onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

John Askey

Powerline

If players can go through iffy patches of form,  then so can managers. I'll admit that right now it's not going to plan, but Askey is as professional and level headed manager that we've had for years. After the awful games that we've just seen, it's made me question if he's the right man, why has he made x or y decisions,  then rationality kicks in and makes me realise that up to now, we still have far more positives than negatives going for us. 

When people start calling for Askey to go, I've not seen one suggestion as to who should replace him, so do they want us to be a managerless club?  Not a very bright move is it?   Then again, perhaps these people are in the know and have a short list of high quality, successful managers, just itching to walk through the door at the Vale. 

Thing is, even the majority of successful managers have had the sack from somewhere - I believe this forum calls it the managerial merry-go-round,  so may be we should employ someone else's failure in the hope that he is going to magically turn us in to the team that no one else has been able to do for nearly eight years.

I'm not saying that we should accept mediocrity,  but I do believe that success does sometimes take longer than is expected,  there are too many examples in football for this not to be the case, but until it becomes obvious that we are struggling to the point of hopelessness and that wonder manager is out there, that disrupting the team at this stage would be massively counter productive.

Finally,  I hope that Carol never feels her hand should be forced, against her better judgment,  because of a vocal opinion of those who demand to be heard, because she's done pretty dammed good to date, so we'd best just leave it to her as to whose wages she wants to pay.                        I wonder if we can get Steve Evans?

Advert

4 hours ago, philmpv said:

Purely out of interest TB, what do you do in the weeks we win? Have you and RS Carl got your own little support bubble going on? Or do you call The Samaritans?

When we win I give praise if I feel it's due. I certainly don't go hiding. I'll give lots of praise if we win this weekend. Contrary to what you might think, I'd love nothing more than Askey to show me up and we go on a run and put in some good performances. But in my opinion, some of our results and performances over the last few weeks or so have been absolutely awful, and I'm starting to see a worrying trend, especially at Vale Park.

Our players have missed the vocal support from the fans without doubt.

what's more it looks like it will get worse before better. As when fans are let back in next month its probable that away fans will not be permitted, and only club's in low infection areas will be permitted to have fans in.

That will see us playing against the support of hone fans only when playing away, and in front of no fans when playing at home.

Not every manager is going to be popular and judging by recent posts this week even if Askey does go on a run there will be still fans who will probably be waiting for results and performances to go the other way.

Football is a very easy game to be negative about, there’s always something a player could have done differently, there’s always another option or decision they could have taken. But overall the comments in general when we lose or play poorly are disproportionate to those reactions when we win.

I don’t believe we should be sacking him at this stage of the season at all. 

Whether they want Askey in or out I do wish people would stop using last season as a comparison. 

Apparently we are 2 points better off than last season ? And that proves what exactly ? 

It proves nothing, firstly the opposition comes into play and also we have played 7 home games compared to 5 away. Although granted our away form is better.

We might of possibly lost maybe 2 in 15 after our yearly capitulation at Swindon. Also finished the season was it 8 unbeaten ? Are we likely to replicate that, unlikely. 

I am firmly in the Keep Askey camp but it feels like those who aren't are shot down in flames and ridiculed .

Strange that it happens a lot on here if you don't fit the narrative. 

Questions have to be asked, it's not about how many points it's about how we are performing and a seemingly lack of game management or plan B. 

We all think we know best I'm no exception but when it's so glaringly obvious to us why isn't it to JA ?

Take last Saturday after their 3rd okay it's disappointing but we'll take a point at 3-3 kill the game dead by bringing on Brisley. Appalling that he didn't as Tranmere had huge momentum. The reluctance to not alter tactics depending on opposition is also killing us. 

He has to change his way of thinking depending on circumstances. 

If nothing else it proves that a season lasts a lot more than 12 games.

Whether they want Askey in or out I do wish people would stop using last season as a comparison. 
Apparently we are 2 points better off than last season ? And that proves what exactly ? 
It proves nothing, firstly the opposition comes into play and also we have played 7 home games compared to 5 away. Although granted our away form is better.
We might of possibly lost maybe 2 in 15 after our yearly capitulation at Swindon. Also finished the season was it 8 unbeaten ? Are we likely to replicate that, unlikely. 
I am firmly in the Keep Askey camp but it feels like those who aren't are shot down in flames and ridiculed .
Strange that it happens a lot on here if you don't fit the narrative. 
Questions have to be asked, it's not about how many points it's about how we are performing and a seemingly lack of game management or plan B. 
We all think we know best I'm no exception but when it's so glaringly obvious to us why isn't it to JA ?
Take last Saturday after their 3rd okay it's disappointing but we'll take a point at 3-3 kill the game dead by bringing on Brisley. Appalling that he didn't as Tranmere had huge momentum. The reluctance to not alter tactics depending on opposition is also killing us. 
He has to change his way of thinking depending on circumstances. 

For those who want a change of manager again ! Remember that not too far away (about 5 miles) there is a team who's fans were moaning their bags off because the manager could only get his team to ninth in the premier league ! Numerous managers later look where they are. 🤣😂🤣😂

I had to laugh at JA's press conference regarding the change to substitutes. As we all know he doesn't like to make changes anyway with 3 so 5 potential changes is going to blow his mind😀

To be fair I agree with him. Its a  ridiculous change to the rules, only going to help the big spenders like Salford with big strong squads.

9 hours ago, barny61 said:

For those who want a change of manager again ! Remember that not too far away (about 5 miles) there is a team who's fans were moaning their bags off because the manager could only get his team to ninth in the premier league ! Numerous managers later look where they are. 🤣😂🤣😂

Whilst very funny and evidence of a disastrous move, you can point to several clubs who did make a change in manager and it led to an upturn of fortunes.

Again, I want Askey to see this season out and be given every opportunity of getting us in the top 7. I personally have a couple of doubts currently about the likelihood of this, but happy to wait and see.

3 hours ago, Joe B said:

Whilst very funny and evidence of a disastrous move, you can point to several clubs who did make a change in manager and it led to an upturn of fortunes.

Again, I want Askey to see this season out and be given every opportunity of getting us in the top 7. I personally have a couple of doubts currently about the likelihood of this, but happy to wait and see.

True enough, sometimes the change does work, but in the majority of cases clubs end up in a cycle of managerial and player churn.  I think some fans actually enjoy this, as the comings and goings make life interesting.  Anyway, the vast majority of clubs who change their manager are in a far worse position than we currently find ourselves in so the whole discussion is ridiculously premature .  I'd also add it'd be a complete and utter waste of money, money which, if we have it to waste, would be better spent on adding a player in January.

I wholeheartedly agree with you, judge further down the line.  Until then, yes, by all means ask questions, but support the club, the manager and the players through the ups and the downs.  Especially this season, which is like no other.

7 hours ago, toyahw said:

I'm not in the Askey out brigade. But he has up his game. And if  he really thinks we played well in the last two games, he was watching a different game than me. 

That’s a very worrying sign. How he can think we played well in the last two games is beyond me - expect more of the same then if he thinks we performed well

Archived