onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

John Askey

Powerline

3 hours ago, dishydave said:

At what point have we looked any better on the rare occasions we've played two up top because I'm struggling to remember Creativity in midfield and out wide is our problem no one is getting to the byline and putting balls in between the keeper and defender apart from Amoo who even if he's not injured only really plays well half the time theo,Cullen and pope have all consistently scored goals at this level so they have either all forgotten how to score or they aren't getting any service

Totally agree. We all "felt" pre season that we had a good midfield with options that could see us progress. However, so far this campaign our midfield have been lacking massively. You could make a case out against Joyce, Oyeleke, Worrall, Conlon and Burgess that we wanted them to step up a gear but ALL have not. At times we have looked seriously poor in the middle of the park, thus allowing opponents to control games and we have insufficient nous and ability to push forward enough to properly challenge for promotion. In addition our back 4 have not been protected enough either.

I would hope that from now on Askey is able to get the reaction required for our squad to compete sufficiently in midfield to help the defence and strikers out but my gut says that even if we improve  a great deal are we good enough for Division 1 with the current players? 

Whoever manages our Team now honestly has to look ahead and see that a fair few competent and able players are added to the squad.

Advert

I think we are still a couple of players short especially ones with some steel of fire or whatever you want to call it. When Joyce was sent off against Tranmere I knew instantly we would lose. We really lack some mental strength,the problem here is that type of player can be a bit difficult for a manager to handle.

Our defending more so than our attacking has been the downfall of the many defeats we have this season (10 including league and FA cup ).

I watched our neighbours last night (only because was hoping there defence would do what ours do and lose the plot and because one of my favourites was the opposition manager ,a poor game but very few clear cut chances with the away team edging it although the lad at the end should have equalised ) and they defended how you should defend with a solid line .

We do not we have players running all over the shop and getting the wrong side of players too often for my liking so we are always liable to concede soft goals which generally they are .

Going forwards at times we are really good but we do not finish well enough ,more often than not Cullen plays and his replaced like for like by Pope Rodney or Robinson etc instead of bringing off another and saying right goals are scored in the opposition box you two up front Robinson and Cullen ,Pope and Cullen ,Rodney and Pope I do not really care which two find the most effective duo and go for it  .

But you got no chance if on recent showings at home where we have lost too really poor defensive and midfield mistakes galore where the players chosen have not showed the relevant qualities win any game ,lately the last time I've watched on ifollow and thought we deserved win was Oldham away the Cheltenham home  game we lived a charmed life first half and only improved second half .

We have to improve our team defensively first and foremost even though prior to the last 6 games of utter terrible results we had on the results section a very good one with clean sheets aplenty  it didnt tell the story that Scott Brown was bailing us out time and time again now his outstanding performance levels of gone and every effort of the opposition nearly becomes  a goal we have to in my opinion improve defensively ten fold if not this run continues and instead of support for this manager there will be anger directed towards him .

Some of our players are stealing a wage they need to be weeded out and hopefully in the near future they can ply there trade elsewhere as you only have to watch Stoke to realise what a limited bunch of players can achieve with good organisation yet months ago the same players were not good at all I believe .

We have gone the opposite way our players who played and won 3-0 v Colchester (end of last season ),have not carried on with the baton they have in my opinion have short changed the manager and our incredible support this far this season and the buck stops with the manager .

It seems to me too many players have it too comfortable and there isn't the will to win to see the job through ,I say this because how many times do we concede soft goals after the 80th minute ,too many sort it out Askey or get your p45 .

in there and 

I'd just like to point out that vale put something out yesterday about worrall creating the most chances 17 and providing the most assists 6 in league 2 so you can also say we arnt taking chances when we do create them. One thing I will say about worrall is he needs to score a few more 2 or 3 goals a season isn't enough need more like 7 a season from him.

26 minutes ago, Andy Proctor said:

I'd just like to point out that vale put something out yesterday about worrall creating the most chances 17 and providing the most assists 6 in league 2 so you can also say we arnt taking chances when we do create them. One thing I will say about worrall is he needs to score a few more 2 or 3 goals a season isn't enough need more like 7 a season from him.

To be fair Andy I think Wozza has been one of our few bright spots during the terrible run after he had struggled during the first 4-5 games to find his form. 

Its an interesting stat but I would be interested to know of 17 chances created this season how many of them where half cut rather than clear chances. I just can't recall us creating many clear cut chances bar the Oldham game.

