onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

John Askey

Powerline

4 hours ago, Joe B said:

Ah, so there isn't a long term issue of John Askey's Port Vale conceding late goals? I must have been imagining Salford, Scunthorpe, Mansfield, Orient, Macclesfield, Tranmere, Kings Lynn, Newport, and yesterday then!

Clearly not an inherent issue that has existed for over 12 months without a sign of being rectified, despite it occurring at a much higher rate than any other side at this level.

I was saying much earlier in the season that we weren't playing quite as well as many thought and we needed to improve before things turned sour. We were being bailed out by a good keeper who was performing at a level he would, in about 10 games time, stop performing at, as League 2 goalkeepers simply can't sustain the level Brown was at for an entire season.

Was told to shut up as we were winning/drawing games and were in the top 7, so therefore I must be wrong. The League Table never lies. I wasn't satisfied as I thought we looked toothless against Harrogate, and thought Morecambe was a clear sign we were sub-par, but alas, we'd nicked a win against Cheltenham and Exeter, and you can't have concerns about a performance if you win games, so once again I was told to keep schtum.

In the summer I called for the signing of a number 10, as I felt we lacked creativity through the middle last season and were awfully reliant on Dave Worrall for open-play creativity. I felt, and I know he didn't play after January, that Jake Taylor's goals were fundamental to a side who lacked an open play goal threat pre-Christmas (sound familiar?), and different players would need to step up at different times of the season, due to the inconsistencies of League 2 players. 

I also wrote an article on my blog months ago calling for a restructuring of our recruitment system as it is clearly inadequate. 

So, Guitar Ray, I have been pointing out these 'endemic, inherent issues' for a long time. What we're seeing now is those issues biting us in the backside.

You seem to be in the mindset that Vale fans criticising things are only doing so because of results and they're impatient/fickle, and not because some of the issues they've been pointing out for a while are rearing their head. If that is the case, it's a very patronising and sanctimonious view to suppose you can see the real long-term pictures, and the average fan is taken in the wind by the result, unable to see the performances as they are blinded by the Wins and Losses column.

Hope you didn’t take my comments personally Joe.  I think you’re somewhat preaching to the converted regarding the recruitment, however, in general, “average fans”, myself included, whilst identifying the issues, were happy to accept them last season based on our league position, which was, you’ll agree, unexpectedly high.  We ARE actually somewhat blinded by the Wins and Losses column.  Disagree if you like but there would be no mention of Askeys position if we were sitting in third place in the table but playing poorly.  Fact.

Over the closed season, we all had our ideas about recruitment and a fair few negative comments were made, but we entered the season with great expectations from the vast majority of the fan base.  We beat a fancied Exeter and were “world beaters”.  You clearly still had grave misgivings, and posted these on your blog, which I must admit to never reading.

Hopefully I’ve clarified my “mindset” above.  I think we’re all a bit more impatient this year as our expectations were much higher than in recent seasons. I can’t claim to see into the future hence my cautious approach to changing the manager right now.

I would add that someone who has such a high regard of their opinions that they blog the stuff is the last person to be throwing the words “patronising” and “sanctimonious” at the members of an open forum.  Good luck with your blog all the same.

Advert

1 hour ago, Guitar Ray said:

Hope you didn’t take my comments personally Joe.  I think you’re somewhat preaching to the converted regarding the recruitment, however, in general, “average fans”, myself included, whilst identifying the issues, were happy to accept them last season based on our league position, which was, you’ll agree, unexpectedly high.  We ARE actually somewhat blinded by the Wins and Losses column.  Disagree if you like but there would be no mention of Askeys position if we were sitting in third place in the table but playing poorly.  Fact.

Over the closed season, we all had our ideas about recruitment and a fair few negative comments were made, but we entered the season with great expectations from the vast majority of the fan base.  We beat a fancied Exeter and were “world beaters”.  You clearly still had grave misgivings, and posted these on your blog, which I must admit to never reading.

Hopefully I’ve clarified my “mindset” above.  I think we’re all a bit more impatient this year as our expectations were much higher than in recent seasons. I can’t claim to see into the future hence my cautious approach to changing the manager right now.

