckoo land,it is my belief we could match what the cowleys were on at Lincoln but nowhere near Huddersfield and as for Cook,well there is more chance of me getting sex off the mrs than him coming to league 2

44 minutes ago, hamilboy said:

I will just say this about Askey if he thinks Montano is full back he has completely lost the plot.

Really? I think he's been a pretty decent fullback for a couple of years, and has had spells of being a really good player there. Makes the odd mistake but, for example, saved us yesterday with a goal line block. Last season, between his mistake on Boxing Day and his mistake in mid-March, he was amongst our most consistent performers in that good run we had.

There's a lot of faults with Askey but this is, quite blatantly, not one of them.

Archived