onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

John Askey

Powerline

Most the fans here will always have the bang average club they deserve. They're happy just as long as we're surviving in the football league. Pitiful.
Purely out of interest TB, what do you do in the weeks we win? Have you and RS Carl got your own little support bubble going on? Or do you call The Samaritans?

Advert

I like Askey, and think he's done a good job in steadying the ship and getting us back towards the top 7.

Is he good enough to get us out of the league? I'm not sure.

Should definitely be given the season to attempt it, but anything less than 7th needs a serious inquiry.

18 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

Totally irrelevant - are you going to try to argue that goals from setpieces / penalties don't count? Scraping the bottom if you are!

Not irrelevant at all. We’ve hardly scored anything from open play. It’s fine let’s just keep losing to 0. Never heard such rubbish. 

It's a fair point btw; teams that rely on set pieces/penalties to create chances often do not enjoy success.

Unfortunately, our open play chance creation, one of the key indicator of success, is completely mid-table up until this point. Brown performing heroics from close range chances has kept us up there.

Alas, as always in football, things even out; in the last two games, two wonder strikes with a low chance of going in have beaten us. You can't rely on luck to go up.

Askey needs to employ a proper number 10 behind the striker pronto.

Final point - as mentioned by others, you should be allowed to offer justified criticism of Askey and also not want him sacked.

Askey's decision making over the last few weeks has been questionable at best, but he's had sufficient success to give us evidence that he knows what he's doing.

I think it's entirely fair that he has the season, but if top 7 isn't achieved, you need to look at why.

45 minutes ago, PortVale4Life said:

Not irrelevant at all. We’ve hardly scored anything from open play. It’s fine let’s just keep losing to 0. Never heard such rubbish. 

You should try reading your own drivel then! 50% of our games have been won...which means we have created and scored goals - if they come from a setpiece or penalty, that's fine - you have to be attacking to get them!

I'm not even close to saying that we're playing well or up to expectation, however we're 2 points off 5th, where I thought we'd finish. It's been the lack of creativity that has been most concerning. Of my reckoning we've played:

Well against - Crawley, Exeter, Oldham, Cheltenham, Southend

Average Against - Salford, Cambridge, Tranmere

Poor Against - Harrogate, Morecambe, Carlisle, Scunthorpe

I would say the worry is that we've played badly 33% of the time, last year I would say we didn't touch that low level so far last year and why we drew so many games. One draw this year is a surprise. 

Askey has a system, and I really don't think the players have been fully immersed in playing that system. We play as if we have a big target man up front, even when we don't. They look hesitant to play forward balls and don't look confident that they're going to find their man in the box. 

However I still think that is relatively fixable. So either play a big target man, or switch your style to adapt to the striker you have playing. No big balls to Cullen all game! And put Monty back at left-back. That move last year resulted in us turning the corner (v Bradford). More attacking play from the full backs is required in this system. You don't get that from playing Crookes.

Back to my initial comparison to Wycombe, I’d like to explain after someone pointed out longevity doesn’t guarantee success.

This was not my point. Longevity doesn’t guarantee success. However. Look at all the clubs that have had success that are similar in size and budget to us. What do they all have in common? Longevity with the manager and a squad that’s been built up over time. So longevity doesn’t guarantee success but imo success requires longevity.

It’s also worth pointing out that we shouldn’t go s*** or bust for promotion. You see a lot of teams do that and for what? They come straight back down the next year. I’d rather get promoted 3 years from now after having 3 good seasons and then build from there in league 1 and hopefully towards the championship, rather than throwing the kitchen sink at this season, going up, coming straight back down, having all our players poached and then being back to square one. 

4 hours ago, PortVale4Life said:

What makes me laugh is the certainty that John Askey will turn this round.

we’ve been brilliant so far haven’t we. Great result and performances in the last 3 home games, Harrogate, Carlisle, morcambe ect.  Things are brilliant. We’re dropping down the league. We can’t score we don’t create anything. We will get beat on Saturday but everyone seems fine with that. Why is everyone just accepting this mediocrity every season. 

Laugh away, but to answer your points.  Nobody is certain of anything.  If it's stick or twist, I prefer to stick with the cards I can see in front of me right now, a team in 8th, early in the season, a decent squad with room for improvement.  You clearly want to twist as sitting on the fringes of the playoffs isn't acceptable to you as you see this as "mediocrity", so you'll gamble blindly, in the hope that someone will give you the team of your wet dreams.  Look back over your time as a Vale fan.  How many good managers vs bad managers have we had, then explain what makes you think the next manager, there will be one at some point, will be better than the current one?  With regard to the results and performances, as things stand the results have got us to the fringes of the playoff places.  Not good enough for you, we already know that, so you've picking a few games from this season whilst disregarding most of last season under the same management team, disregarding in the process the evidence that the current players and staff are capable of better, without the need to make a radical change to the structure.   Nobody is saying "things are brilliant", what I and others are saying is that things aren't bad enough to even contemplate a change in manager.  It's a joke, and any fans of other teams in our league reading your comments would be laughing their collective cocks off.  Are we dropping down the league, or are we higher than when we started?  Depends how you want to look at that one.  "We can't score we don't create anything."  Did we score against Tranmere? Did we create those goals or did the wind blow the ball into the back of the net?  We can create and score, just not consistently enough at present, and we do need to find a way to break teams down who sit back.  It's not an impossible task, it's a puzzle and nothing more.  Nobody will be "fine" if we get beat Saturday.  It's illogical to think fans of any team are happy when their team loses.  So another ridiculous suggestion.  There's a pattern here.  Naturally some people will be more uptight than others if it happens but nobody is accepting "mediocrity" - fans have different expectations but "mediocrity" won't be acceptable now as it wasn't in the past, that's why Bruno, Brown & Aspin have come and gone.

The bottom line is that anyone can make a flippant statement when things aren't going to plan.  It's easy cuz it requires no thought.

2 hours ago, LancyTony said:

You should try reading your own drivel then! 50% of our games have been won...which means we have created and scored goals - if they come from a setpiece or penalty, that's fine - you have to be attacking to get them!

Disagree. We haven’t created anywhere near enough. Look at the amount of games where we have failed to score. 50% games been lost as well. 

3 hours ago, Joe B said:

Final point - as mentioned by others, you should be allowed to offer justified criticism of Askey and also not want him sacked.

Askey's decision making over the last few weeks has been questionable at best, but he's had sufficient success to give us evidence that he knows what he's doing.

I think it's entirely fair that he has the season, but if top 7 isn't achieved, you need to look at why.

Exactly. 

Archived