onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

John Askey

Powerline

This. 100% this.

On 22/11/2020 at 18:38, Paul6754 said:

Taylor provided creativity, got on the end of chances from late arrival in the box and scored goals by shooting from outside the box, all skills Vale are very short of at the moment.

Sadly, we didn't get Taylor back because Forest kept him until the last minute before deciding he could go out on loan again. We wanted him, badly, and tried a few times to get him here but there was little else we could do. We couldn't wait forever and there was no guarantee that he would return here anyway. It was Forest's decision.

But it was fairly obvious to most regular fans in the summer that we needed more goals from midfield. A player like Eagles made a huge difference to us. Bridgy. Dodds in his prime, the year we went up.  These are the type of lads that we miss.

Our midfield is too inconsistent and we simply don't have a box to box goalscorer - a lad who will get in the box and score with a header, or play a one-two with Pope and score from 25 yards. It doesn't happen often, if at all. And one classy player like that can make all the difference, it really can.

I know he was fortunate but Ellison, 41, has had the happy knack of being in the right place at the right time for many years. We haven't anyone like that in our midfield.

Advert

40 minutes ago, TheSage said:

This. 100% this.

Sadly, we didn't get Taylor back because Forest kept him until the last minute before deciding he could go out on loan again. We wanted him, badly, and tried a few times to get him here but there was little else we could do. We couldn't wait forever and there was no guarantee that he would return here anyway. It was Forest's decision.

But it was fairly obvious to most regular fans in the summer that we needed more goals from midfield. A player like Eagles made a huge difference to us. Bridgy. Dodds in his prime, the year we went up.  These are the type of lads that we miss.

Our midfield is too inconsistent and we simply don't have a box to box goalscorer - a lad who will get in the box and score with a header, or play a one-two with Pope and score from 25 yards. It doesn't happen often, if at all. And one classy player like that can make all the difference, it really can.

I know he was fortunate but Ellison, 41, has had the happy knack of being in the right place at the right time for many years. We haven't anyone like that in our midfield.

Thanks Sage, it's pretty much as I suspected and I concur with everything you point out. Against Newport I was hoping for a Manny howitzer a la Lincoln from a couple of seasons back but playing him in the "Joyce role " doesn't give him much opportunity to get in and around the opposition's box.

On 18/11/2020 at 21:43, Jacko51 said:

"Had enough of this now. Whatever he says at half time is always a disaster. Enthusiastic but clueless in terms of tactical awareness."

"Things have got to change.
We deserved something out of the game.
We can't go on like this."

"Post match interview was a complete shambles. Obviously hasn't got a clue what to do next. "

These are just a few samples from the Artell Out thread on the trainspotters forum a couple of years ago.

Spot on,I'd hate to play them now.

Patience is the key.

Keep The Faith.

On 22/11/2020 at 23:42, rayzer said:

John Askey signed a three year deal in May last year so has two years left. I might be wrong but I think Carol will give him until the end of his current contract to achieve promotion and if he doesn't he will be out. Each season most managers will try to improve the team on average with three better players than he had the season before. Askey has not done this which is why I believe we will not make the play offs this year as our first team is not as strong as last season.  My reasoning for this is that our aging players are at the deteriorating stage of their careers, as most players will tend to get slower each year once they turn 30. 

Another reason why I do not think that Carol will pull the trigger on Askey is because we are only allowed to have a squad of 22 players  so if a new manager was brought in he would have to transfer out a current squad player for any new ones he would want. During these covid times I can't see that happening.

In Askey we trust. (not really but we are stuck with him and hope I am wrong)

So let's say we lose the next two games, which could very well happen. League form will then read: Lost. Lost. Lost. Lost. Lost. Lost. Lost. And you're telling everybody we're stuck with Askey until his contract ends in 2 years time?! Jesus. Just when you think 2020 couldn't get any more toxic.

ive seen enough to know askey cant take us further. so one dimensional its untrue. i was right about brown, bruno and although i didnt vent an opinion about aspin......askey is just another in a long line of managers since rob page who are just hoping to sneak wins playing one up top because his recruitment was abysmal. we are going nowhere under this management. fact. over to you happy clappers.

Concerned about the lack of form from normally reliable players, Smith and Legge come to mind, also there seems to be alack of spirit a lack of willingness to go the extra yard, if a couple of the lads are struggling for form then it's up to the others to pull em through and that dont seem to be happening.

39 minutes ago, RayWalkers40yarder said:

ive seen enough to know askey cant take us further. so one dimensional its untrue. i was right about brown, bruno and although i didnt vent an opinion about aspin......askey is just another in a long line of managers since rob page who are just hoping to sneak wins playing one up top because his recruitment was abysmal. we are going nowhere under this management. fact. over to you happy clappers.

If Port Vale FC were given a league position based on the amount of happy clappers around, those that are just happy to exist in League Two, then we'd be certainties for Champions League football every year.

We cannot afford to sack him unfortunately but whatever happened yesterday is not today ,today he is still in a job hopefully preparing the Vale for a real tough game v Leyton Orient but not just preparing them working on getting our players in on there goal time after time .

He is a lucky man still be in a job but if we had 11 men v Tranmere and Newport on do you really think we would have lost them games I thought especially v Newport we were playing pretty well up to the sending off ,v Tranmere so so but if Legges goal which was disallowed which was a perfectly good goal to make it 3 -0 we may have  gone on to thrash them

3 hours ago, TylerB said:

So let's say we lose the next two games, which could very well happen. League form will then read: Lost. Lost. Lost. Lost. Lost. Lost. Lost. And you're telling everybody we're stuck with Askey until his contract ends in 2 years time?! Jesus. Just when you think 2020 couldn't get any more toxic.

We could also possibly win the next 2 as well which we all hope we do dont we??

Askey wont get those 2 years,i believe the contract would need months paying and not years and personally i think if he loses the next 2 which we dont want then carol will act.

1 hour ago, Breadwinner said:

We cannot afford to sack him unfortunately but whatever happened yesterday is not today ,today he is still in a job hopefully preparing the Vale for a real tough game v Leyton Orient but not just preparing them working on getting our players in on there goal time after time .

He is a lucky man still be in a job but if we had 11 men v Tranmere and Newport on do you really think we would have lost them games I thought especially v Newport we were playing pretty well up to the sending off ,v Tranmere so so but if Legges goal which was disallowed which was a perfectly good goal to make it 3 -0 we may have  gone on to thrash them

Thats like saying no club can afford to sack their manager but they are doing.... of course we can afford to sack him

2 hours ago, TylerB said:

If Port Vale FC were given a league position based on the amount of happy clappers around, those that are just happy to exist in League Two, then we'd be certainties for Champions League football every year.

I aren't happy to be in league 2 no way,i want promotion every season otherwise whats the point in supporting a football club.

54 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

We could also possibly win the next 2 as well which we all hope we do dont we??

Askey wont get those 2 years,i believe the contract would need months paying and not years and personally i think if he loses the next 2 which we dont want then carol will act.

That's my understanding too. We don't have to pay out the full amount of his remaining contract.

Rudgie went on a run of  17 league games without a win and 7 points from 51 in 91.  Bell didn't sack him.  So glad he didn't.  I'm not saying Askey is beyond criticism, far from it, but a bit of patience is called for here rather than a kneejerk reaction. 

Archived