onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

John Askey

Powerline

Advert

2 hours ago, CAVALIER said:

Askey has signed 21 players of which only one when fit, Amoo, is usually on the team sheet. A couple more, Cullen/Rodney are bench/team occasionally. So basically 10 “regulars” were inherited. Doesn’t make good reading. 

Were not those"10 regulars" the ones who got us to one place of the play-offs when the season ended 2020?

Also we were going for the 5th consecutive win, now we've been 5 consecutive losses, and the pivotal game was Kings Lynn, so could Askey have upset the team with his post match chat, and they are now repaying him...

I will say, having a week off is a blessing at the minute. It's been hammer blow after hammer blow, every 3 days.

Maybe a week of training and the fans being allowed to relax a tad will sort things out. 

Any word on Amoo's injury? I imagine at this stage he's looking at surgery in the manner Manny did.

1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Which is why John was trying to sign him of course.

I thought it was Maynard we hung out for in the close season, not Vaughan, who I thought was a Bradford City player on loan at Tranmere last season and then obviously he signed a contract with Tranmere in the summer.

19 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I will say, having a week off is a blessing at the minute. It's been hammer blow after hammer blow, every 3 days.

Maybe a week of training and the fans being allowed to relax a tad will sort things out. 

Any word on Amoo's injury? I imagine at this stage he's looking at surgery in the manner Manny did.

Completely agree Joe. Personally relieved to have this Tuesday night off. I earlier alluded to what you suggest in this post regarding a full week off. It has felt like "hammer blow after hammer blow" with poor John well and truly on the ropes, unable to get to his corner for a breather. I hope, like you that a week of training away from a competitive game will help "sort things out". I'm doing my best to stay hopeful and try to look out for posts by Werstayinup who is positivity personified. UTV

JAs plan A, when it works, is decent. High press 433 is ok to watch.

It's his complete lack of a plan B, never mind C and D, and his inability to see tactical issues when opposition managers make subs and failure to respond with effective substitutions of his own, which are costing us time and again in the last 10 minutes of matches. 

It's also so frustrating to see the likes of Cullen and Rodney squander chance after chance when Popey sits on the bench. He is a proven goalscorer and should be the first name on the team sheet. A front three (given JA insists on it) with Pope partnered by any combination of Rodney, Cullen, Monty, Amoo or Robinson would give opposition defences plenty to worry about. 

Conlon, Woz and Joyce as the middle three would be creative. 

Let's hope November was just a blip! 

If John is reading this then Sting would like to let him know that the situation at the moment is being closely monitored. That is all Sting will say on this subject at the moment but Port Valers can certainly be assured that Sting is here and watching closely.

Every single day, and every word you say, every game you play, every night you stay, Sting is watching you.

19 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I have a touch of double think here, as you and @rayzermake two very good yet totally opposite arguments both of which could well be true.

If I was a betting man I’d say Carol would err on the side of caution, if for no other reason than I think our current form has kiboshed any hopes of automatic promotion and probably the play-offs.

We are far too predictable and leaky and more likely to lose than get a result at the moment, whereas last year it felt we were more likely to win than drop points.

That said, I think if we were to lose another 4 games between now and January, she might have to make a decision. I do know that relegation is not in the business plan.

I can’t really slate the transfer business as I thought the continuity would be a good thing. Plus the market was a bit weird this summer, but I sensed we were trying to be a bit clever, hoping there would be a deluge of quality players all scrambling for contracts allowing us to pick up a bargain at the last minute, yet we ended up with McKirdy (who may yet come good) and Robinson. Was this because of internal or external budget constraints (or both)?

I did state that I wasn’t bothered whether Smith stayed or went, and my concern was around whether we’d blown a lot of our budget retaining him that would have been better spent on a striker or attacking midfielder. I thought Rodney would be a hit and likewise Robinson as he - like Calvin Andrew - seemed to flourish after leaving Vale under different managers, which I thought might be the result of the sterile stuff we were playing at the time. Well so far I’ve be totally wrong on the latter - Robinson has not looked interested in the slightest - and am still to be convinced on the former.

It’s all a tad confusing at the moment and the summer optimism seems a distant memory with it all seeming very quiet at the club.

Totally confusing!

For the record, I thought we'd finish 5th with the squad we have. I still think the team is capable of challenging for the playoff spots. However the two spots that concerned me over the summer and still do are the centre-back and striker roles. I don't really get the strategy with those two, given that our best options for both are 35 years old, and the player that holds it all together in goal and central midfield are also in their mid-thirties. I get that Askey thought Cullen or Robinson would step up, but in hindsight neither of them seem suited to the way we play. Would it have been better to find a new Pope than try something different? We should be able to change style or play, but we haven't really so far. All a bit worrying.

As for Askey, I think making a move in January will be too late to make an impact on this season. I don't think it's too late to turn it around at this point, but it would require acting quickly. You're probably talking about making a move after the Colchester game (at the latest) in order to try and save this season if Carol doesn't think Askey can turn it around, and you need to have a name in mind to bring in. It has to be said, that whilst Carol obviously seems to like John Askey, she didn't hire him. There's something to be said for that, she has no ties to him. I remember her saying she got pretty frustrated with the football and results under Aspin. So in many aspects, she feels like us (Hopefully more rationally than some!). I just don't see him having much longer, he's not achieving what he was expected to.

1 hour ago, blackdog said:

I thought it was Maynard we hung out for in the close season, not Vaughan, who I thought was a Bradford City player on loan at Tranmere last season and then obviously he signed a contract with Tranmere in the summer.

Fair point, I should pay more attention. What happened to Maynard anyway?

Good evening fellow Valiants,

Leaving Mr Askey in his position until January would be too late, and we would be condemned to a season of misery. A season that would be on par with a meal I once had in the Charnock Richard Service Station back in 2004.

One won't go into the full details, however, I still can't bring myself to eat a Lasagne to this day.

To sort our current issues out down in Burslem Town, Mrs Shanahan needs go down to Mr Askey's office, bang on the door and shout "Hey Jonny, YOU'RE FIRED!"

All the very best,

Jeff.

25 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Fair point, I should pay more attention. What happened to Maynard anyway?

No problem ......A friend who does know, said a deal was close and the Vale were prepared to push the boat out and at the very last minute Mansfield came in with an unbelievable eye watering offer that blew us out of the water, with all sort of bonus' 

6 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Did anyone see James Vaughan play for Tranmere against Brackley? We spent a lot of time chasing him in preseason but he looked totally disinterested against them. John Askey is no doubt aware that we need a proven goalscorer, but so is every other manager in the league. 

Vaughany was perhaps saving himself until tonight?🤔

Archived