onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

John Askey

Powerline

Advert

I don't think yesterday told us a great deal or even reinforced too any arguments about the bigger picture. The Scunthorpe game (and others before) were worse in so much as they showed that what happened with Harrogate and Morecambe wasn't an outlier. It's a pattern and we're stuck in it.

Somebody elsewhere said that Askey had one of the safest jobs in football. That could well be right. You sense that the nature of Synectics as employers means that there isn't a great deal of pressure on anybody at the minute. Whether that translates into the hard nosed results business of professional football is another debate. However, somewhere down the line the owners must have a baseline in terms of their expectations for this season - and a sense of where the tipping point is when things start going wrong.

So, do we hold tight and hope Askey turns it round with a barnstorming run after Christmas? Do we back him in the January window? Do we accept a mid table finish, give it another go next season when the world is hopefully back to normal? Is 8th place an option after all? This is the difficult second album for the Shanahans.

Askey will stay to the end of the season, absolutely no question. There's no point even discussing the option of dismissal.

However, the criteria needs to be clearly set on a 'good season' compared to a 'bad season'. He was backed, he signed a number of players in a financially volatile situation, he extended all of the contracts he wanted to.

Carol said 'we're not doing 8th again', so maybe that will be the line.

7 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Askey will stay to the end of the season, absolutely no question. There's no point even discussing the option of dismissal.

However, the criteria needs to be clearly set on a 'good season' compared to a 'bad season'. He was backed, he signed a number of players in a financially volatile situation, he extended all of the contracts he wanted to.

Carol said 'we're not doing 8th again', so maybe that will be the line.

What makes you say Askey will stay to the end of the season? I dont believe that for a minute,if we start to do well then yes of course he would but if we continue as we are then no he wont,you even said it yourself carol wants and expects at least the play offs this season,dont be fooled by the lovely lady imagine she is still an hardened business woman who has had to hire and fire before.....its true she really likes Askey but he is not untouchable

1 hour ago, Santa said:

I don't think yesterday told us a great deal or even reinforced too any arguments about the bigger picture. The Scunthorpe game (and others before) were worse in so much as they showed that what happened with Harrogate and Morecambe wasn't an outlier. It's a pattern and we're stuck in it.

Somebody elsewhere said that Askey had one of the safest jobs in football. That could well be right. You sense that the nature of Synectics as employers means that there isn't a great deal of pressure on anybody at the minute. Whether that translates into the hard nosed results business of professional football is another debate. However, somewhere down the line the owners must have a baseline in terms of their expectations for this season - and a sense of where the tipping point is when things start going wrong.

So, do we hold tight and hope Askey turns it round with a barnstorming run after Christmas? Do we back him in the January window? Do we accept a mid table finish, give it another go next season when the world is hopefully back to normal? Is 8th place an option after all? This is the difficult second album for the Shanahans.

Santa 

They are business people and have to be ruthless it's not all nicey nicey 

Friends wife works for Synectics, furloughed for months and now made redundant by them . 

If they want to pull the trigger I believe they will

50 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

dont be fooled by the lovely lady imagine she is still an hardened business woman who has had to hire and fire before.....its true she really likes Askey but he is not untouchable

I really hope you are right. I'm not in the Askey out camp yet, however I do think we need to move on if we don't pick up points in the next 2 games AND demonstrate he can mix things up with his approach.

Even the great MA walked after 6 six straight defeats.

23 hours ago, MBE said:

I'm not sure about that. Jake was great early doors last season without doubt but when we where at our best in Jan -Mar I don't recall Jake in the team that often due to his injury.  It think it was more down to a settled team who gained some self belief and stopped conceding late goals. 

You're right MBE I don't think Taylor played after the Man City game due to injury and I also agree a settled team and manager will perform better than an unsettled unit hence JA in for me.

Taylor's 5 Lge goals in 18 Apps from midfield earlier in the season contributed to the points total that almost got Vale in the play-offs and we'll never know if he had played for the rest of the season whether Vale would have made made it, I suspect we would have done easily. There's usually only a small points difference between making the play-offs and finishing midtable.

Taylor provided creativity, got on the end of chances from late arrival in the box and scored goals by shooting from outside the box, all skills Vale are very short of at the moment.

You're right MBE I don't think Taylor played after the Man City game due to injury and I also agree a settled team and manager will perform better than an unsettled unit hence JA in for me.
Taylor's 5 Lge goals in 18 Apps from midfield earlier in the season contributed to the points total that almost got Vale in the play-offs and we'll never know if he had played for the rest of the season whether Vale would have made made it, I suspect we would have done easily. There's usually only a small points difference between making the play-offs and finishing midtable.
Taylor provided creativity, got on the end of chances from late arrival in the box and scored goals by shooting from outside the box, all skills Vale are very short of at the moment.
Maybe sign him in Jan if he fails to make an impact at Scunthorpe. Horses for courses?

I’d give him the next two games. Fail to win either and he’s gone. We’ve then played the bottom 3 sides in Southend Scunthorpe at the time and Stevenage. Have to win Tuesday. 

I know people will go ‘well who do you recommend we replace him with’ nothing to do with us. There’s loads of managers out there! Just look who tranmere have appointed! 

9 hours ago, Joe B said:

Really? I think he's been a pretty decent fullback for a couple of years, and has had spells of being a really good player there. Makes the odd mistake but, for example, saved us yesterday with a goal line block. Last season, between his mistake on Boxing Day and his mistake in mid-March, he was amongst our most consistent performers in that good run we had.

There's a lot of faults with Askey but this is, quite blatantly, not one of them.

Just run the matches back and see how out of position he is you may think he is decent but that is maybe we have not had one since Tankard.

Im sure carol and co discussed with JA the goals, aims and expectations for the new season as like any other football club at the end of the day Port vale is a business which is looking to better it’s self not only off but also on the pitch. With people saying that we’ve improved on last years squad which at this point of the season I can’t see any evidence of. Are we on track to realise the clubs goals and aims with a shot at the playoffs (at least) !!!!! or will the owners be happy with what seems like impending mid table mediocrity with maybe a few more points than last season and loosing to a non league club in the cup. I’m sure not !!!!!!

John Askey signed a three year deal in May last year so has two years left. I might be wrong but I think Carol will give him until the end of his current contract to achieve promotion and if he doesn't he will be out. Each season most managers will try to improve the team on average with three better players than he had the season before. Askey has not done this which is why I believe we will not make the play offs this year as our first team is not as strong as last season.  My reasoning for this is that our aging players are at the deteriorating stage of their careers, as most players will tend to get slower each year once they turn 30. 

Another reason why I do not think that Carol will pull the trigger on Askey is because we are only allowed to have a squad of 22 players  so if a new manager was brought in he would have to transfer out a current squad player for any new ones he would want. During these covid times I can't see that happening.

In Askey we trust. (not really but we are stuck with him and hope I am wrong)

On 22/11/2020 at 14:11, Fosse69 said:
On 22/11/2020 at 13:38, Paul6754 said:

Maybe sign him in Jan if he fails to make an impact at Scunthorpe. Horses for courses?

Agree Fosse if there's money available. Would love to know how he didn't sign for Vale for this season, my guess is that Forest were still considering him for their first team squad and wouldn't let him out on loan at the time JA had to make decisions on other players to sign.

Archived