onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

John Askey

Powerline

12 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

You can really see them releasing Smith and Gibbo if we didn’t go up? Or do you mean they’ll be sold? Brown, Worrall and Amoo have some life left in them yet I think if they stayed. 

I think MBE has a point because if we don't go up (and I'm not yet in that camp), other clubs will definitely come after our better players. I'm not sure our owners would want them to go but if they were clubs from a higher division and the players wanted to go, it would be hard to stop them leaving, even under contract. Anyroad, we're getting beyond ourselves really because we're nowhere near that point yet!

Advert

What really makes me laugh is the certainty which some individuals seem to have that replacing the manager would instantly improve things.  The reality is that even when things are bad, which they aren't, you normally end up in a cycle of having to make 2 or 3 appointments again before one comes off.  Any new appointment is a complete lottery with zero guarantee of success, we've seen it first hand, but for some people their memories of this are fudged.

51 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

You can really see them releasing Smith and Gibbo if we didn’t go up? Or do you mean they’ll be sold? Brown, Worrall and Amoo have some life left in them yet I think if they stayed. 

I expect them to be sold if we don't go up. I don't know the contract situation but both players need to be playing in L1 at the stage of the career and I'm sure will be looking elsewhere. Wozza and Amoo in particular game is based on pace -Wozza could possibly retrain in CM which I have advocated for while but Amoo not so much. As much as I love Amoo as a player at 30 years old a pace winger will start decline.

5 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

What really makes me laugh is the certainty which some individuals seem to have that replacing the manager would instantly improve things.  The reality is that even when things are bad, which they aren't, you normally end up in a cycle of having to make 2 or 3 appointments again before one comes off.  Any new appointment is a complete lottery with zero guarantee of success, we've seen it first hand, but for some people their memories of this are fudged.

What makes me laugh is the certainty that John Askey will turn this round.

we’ve been brilliant so far haven’t we. Great result and performances in the last 3 home games, Harrogate, Carlisle, morcambe ect.  Things are brilliant. We’re dropping down the league. We can’t score we don’t create anything. We will get beat on Saturday but everyone seems fine with that. Why is everyone just accepting this mediocrity every season. 

8 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Progress was excellent 2nd half of last season for me partly down to jake Taylor who was a huge player for us. 

Jake Taylor didn't play a league game for us after 1st January.  He contributed very little to the second half of last season.

So disappointing to hear some of the remarks on here, over the last couple of weeks. Contrary to what some of you are saying, we have definitely improved, maybe only marginally, on last season, with a couple more points at the same stage.  League and FA Cup campaigns have been disappointing but we are on course with the (oddly-)reviled FL Trophy, which has brought some much-needed cash into the club

Comparisons with clubs like Wycombe and Crewe ARE appropriate, with regards to size of crowds and income, but not managerial stability...or, even, the instability of our previous owner - very few teams have had to contend with a whackjob who threatened to put his own club into administration! Another comparison to use would be Accrington Stanley, especially under John Coleman, who has also been given time to do the job (and has 40%+ win rates for both his stints as Accy manager!).

It's absolutely typical that the criticisms come out after bad results - they are not so stupid as to criticise a team doing well! - are we doing well?...we've been in the top 7 most of this season, so far, with more good results against teams around us than poor results, and are in 8th place, but out of the playoff spots on GD only...so, I would argue that we are doing well! Obviously, a couple of bad results - and the manner of them - have been disappointing, but it's also fair to say we haven't had the first-choice line-up since the season started, through injury and isolation. And a couple of players are only now approaching match fitness. And some of the others appear to be having confidence issues, not reaching the form they did last season...these factors have to be considered and some players given time to regain confidence - which can be such a fragile thing - instead of constantly being nagged at, even when they're doing an ok job.

1 hour ago, philmpv said:

Why are the majority posting as though we're 18th rather than bloody 8th?!

I am posting to you Phil this time😀

I posted based on the fact, after playing half of the league, we are a competitive mid table team who respond weakly to conceding goals, lack a plan b,c and d when a is not working against teams who sit in and defend. If we continue doing the same thing we will end up mid table.

I'm not suggesting we remove the manager at this stage, just pointing out we have an ageing team with some bright young players and think its now or never for this group of players. JA needs to work out b,c & d. before its too late and the owners have a decision to make.

5 hours ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Not sure of your age TB but you either :

never watched during the Rudge years

accepted him because we were successful, in the end

were totally wrong then as you probably are here with Askey.

There are and will always be managers with totally different characters. There is no point attacking him because you dislike his character. I am certain Askey is  here to stay for at least another 12 months, without something disastrous happening, so you need to accept him or leave the Vale alone until we are successful if it really gets to you the way you are coming over on here. Just one question to you. How do you know the players are going through the motions and if they are its all down to Askey

Just to add i will criticise him where i feel it needs, in my opinion that is, but as a person its not our job to criticise. 

