onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

John Askey

Powerline

24 minutes ago, dazzerjames said:

Most sensible , balanced post I’ve read on here . I agree emoji121.png️. People after a fast fix which just doesn’t exist unless someone wants to throw millions at it which we can’t. Stable and steady progress with the continued improvements off the field certainly suits me for now ! Can always be re assessed at the end of the season.

Fast fix? Been in this league for years with a far bigger budget than others this season. 

owners said they wanted higher than 8th so why is the dross that’s been served up acceptable? 

what progress have we made? We’re a worse side than last season with signings that have made us worse rather than better. Can’t give a manager until the end of the season period; what if we go and lose the next 2/3 games again? 

one good game and people think we’re going to be flying back into play off contention again.

Advert

Fast fix? Been in this league for years with a far bigger budget than others this season. 

owners said they wanted higher than 8th so why is the dross that’s been served up acceptable? 

what progress have we made? We’re a worse side than last season with signings that have made us worse rather than better. Can’t give a manager until the end of the season period; what if we go and lose the next 2/3 games again? 

one good game and people think we’re going to be flying back into play off contention again.
You're fast becoming the forum clown PV4L. Give it a rest. You go on at me for commenting on pope, yet your hatred of JA and totally unbalanced view beggars belief.

31 minutes ago, philmpv said:
39 minutes ago, PortVale4Life said:

You're fast becoming the forum clown PV4L. Give it a rest. You go on at me for commenting on pope, yet your hatred of JA and totally unbalanced view beggars belief.

No hatred what so ever. 

we had lost 6 games in a row you no. The manager Dosent get praise for that! 

Very surprised you haven’t been filling the forum up in regards to pope yesterday...

How is it unbalanced?

Askey and the players proved me wrong on Saturday. I thought Askey should have gone because I didn’t believe he could change things. 

That win was a radical change, which shows he is capable of doing something right. 

I don’t think that was just a flash in the pan either. Our tempo was quick, link up play good, kept our shape etc. 

Those were the areas that needed addressing and we saw back in the early Askey era, early matches looked dire, but once the team clicked to his changes, that was it. It was a different side. 

I hope and believe that is what we saw on Saturday. 

59 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Askey and the players proved me wrong on Saturday. I thought Askey should have gone because I didn’t believe he could change things. 

That win was a radical change, which shows he is capable of doing something right. 

I don’t think that was just a flash in the pan either. Our tempo was quick, link up play good, kept our shape etc. 

Those were the areas that needed addressing and we saw back in the early Askey era, early matches looked dire, but once the team clicked to his changes, that was it. It was a different side. 

I hope and believe that is what we saw on Saturday. 

I don’t agree it was a radical change. It’s how we have performed against sides that attack us. He has always set up really well against these sides hence why we usually do well against them. a brilliant win still but one that askey is very good at doing. 

the issue is the games against sides that sit in and do what we did to Bolton to us. Not sure about keeping shape either, we did concede 3 goals. 

Saturday will be a bigger test imo. A side likely to sit in and let us have the ball, this is where the issues have been. Still saturdays result was much better than I was expecting. Even though traditionally we have done well in games such as this under askey I wasn’t hopefully of points given our form and performances so delighted to be proven wrong saturday (especially when the 11 was announced)

I don’t agree it was a radical change. It’s how we have performed against sides that attack us. He has always set up really well against these sides hence why we usually do well against them. a brilliant win still but one that askey is very good at doing. 

the issue is the games against sides that sit in and do what we did to Bolton to us. Not sure about keeping shape either, we did concede 3 goals. 

Saturday will be a bigger test imo. A side likely to sit in and let us have the ball, this is where the issues have been. Still saturdays result was much better than I was expecting. Even though traditionally we have done well in games such as this under askey I wasn’t hopefully of points given our form and performances so delighted to be proven wrong saturday (especially when the 11 was announced)

No one has beaten us 6-3 , we have only lost by 1 and been unlucky in most. Other then perhaps the Stevenage game that was an absolutely awful performance. That aside , men being sent off and late goals were the difference between what should have been a win and a couple of draws.

Been in this league for a few years yes .. not with Askey. 2 straight wins and still banging the drum. A new manager would still have the same group of players to work with. What difference they would bring half way through a season I’m unsure. Does all appear to me a personal issue you have with the man.

1 hour ago, dazzerjames said:

No one has beaten us 6-3 , we have only lost by 1 and been unlucky in most. Other then perhaps the Stevenage game that was an absolutely awful performance. That aside , men being sent off and late goals were the difference between what should have been a win and a couple of draws.

They haven’t and your right we have only lost by the odd goal. However the issues are still the same. Against sides who sit in and that we couldn’t breakdown, they then counter and leave with a 1-0 win. Stevenage game was diabolical and the worse I’ve seen for years. I get your point however I’d still say we managed the games horribly. Leaving it far too late to make changes in the games where we had red cards, not making attacking changes in games we were losing 1-0 / struggling to break sides down. 

this is the area askey has to improve, it was the same last season. We do well against sides who attack us (very well) but really struggle if they sit in and ask us to attack them. 

23 minutes ago, wotsyobeef said:

There seems to be a common mindset that Askey's teams can't break teams down that sit back and play on the counter.

So I assume that when Macclesfield won the national league every team that they played must have gone all out attack.

Well the can’t can they? It’s exactly what we haven’t been able to do since he’s been here. Been very good when teams attack us but very poor when we need to break them down. 

no idea re Macclesfield as I don’t follow them but they were in a completely different division. I’m sure macc fans have actually said that this is an issue of askeys anyway 

They haven’t and your right we have only lost by the odd goal. However the issues are still the same. Against sides who sit in and that we couldn’t breakdown, they then counter and leave with a 1-0 win. Stevenage game was diabolical and the worse I’ve seen for years. I get your point however I’d still say we managed the games horribly. Leaving it far too late to make changes in the games where we had red cards, not making attacking changes in games we were losing 1-0 / struggling to break sides down. 

this is the area askey has to improve, it was the same last season. We do well against sides who attack us (very well) but really struggle if they sit in and ask us to attack them. 

It’s certainly been frustrating against the so called poor teams. Strange old league this year . Let’s see where we are come Christmas. Hopefully looking down the league. Was it last season we stayed in 8th for months !? Sometimes not a bad place to be . Less pressure and they put a run together like we did last year.

I think when / if fans are allowed back in we might see an improvement in the home form as well.

I think Askey is steady when it comes to trying to get the best out of players as a 'Head Coach'.

But as a 'manager' that signs his own players, his recruitment has been very poor and that worries me.

As myself and others have mentioned, Brown (35), Pope (35), Joyce (34) and Legge (35) are still key figures and will need replacing soon.

We can't have another summer of Ryan Lloyd/Callum Evans/Kieran Kennedy type signings or we will regress terribly.

7 minutes ago, dazzerjames said:

It’s certainly been frustrating against the so called poor teams. Strange old league this year . Let’s see where we are come Christmas. Hopefully looking down the league. Was it last season we stayed in 8th for months !? Sometimes not a bad place to be . Less pressure and they put a run together like we did last year.

I think when / if fans are allowed back in we might see an improvement in the home form as well.

Let’s hope so! 

Archived