Advert:

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought I’d start this thread so it doesn’t get lost in the match threads. Some of our fan base this season has been an embarrassment, calling for Askey to be sacked. We need to take a step back,

Bollox. If you mean 80/90% of posts, you may be close to the mark, but the vast majority of those posts were made by the same half dozen who pop up vociferously whenever we lose. You've fallen into th

I think that the counter attacking way in which we play is probably more to do with the last few seasons performance rather than the way the manager wants to play. We are not in a mid table existence.

3 hours ago, Mario said:

Dull and inbred, you fit the bill perfectly, using the derogatory term you have done to describe facebook is an insult to anyone who has contact with Downs syndrome ,You should apologise and remove the remark.

Thank you for removing the comment Fosse.

On 01/12/2020 at 17:34, Sting said:

If John is reading this then Sting would like to let him know that the situation at the moment is being closely monitored. That is all Sting will say on this subject at the moment but Port Valers can certainly be assured that Sting is here and watching closely.

Every single day, and every word you say, every game you play, every night you stay, Sting is watching you.

Sting is sure that this reminder was in John's mind on Saturday, it was probably also relayed to the troops and had an impact on performance and therefore result ISO. 

The point still stands, Sting is still watching, all Port Valers can be assured of this.

Treasure life each day.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Joe B said:

Just so it's clear; was never on the cards that Askey would be sacked: https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/i-dont-want-give-job-4771202

As I've said I have my views on his limitations and where we'll be in a couple of years, but trust Carol to the extent where if she's intent on keeping him, I'll keep my mouth shut. 

Carol is always going to put continuity and stability at the forefront of her decision-making, so I think we're unlikely to see anything major until the Summer. Of course, Askey now has no excuses; he's been backed extensively, and needs to deliver. Let us hope this nightmare November doesn't turn out to cost us. We can't afford to slip up many more times now; we need to be consistently decent from here on out. 

Backed extensively? Backed, certainly. So he should be.

In case you are oblivious to it, the current budget is significantly less than under Aspin. Relative to the rest of the division it is below mid-way. Hardly extensive.

Can't afford to slip up? Unlike the last decade, then? That is what the weak minded say. We are in a very solid position. We are primed for a promotion push when the injuries kick in after Christmas. The drop off for our squad is not enormous. We have multiple players for all positions.

What we need is a united club. Fans, players, owners and coaching staff.

Advert:

Enjoying the topic and debate as to folks opinions on whether Askey should stay or go. For me personally irrelevant of yesterday’s crazy result, I don’t feel Askey will get us promoted  for a number of reasons and therefore should be replaced. Further, the true opinion of fans (for or against Askey staying), who ever you speak to will always ultimately be judged by match day attendances which prior to the situation we find our selves in was not very good. 

Interesting article on the Sentinel site today regarding Askey. I've given him some stick here lately, nothing personal, but I think sometimes it is easy to forget that he's just a bloke that's paid to do his job and he more than anyone will be going home feeling absolutely terrible after losing so many games on the bounce, which didn't seem possible at the beginning of the season. If nothing else I hope that he slept a bit better last night. Regardless of where we finish this season it's important to not forget that at the very least, he more than steadied the ship and played a big part in giving the club a bit of optimism and belief going into what has been a nightmare year all round.

• Like 5

Fair enough again never said they didn’t. (I literally don’t know a fan personally who felt he needed more time) It is frustrating this forum. One win and everyone who questioned askey seems to be getting hounded out as being wrong. We need to keep that level of performance up and defend much better 
If you try to hound the manager out of the club don't be surprised that people who feel that your actions are unfair direct the same sort of behaviour back at you.

Backed extensively? Backed, certainly. So he should be.
In case you are oblivious to it, the current budget is significantly less than under Aspin. Relative to the rest of the division it is below mid-way. Hardly extensive.
Can't afford to slip up? Unlike the last decade, then? That is what the weak minded say. We are in a very solid position. We are primed for a promotion push when the injuries kick in after Christmas. The drop off for our squad is not enormous. We have multiple players for all positions.
What we need is a united club. Fans, players, owners and coaching staff.

13th highest budget in the league apparently this season

Advert:

In reply to the earlier post I agree Askey is just a bloke like the rest of us folks who cares about their jobs and I’m sure he takes every defeat personally and is trying to do his best. On the flip side, Carol and co bought a business at an horrendously over inflated price no thanks to the previous owner !!!! So I’m sure that they will want a return on their investment.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

So what was the problem when Askey took over a team hurtling towards relegation?  He binned a few players out for causing problems and we stabilised...  that kind of defeats your point.  

Football is probably more susceptible to the bad egg influence than your average workplace if anything.  It only takes one telling a few they are better than the players above them etc..  footballers love an ego massage.  It really doesn't take much and I know the Askey hate mob (not you, they know who they are) are desperate for McKirdy to single handedly come into the team and dazzle after Aksey goes, proving them right because that's what its about, but it ain't going to happen.

I will be enjoying a John Askey led promotion come May, whilst the few, what was the word?  Oh yeh, melts on here who hate Askey will be sulking in the corner.

So you think Askey turning the team around was as simple as binning out a few "bad eggs"?  What about hard work on the training ground?

Either way, I would guess that football is no more susceptible to the bad egg influence than any other walk of life, in the sense that it's made up of a similar broad spectrum of personalities, some of whom are more professional than their peers, some less so.  I think if it's one or two fringe players unsettled, as is being suggested, it's not a major problem.  You can only put 11 players out on the park so it's normal for players to know what it's like to miss out and not over-react.  It's part of the job.  It's also quite common to read "so and so is training with the kids".  It happens at football clubs across the land.  People fall out.  All sorts of things happen in any workplace and mostly people just get on with things.  It doesn't automatically lead to the wheels falling off.  The real problems start when you have cliques of players in the squad, along with major disciplinary issues, as would appear to have been the case when Askey took charge.

• Like 1

So you think Askey turning the team around was as simple as binning out a few "bad eggs"?  What about hard work on the training ground?
Either way, I would guess that football is no more susceptible to the bad egg influence than any other walk of life, in the sense that it's made up of a similar broad spectrum of personalities, some of whom are more professional than their peers, some less so.  I think if it's one or two fringe players unsettled, as is being suggested, it's not a major problem.  You can only put 11 players out on the park so it's normal for players to know what it's like to miss out and not over-react.  It's part of the job.  It's also quite common to read "so and so is training with the kids".  It happens at football clubs across the land.  People fall out.  All sorts of things happen in any workplace and mostly people just get on with things.  It doesn't automatically lead to the wheels falling off.  The real problems start when you have cliques of players in the squad, along with major disciplinary issues, as would appear to have been the case when Askey took charge.

I wouldn’t say 1 win in 7 constitutes turning the team around , lose on Saturday the vultures will be circling again

Advert:

16 minutes ago, vale victory said:

I wouldn’t say 1 win in 7 constitutes turning the team around , lose on Saturday the vultures will be circling again

The comment I replied to alludes to when JA took over rather than the current situation.