onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

John Askey

Powerline

2 hours ago, Norfolk Enclue said:

I was, still am really, an Askey "in" Vale fan, although after the Stevenage game in particular, I've drifted from outright support to an indifferent one. I think that John has the 4 league games to Christmas to improve matters. If performances fall further or flatline with no improvement evident, and subsequently results follow suit then he'll be gone by Walsall. Possibly Colchester if things really do fall off a cliff

Norfolk Enclue ,you will draw the line at 8 or 9 league defeats on the trot?

Out of interest hypothetically what would you think if we lost to Bolton, did well in the Pizza trophy then drew or lost v Colchester? Enough signs of recovery to get another go against Walsall?

Advert

2 hours ago, rayzer said:

It might not be palatable at the moment but I am sure many fans will agree with my reasoning even if I am not happy with the way we are going at the moment.

Very fair valid points and could be a factor.

I hope the club have a different logic though. There should be a sense of urgency to go up this season due to the ageing squad and capitalise on the feel good factor of the club. Playing in L1 with crowds next year would substantially increase revenue streams and fans interest.

If we do nothing and finish mid table then it will be a really big rebuild job in L2 in the summer.

9 minutes ago, MBE said:

Norfolk Enclue you will draw the line at 8 or 9 league defeats on the trot.

Out of interest hypothetically what would you think if we lost to Bolton, did well in the Pizza trophy then drew or lost v Colchester? Enough signs of recovery to get another go against Walsall?

I'm an admirer of Askey and desperately want results to improve, but of course, unless we're relying on luck completely, performances need to improve. It's more the performances that I'm looking for an upturn. If we play well against Bolton and Colchester but lose then I think John should be given til Walsall, but I don't think he'll continue as Manager if we lose to FGR and Walsall no matter how the team gets on. I hope that John turns it around. I just fear that it's getting tight.

55 minutes ago, stupers said:

Ray, I disagree with your thought that Carol won't do anything. I've seen you mention the cost of getting rid of the staff as a key factor. It shouldn't be. I would imagine the staff have the same pay-off agreement as Askey does. If we were really and truly sure that this was to be a promotion season (Or at least a very decent effort at it), then this shouldn't be a factor. 'Writing' this season off would actually, be a medium/long-term nightmare for us in my opinion. This is the last season that a club could effectively overspend the salary cap (All players signed before the cap was agreed are charged to the cap at approximately 70-75k or less) and still fall in line. In future when we sign someone, their full salary will count. We were one of those clubs that signed players before the cap came in to take advantage along with some other ambitious clubs. So there was obviously a thought that we should be competing at the top end of the league. Having spoken to Carol as part of the podcast, my opinion was that promotion was the expectation before we started. I don't think it will be ok that we don't make it this year in Carol's expectations, and I would expect that if she thinks she can right the ship she will do what is necessary. Whether that is sacking the manager or not, I don't know. But I think she'll take the best approach to make Port Vale successful, if we have to pay some get rid of some people and it costs some money, I think the costs will be acceptable if it means we can be successful.

I do concur that the recruitment in the summer was poor. We signed more 'competition' and depth than we did outright starters. The striking situation in particular is absurd when you think about it. Pope/Cullen/Robinson/Rodney. 4 strikers for one starting role! I know Rodney is a developing player, but we didn't need two extra backups when there was virtually no chance of a long-term move to playing 2 strikers. I didn't like that we thought we had the replacement to Legge on the books either. I thought at Legge's age, this was the perfect time to move him to playing 25-30 games a season. Are Brisley/Crookes good enough to get us up? I don't think either of us have shown that. McKirdy's signing also was weird to me. He didn't seem a fit at all with our mentality. 

Who knows what will happen next. What I do know is that the people in charge shouldn't be afraid to make decisions in the short-term if they benefit the club in the long-term. If it is truly a cost issue, then I would be disappointed as I believed we were more financially secure than that.

I have a touch of double think here, as you and @rayzermake two very good yet totally opposite arguments both of which could well be true.

If I was a betting man I’d say Carol would err on the side of caution, if for no other reason than I think our current form has kiboshed any hopes of automatic promotion and probably the play-offs.

We are far too predictable and leaky and more likely to lose than get a result at the moment, whereas last year it felt we were more likely to win than drop points.

That said, I think if we were to lose another 4 games between now and January, she might have to make a decision. I do know that relegation is not in the business plan.

I can’t really slate the transfer business as I thought the continuity would be a good thing. Plus the market was a bit weird this summer, but I sensed we were trying to be a bit clever, hoping there would be a deluge of quality players all scrambling for contracts allowing us to pick up a bargain at the last minute, yet we ended up with McKirdy (who may yet come good) and Robinson. Was this because of internal or external budget constraints (or both)?