I would add that someone who has such a high regard of their opinions that they blog the stuff is the last person to be throwing the words “patronising” and “sanctimonious” at the members of an open forum.  Good luck with your blog all the same.

So sharing your opinions on a blog is patronising and sanctimonious? And not just a nice side-hobby to have? I have no real view on how great my opinions on, it's just something I genuinely enjoy to do in my spare time.

I like to write. It's a hobby. I write about Port Vale, as social media restricts characters and no-one on here wants to read several thousand words of my drivel on every thread, so I put it on a website in case anyone's daft enough to read. I've only ever once posted a link to it on here, and I don't advertise it, so it's hardly an ego trip of preaching my excellent opinions to the masses. I post one link per article on my twitter and am grateful if one Vale fan finds the time to skim-read it. The fact I don't mention it, and post separately on here, should be evidence that it's no 'listen to me, oh feeble masses'.

But sound mate, thanks for your input. Sound very well-adjusted. I'll shut it down, lest I get too big of a head when 6 people read my next piece.

2 hours ago, Joe B said:

Cheers mate!

Am well aware I clog these forums up with reams and reams of rubbish when a couple of sentences would suffice but I get carried away!

Thoroughly enjoy reading your blog Joe, keep up the good work, interesting and sometimes illuminating work.

I wouldn't know a blog from a frog, but I really enjoy reading everyone's thoughts here. I've only been a member of OVF for a month, but feel privileged to be in the company of Greats whose words I've been reading for ages. Of course, we'll agree and disagree with each other in similar measure, that makes it all the more interesting. I've certainly had my mind opened up to theories and ideas I might not have considered otherwise. At the end of the day we're Vale. Keep on Joe B, keep on Guitar Ray.

4 minutes ago, raywalkersbananakick said:

Just saying.... Having won just one game in their last five, Sunderland have announced that they have parted company with Phil Parkinson, with the club in 8th place in League One... emoji837.pngemoji836.png

Kind of nonsense authoritarian manager we need to move forward and get out of this bloody division.

3 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:Disagree if you like but there would be no mention of Askeys position if we were sitting in third place in the table but playing poorly. Fact.

And as the saying goes if your aunt had a meat and two veg she would be your uncle.

We were playing “ok” but no more before this run but heavily reliant on Brown. We are now playing poorly and Brown is unable to continually bail us out.

We are averaging around 3 shots on target a game across 15 games despite playing 30% plus of our games in the oppositions final third. We’ve conceded a third of our goals against in the last 15 mins of games (having cost ourselves a playoff spot with similar issues last year). We’ve scored 9 goals from open play in 15 games. We’ve lost as many league games in those 15 as we did in 37 last season. We lost to a part time non-league side in the cup. Those are the cold hard facts. And the buck for them starts and ends with the manager.

The signs of this run have been there for a while. Does anyone really fancy us to turn the tide at a Bolton side who sit top of the form table next week?

33 minutes ago, raywalkersbananakick said:

Just saying.... Having won just one game in their last five, Sunderland have announced that they have parted company with Phil Parkinson, with the club in 8th place in League One... emoji837.pngemoji836.png

To be perfectly honest, I'm surprised he's lasted this long.  Their fans wanted him out within a month of his appointment!  He had the highest budget in the division by far and couldn't even make the play offs last year.  Sunderland change managers more often that folk change their pants.  That's one of the reasons why they are currently in the worst period of their history.

you know all this talk about the manager and someones previous comment on social media about who would i like to see manage the club took me back to jimmy floyd hasselbaink. hes the sort of manager we need right now. so i checked to see if he was still available. and he is. except something annoyed me on his wikipedia page....its still there and needs altering ...and i quote.....

Shortly afterwards, Port Vale chairman Norman Smurthwaite revealed that he had rejected Hasselbaink for the vacant managerial position at his club in 2014, out of fear that racist elements of their support would abuse him

this needs addressing as its a load of rubbish and unfairly tarnishes our club. all football clubs have a racist minority and yes it should be stamped out. but that makes it sound like the whole fanbase is and would turn against anyone of an ethnic minority based purely on the colour of their skin !

Archived