onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

John Askey

Powerline

We caught everyone by surprise last year by over performing when the reality is our mid table budget was lower last season than under previous ownership and is probably even lower this season. Askey is on thin ice there's no doubt about it but who's coming to replace him when there's no money to spend yet fans demand promotion.
The main problem this year is high expectations and low budget

Advert

12 minutes ago, dishydave said:

We caught everyone by surprise last year by over performing when the reality is our mid table budget was lower last season than under previous ownership and is probably even lower this season. Askey is on thin ice there's no doubt about it but who's coming to replace him when there's no money to spend yet fans demand promotion.

Unfortunately, when your owner says publicly to national broadcasters that 'we're not doing 8th again', fans of a success-starved football team are going to latch onto it. 

Not saying it's right or wrong, it's just how football works. Fans got themselves whipped up as a result of:

1. Finishing the season in good form

2. Keeping players such as Smith amidst competition

3. Owner reaffirming that their high expectations were shared by the club

It worked in one sense as we sold a load of STs with no guarantee any of us would see a game of football, which would have helped the club's finances big time. We also had record shirt sales, I believe.

It's backfired in the other sense as now we're into December and look more of a mid-table outfit than an 'above 8th' outfit.

32 minutes ago, dishydave said:

I think a problem this season has been that teams know how we play under Askey(unlike a lot of last season) and as we know the concerning part is that it doesn't look like Askey know how to change it.

He tried the 4-4-2 that people were asking for and we were poor but why not try a 5-3-2 or the Rudge 4-5-1 away from home,i am always hopeful of a win but today is going to be difficult,lose and i do wonder how long carol will KTF

58 minutes ago, vale@rocks said:

One swallow does not a summer, there are still issues with the  strikers and the defence has its own problems. Some confidence after today and a better nights sleep ahead. 😀 

It does to a few melts here. These are the same people who tell you you're talking nonsense and insist you're not a Vale fan if you're angry at losing 5 games on the bounce that are now believing we're suddenly the Guardiola Barcelona team after beating an horrendously shocking (they have good players going forward) Bolton team. Talk about fickle and being hypocritical.

12 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

How are people who have been defending Askey whilst you have been leading the charge to string him up fickle and hypocritical?

Melts?  You seem more angry now we have won than you have been during the poor run.

I guess for some, being proved right is more important than a Vale win.  Quite sad really.

Anyone that are suddenly thinking everything is fine after one win but weren't having any of it when some were complaining that we lost 5 on the bounce in the league are both of those things. Let's see how we get on at home next Saturday in a game where there's a little bit of pressure and expectancy once again.

48 minutes ago, TylerB said:

It does to a few melts here. These are the same people who tell you you're talking nonsense and insist you're not a Vale fan if you're angry at losing 5 games on the bounce that are now believing we're suddenly the Guardiola Barcelona team after beating an horrendously shocking (they have good players going forward) Bolton team. Talk about fickle and being hypocritical.

You keep consistently pushing the Askey out viewpoint that you have, that’s your opinion which is fine. But the moment you start with the personal insults on other fans with a different viewpoint / something else to say then that’s when I switch off to whatever you have to say. I don’t think anyone is saying everything is fine, everyone can see the positives and negatives from today.

2 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

You keep consistently pushing the Askey out viewpoint that you have, that’s your opinion which is fine. But the moment you start with the personal insults on other fans with a different viewpoint / something else to say then that’s when I switch off to whatever you have to say. I don’t think anyone is saying everything is fine, everyone can see the positives and negatives from today.

No they can't. I'm getting criticised on the match thread just for calling our defence out for what it is currently.

I've also given Askey nothing but a bit of praise today so that first sentence is nonsense too.

49 minutes ago, TylerB said:

Anyone that are suddenly thinking everything is fine after one win but weren't having any of it when some were complaining that we lost 5 on the bounce in the league are both of those things. Let's see how we get on at home next Saturday in a game where there's a little bit of pressure and expectancy once again.

And just to confirm earlier criticism, you're already looking forward to a possible loss.

If you've been watching us for years, you'll understand how barren our land has been. Enjoy our win and enjoy the fact that we're only a win away from the playoffs. This is a good position to push on from; even after the last  matches!

6 minutes ago, Ron C said:

And just to confirm earlier criticism, you're already looking forward to a possible loss.

If you've been watching us for years, you'll understand how barren our land has been. Enjoy our win and enjoy the fact that we're only a win away from the playoffs. This is a good position to push on from; even after the last  matches!

I'm not looking forward to a possible loss at all. But this is Vale. How many times do we follow up something excellent with something on the other end of the scale? Bolton were horrific at the back today and we took full advantage of that. And it was great to see. But it's one win, regardless of whether it's 3-6 or a scrappy and lucky one nil. If we put a few results together than I'll start to change my opinion on Askey. That's the thing with everything in life, your opinion can and does change sometimes. As someone who thought Askey was very lucky to survive our results and performances over the last couple of months it would be a bit daft for me to suddenly change my whole tune after one game. But that doesn't make me any less happy about the win and attacking performance today, and that's what some people don't seem to understand.

We were great and deserved the win. But we conceded 3 and could have conceded 5 or 6 on another day ourselves. I call it as I see it. And Bolton despite having some decent names averaged pretty much a goal every game before 3pm today, so they're bang average in that regard.

Archived