onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

John Askey

Powerline

Pretty sure Carol is doing her homework on our Mr Askey. She is an astute professional and our Manager will be under immense scrutiny. I believe he has a last gasp opportunity to show he can handle the pressure of league football. The lack of goals and an inability to change his formations could well be his downfall along with the very poor signings and the negative substitution issues he constantly delivers. His general persona comes across as sitting on the fence and doing right by others, i fear he just doesnt have the killer instinct and hence favours certain players as risks dont come into his equation.

Advert

2 hours ago, werstayinup said:

We could also possibly win the next 2 as well which we all hope we do dont we??

Askey wont get those 2 years,i believe the contract would need months paying and not years and personally i think if he loses the next 2 which we dont want then carol will act.

I don't see it happening. At the moment we look like a relegation bound side in the way that the game is as good as over the moment we go a goal down. Maybe I see it differently than others in that I just see a bunch of playing going through the motions and downing tools far too easily, and that stems from the manager. Askey, the same as Aspin, now bores me to tears when he churns out the usual dross after each game.

The fact that he actually said "Hopefully we'll be better on Saturday" is quite embarrassing. 

10 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Rudgie went on a run of  17 league games without a win and 7 points from 51 in 91.  Bell didn't sack him.  So glad he didn't.  I'm not saying Askey is beyond criticism, far from it, but a bit of patience is called for here rather than a kneejerk reaction. 

5 League Two losses on the trot along with an FA Cup exit at the first hurdle is not a knee jerk reaction.

38 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

After 3 wins and a place in the play offs, yes it is.  Would you have sacked Rudgie after that awful run?

Can't keep harping on about something that happened God knows how many years ago, or what Askey did last season. I remember some people were saying the exact same things with Neil Aspin - Give him time... We'll turn the corner... He worked wonders last season... In Aspin we trust... And yet we all know how that ended.

For the sake of Port Vale and our current season - Askey out!

Although Askey signed a three year contract last year he possibly does have clause in it in which there is an agreed settlement in event of him being sacked then the cost of the settlement would have to include all of Askey's back room staff unless we promote within which I doubt many people would be happy with. In the scheme of things and we lose the next two games it would obviously put Carol in a difficult position. Don't forget the club are in a covid situation which has meant we are way down on what the club would have had in income and Carol has an agreement in place to pay Scumthwaite his mortgage and I can't imagine he would give her any leeway on when the payments are due. So all this will also weigh heavily in her thoughts about sacking the manager.

The next thing that needs thinking about is what happens if even with a vaccine we are still restricted in going to games next season then would we still sell 4000 season tickets if Askey was still here and we finish in the bottom half of the table with the football played as poor as we have been watching so far this season with the exception of possibly four halves of football in different games.

I am glad I am not in Carol's shoes.

21 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

Oh you want him sacked?  You should have said.

He won't be anytime soon. Preferably he would lead us to a couple of victories over the next week and make me eat my words, which I would do quite merrily, but then pigs might fly...

As I’ve just mentioned on the Stevenage thread, it will be interesting to see the reaction of the players on Saturday, their attitude, effort etc. They might have lost faith in Askey thus trying to oust him???

If the players are not playing for him, then we may need to look else where?

Hope this isn’t the case and we start to show some fight and quality.

Archived