I did state that I wasn’t bothered whether Smith stayed or went, and my concern was around whether we’d blown a lot of our budget retaining him that would have been better spent on a striker or attacking midfielder. I thought Rodney would be a hit and likewise Robinson as he - like Calvin Andrew - seemed to flourish after leaving Vale under different managers, which I thought might be the result of the sterile stuff we were playing at the time. Well so far I’ve be totally wrong on the latter - Robinson has not looked interested in the slightest - and am still to be convinced on the former.

It’s all a tad confusing at the moment and the summer optimism seems a distant memory with it all seeming very quiet at the club.

59 minutes ago, Birches Head Fred said:

Cheers for that Jeff  and no, I don't mind you referring to me as Fred - I've been referred to as much worse.

I'm not into stats too much myself but 38.6% sounds pretty reasonable to me, however it's only my opinion.

Regards

Fred

Good evening again Fred,

You seem a very respectable chap and therefore one fully respects one's views.

In regards to John Colin Askey whilst speaking stats and facts, Mr Askey has now lost 53.33% of his league fixtures whilst managing Port Vale throughout the current campaign, in what was touted to be a season of glory.

In one's opinion keeping Mr Askey in his position would not bring glory to the streets of Burslem, but leave the the area as subdued as I imagine Mr Askey sounds after he's been told some really good news.

All the very best Fred,

Jeff. 

4 hours ago, Joe B said:

Yes, as I felt you were being sanctimonious and patronising by accusing Vale fans of being short-termist 'win means good loss means bad' judges.

I mean, if you wish to label the blog I never promote/share and use as a side-hobby for about 5 readers as 'patronising and sanctimonious', then that's fine, but I think we both know it's a wide of the mark effort.

I appreciate the sentiment but, as I said, I'm not trying to grow; it's just a bin for me to lob long articles out on instead of clogging up OVF.

The mischievous side of me wants to post, "Let it go now Joe.  You'll feel much better."  But that would be both sanctimonious and patronising, so I won't. 🤐

1 hour ago, Norfolk Enclue said:

I'm an admirer of Askey and desperately want results to improve, but of course, unless we're relying on luck completely, performances need to improve. It's more the performances that I'm looking for an upturn. If we play well against Bolton and Colchester but lose then I think John should be given til Walsall, but I don't think he'll continue as Manager if we lose to FGR and Walsall no matter how the team gets on. I hope that John turns it around. I just fear that it's getting tight.

There have been some dire performances that's for sure.  I'm still scratching my head over some of the individual performances from the players this season.  2 or 3 below par, OK,  but any more than that and we can't cope.  The fixtures look tough so JA and crew really have their work cut out if we aren't to be left behind and we/they can't really afford any blips let alone a continuation of the current rut.

Stupors, I know that Carol said she expected a top seven finish but I still maintain that if we were to sack Askey a new manager will have to get the same players to play a different tune and get us in to them play off places. I agree that neither Brisley or Crookes are players for the first choice eleven, but neither are any of his new signings including Rodney who reminds me of Uche Ikpeazu and I am not sure that we will be able to make him into a polished diamond.  We have four players we need to replace next season on age alone which are Legge Pope Joyce and even Brown. I honestly think that this season has seen a very noticeable slow down in what little pace they had.  We also have players who are too injury prone to be able to count on for every match which is also contributes to too many changes so we are not able to get any stability. All these are factors that even if we were to sack Askey any manager who was interested in the job would also know about our squad ineffiences which might put a decent manager off. So even more reasons why I think we stay with the status quo until May and then make the change to allow a new manager the whole of the end of season window to do a squad over haul.

1 hour ago, Guitar Ray said:

There have been some dire performances that's for sure.  I'm still scratching my head over some of the individual performances from the players this season.  2 or 3 below par, OK,  but any more than that and we can't cope.  The fixtures look tough so JA and crew really have their work cut out if we aren't to be left behind and we/they can't really afford any blips let alone a continuation of the current rut.

Ay up Guitar Ray 😎. Agree with everything you said. I'm scratching my head too, though please don't look to me for answers as to our alarming form. I'm in a complete fog about it, fumbling around for reasons. I'm bewildered.  Perhaps having a full week off before the Bolton game might give everyone at Vale a chance to draw breath. If you were to offer me 1 point in Lancashire on Saturday, I'd bite your hand off. Not a handbrake turn granted, but just feathering the brakes a bit. UTV

28 minutes ago, CAVALIER said:

Askey has signed 21 players of which only one when fit, Amoo, is usually on the team sheet. A couple more, Cullen/Rodney are bench/team occasionally. So basically 10 “regulars” were inherited. Doesn’t make good reading. 

Where is the scouting system? Don`t they tend to be permanent whereas managers come and go.

1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Did anyone see James Vaughan play for Tranmere against Brackley? We spent a lot of time chasing him in preseason but he looked totally disinterested against them. John Askey is no doubt aware that we need a proven goalscorer, but so is every other manager in the league. 

Is that the same James Vaughan that has scored 7 in 11 League games this season?! Wouldn't mind our strikers looking 'disinterested' if they had that scoring record!

Archived