On 02/12/2020 at 22:18, Biddulph_PV said:

Another manager afraid to make a substitution, OGS, has seen Utd’s Champions League hopes go up in smoke tonight having decided NOT to sub Fred (yes, THE worst player in the EPL Fred) who got an early yellow and had several close escapes before HT before eventually getting sent off (harshly as it turns out) early in the 2nd half arguably costing them the game vs PSG.

Couldn’t help but conjure up those nightmares of Newport where Askey did likewise. When it is so easy (particularly in Europe) to get a yellow card these days, I think managers failing to act on things like this should come in for criticism at it shows complete tactical naivety.

If memory serves me correct Adams was spot on at this and made early changes a couple of times when people were treading a fine line (Shrewsbury Away seems to stick out).

Also, Joe Davis v crwho, famously.  Did he used to do subs at half time also?

11 hours ago, onestepatatime said:

Totally agree. We all "felt" pre season that we had a good midfield with options that could see us progress. However, so far this campaign our midfield have been lacking massively. You could make a case out against Joyce, Oyeleke, Worrall, Conlon and Burgess that we wanted them to step up a gear but ALL have not. At times we have looked seriously poor in the middle of the park, thus allowing opponents to control games and we have insufficient nous and ability to push forward enough to properly challenge for promotion. In addition our back 4 have not been protected enough either.

I would hope that from now on Askey is able to get the reaction required for our squad to compete sufficiently in midfield to help the defence and strikers out but my gut says that even if we improve  a great deal are we good enough for Division 1 with the current players? 

Whoever manages our Team now honestly has to look ahead and see that a fair few competent and able players are added to the squad.

But, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, isn't our squad full, 

So whoever is the manager has to work with these players, unless he can persuade the player to leave and someone to take them. Maybe Clark as a loaned player, if Gibbo is fit?

10 hours ago, Loggerheads Sage said:

But, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, isn't our squad full, 

So whoever is the manager has to work with these players, unless he can persuade the player to leave and someone to take them. Maybe Clark as a loaned player, if Gibbo is fit?

Hi mate. you are not wrong. the squad numbers appear to be full now but what I'm saying is that this squad isn't good enough for Division 1 so any manager will need obviously to wheel and deal somehow. I realise that's not easy but come on we need to replace a number of players if we are seriously wanting to improve and move forward.

On 03/12/2020 at 17:35, Andy Proctor said:

This is part of the current dilema, someone, whoever's playing up top, has to take some of the chances that Wozz creates.  He's not in the team because of his goal scoring ability but he creates a lot of chances.  Fair to say his set piece delivery has been below par recently, non the less, in the last few games at least, some of his crossing has been great.

Never fancy him to score in a one v one somehow.

On 01/12/2020 at 01:16, Norfolk Enclue said:

Ay up Guitar Ray 😎. Agree with everything you said. I'm scratching my head too, though please don't look to me for answers as to our alarming form. I'm in a complete fog about it, fumbling around for reasons. I'm bewildered.  Perhaps having a full week off before the Bolton game might give everyone at Vale a chance to draw breath. If you were to offer me 1 point in Lancashire on Saturday, I'd bite your hand off. Not a handbrake turn granted, but just feathering the brakes a bit. UTV

I'm hoping that a clear week will make a difference.

Bolton have a proven goal scorer in Doyle so we need to "feather the brakes a bit" in his case.  Maybe Smith can do that, as he did when we played Swindon at home last season.

36 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

I'm hoping that a clear week will make a difference.

Bolton have a proven goal scorer in Doyle so we need to "feather the brakes a bit" in his case.  Maybe Smith can do that, as he did when we played Swindon at home last season.

Yes, hopefully Smudger can do a job on Doyle. The clear week did make a difference, best Tuesday night kip I've had in ages.

On 03/12/2020 at 17:35, Andy Proctor said:

We have created a lot of chances in games bar the odd one despite what some say and also despite the slating of Theo,Cullen has been one of the biggest culprits imo,having said that it hasnt helped any of the strikers when you arent given a run and are swapped every game or so,that has to affect a players confidence

1 hour ago, werstayinup said:

We have created a lot of chances in games bar the odd one despite what some say and also despite the slating of Theo,Cullen has been one of the biggest culprits imo,having said that it hasnt helped any of the strikers when you arent given a run and are swapped every game or so,that has to affect a players confidence

I think there have been many games this season where we have created literally nothing. The strikers have been beyond poor in front of goal but there have been many games we have created nothing. 

Archived