Fair enough. So forgetting the fact that, in my opinion, he has all of the personality of your average Jellyfish (or at least that's how he comes across on camera) I'll just concentrate on that the football his team plays is largely rubbish. Backwards. Sideways .Sideways. Backwards. Add to that the fact that he doesn't seem capable of changing things up much at all and having a plan B when things aren't working, often leaves his subs far, far too late for them to have a proper impact on the game and also that we've now lost half of our last 10 games in the league, and I feel there's a fair amount to be concerned amount from the team and Mr. Askey.

14 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

What really makes me laugh is the certainty which some individuals seem to have that replacing the manager would instantly improve things...

6 minutes ago, PortVale4Life said:

we’ve been brilliant so far haven’t we. Great result and performances in the last 3 home games...

And there's the difference. Those advocating for change - please remember that Michael Brown and Alan Pardew are still available! And no - we haven't been brilliant - but we have been very decent in some of the (won) games against teams around us.

10 minutes ago, PortVale4Life said:

We’re dropping down the league... We can’t score we don’t create anything...

For crying out loud, man - we're out of the playoffs on GD, having spent most of this season in and around them - it's not like we're plummeting, helplessly, down the League! And yes - we do score goals and create things - you don't win unless you score goals and we have 6 wins from 12 games...we just haven't done great in 3 or 4 games, but, even there, with a bit of luck...and without some seriously awful refereeing decisions...we could have done better! Let's get some perspective - as has been said before, by others - and not start calling for change this early?

11 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

So disappointing to hear some of the remarks on here, over the last couple of weeks. Contrary to what some of you are saying, we have definitely improved, maybe only marginally, on last season, with a couple more points at the same stage.  League and FA Cup campaigns have been disappointing but we are on course with the (oddly-)reviled FL Trophy, which has brought some much-needed cash into the club

Comparisons with clubs like Wycombe and Crewe ARE appropriate, with regards to size of crowds and income, but not managerial stability...or, even, the instability of our previous owner - very few teams have had to contend with a whackjob who threatened to put his own club into administration! Another comparison to use would be Accrington Stanley, especially under John Coleman, who has also been given time to do the job (and has 40%+ win rates for both his stints as Accy manager!).

It's absolutely typical that the criticisms come out after bad results - they are not so stupid as to criticise a team doing well! - are we doing well?...we've been in the top 7 most of this season, so far, with more good results against teams around us than poor results, and are in 8th place, but out of the playoff spots on GD only...so, I would argue that we are doing well! Obviously, a couple of bad results - and the manner of them - have been disappointing, but it's also fair to say we haven't had the first-choice line-up since the season started, through injury and isolation. And a couple of players are only now approaching match fitness. And some of the others appear to be having confidence issues, not reaching the form they did last season...these factors have to be considered and some players given time to regain confidence - which can be such a fragile thing - instead of constantly being nagged at, even when they're doing an ok job.

How have we improved?

17 minutes ago, PortVale4Life said:

we’ve been brilliant so far haven’t we. Great result and performances in the last 3 home games, Harrogate, Carlisle, morcambe ect.  Things are brilliant. We’re dropping down the league. We can’t score we don’t create anything. We will get beat on Saturday but everyone seems fine with that. Why is everyone just accepting this mediocrity every season. 

Most the fans here will always have the bang average club they deserve. They're happy just as long as we're surviving in the football league. Pitiful.

Just now, LancyTony said:

And there's the difference. Those advocating for change - please remember that Michael Brown and Alan Pardew are still available! And no - we haven't been brilliant - but we have been very decent in some of the (won) games against teams around us.

For crying out loud, man - we're out of the playoffs on GD, having spent most of this season in and around them - it's not like we're plummeting, helplessly, down the League! And yes - we do score goals and create things - you don't win unless you score goals and we have 6 wins from 12 games...we just haven't done great in 3 or 4 games, but, even there, with a bit of luck...and without some seriously awful refereeing decisions...we could have done better! Let's get some perspective - as has been said before, by others - and not start calling for change this early?

How many have we scored from open play this season? 

14 minutes ago, Coyney Valiant said:

The people on here that say replacing the manager won’t change things just watch Mansfield now Nigel Clough has gone there just had a tenner on them making the play offs 

Nobody is saying it won't improve things - just that there is no guarantee that it will! There is a difference! And for every Cloughie, there is a Michael Brown, or Alan Pardew around! 

10 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

I think you have missed the point Darren.

What point have I missed ?

People are saying don't judge him on 12 games because JR wouldn't of lasted long had we done so. 

I'm not judging JA by calling for his head at all , but questions need to be asked .

The two people shouldn't even be mentioned in the same thread a complete irrelevance 30 years ago to now and the current manager and every manager since bar Adams are not fit to lace Rudgies boots 

Archived