onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

John Askey

Powerline

5 hours ago, ginge said:

Why do you have to attack him personally?

Nobody is saying everything is wonderful, but it's certainly nowhere near as terrible as some "numpties" are making out.

Let's sack him now then and go back to square one but when are we going to give anyone time to build and progress? 

If he felt attacked because I'm calling him boring then that would make him a bit of a snowflake. He might well be completely different in person for all I know. But his interviews whether we win or lose after games leave a lot to be desired. I can only imagine if he's the same in the dressing room then it's no wonder sometimes the players look like they are going through the motions. He reminds me of Normal Clegg.

Advert

4 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

Perhaps if he told the odd gag it would help?

Seriously Tyler.  Give it a rest mate.  We won 3 on the spin recently and you went very quiet.  A run of poor results and here you are again. 

Who do we appoint within budget?

That's not my decision to make, or will it ever be. But someone who has a bit of fire in their belly would be a start. Askey looks half asleep most the time. Truth is there's no way the players are at all inspired playing for him, not a Cat in hells chance. As I've said before more than once, performances worry me right now even more than results. We've looked absolutely hopeless at times this season.

1 minute ago, TylerB said:

That's not my decision to make, or will it ever be. But someone who has a bit of fire in their belly would be a start. Askey looks half asleep most the time. Truth is there's no way the players are at all inspired playing for him, not a Cat in hells chance. As I've said before more than once, performances worry me right now even more than results. We're looked absolutely hopeless at times this season.

frank sinclair?

8 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

Seriously you are deluded.

We were dropping like a stone, losing to all the teams below us.  We were gone!  Absolutely gone.

How does that make me deluded? We lost the first four games when askey took over is that wrong? 

We weren’t gone we’re we. We were 18th with what 20 games left. We weren’t gone. 

32 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

I wonder if you were advocating this at the time? 

Seems odd that you claim we would not have been relegated when we were in free fall and that Askey had no impact on us staying up.  Yet here we are, finish just outside the play offs last season (cut short), sniffing around them this season (no home advantage) and you give Aksey no credit.  Its almost as if some of you just don't like the bloke and are happy to white wash the good things he has done with, well, rubbish.

Are you actually reading what I’m replying or just making it up as you go?

on two posts now I’ve replied saying he did have an impact.... I’ve got nothing against and him for about the 50th time I don’t want him sacked. He did what he was brought in to do. And did well. Nobody is denying that! Now we have a good budget compared to most sides in this league who have lost most of their squad and have signed literally nobody we need to be progressing. I don’t think we are.

I still think if we had hired a new manager we would have stayed up. 16 points from 20 games is nothing special. Credit to John for doing it, but I don’t think we were as doomed as you keep making out. 

I think the issue as mentioned earlier was we peaked so well last season and deserved the play offs that it feels we have gone backwards from that level. 

Re credit I don’t think he deserves it for this season. We’ve barely scored a goal from open play! 

1 hour ago, Nofinikea said:

So instead of berating Askey perhaps you should berate the owners.  Its there decision to keep Askey.  Its not Askeys fault you don't rate him is it, he can only do his best.  

Clearly he does his best as anybody would. As I've said all along, I'm hoping he proves me wrong and in 5 games time we've won a few of them and he makes me look like an absolute melt. But I don't see anything changing. In my opinion we should be much better than a win one lose one (our overall record in the league right now) side, and our form and performances at home this season have been inept at times at best, diabolical at worst. You can't just take them away like they never exist, but imagine where we would be without those two wins at the start of the season, one of which was very fortunate. 5 league losses in the last 10 games is not acceptable considering the squad we have.

55 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I think the issue as mentioned earlier was we peaked so well last season and deserved the play offs that it feels we have gone backwards from that level.

I  would agree with that.

I guess league two football is pretty basic.
Vale didn't even have the basics 18 months ago.
They're now trying to go beyond the basics, possibly having missed out on a consolidation phase, largely because we progressed much faster than expected.
Maybe we're simply hitting reality, and going backwards before we go forwards again.
Progress is rarely linear.

Losing to a poor non league outfit has now opened the debate on JA and the last few games has clearly demonstrated that we need a big mobile striker a young Pope.... If I was the board I be looking at bringing in some support for JA in some form of attacking coaching staff by looking at training on how to breaking down teams who park the bus... We aren't far off it is very frustrating but we do need a quality striker

2 hours ago, TylerB said:

If he felt attacked because I'm calling him boring then that would make him a bit of a snowflake. He might well be completely different in person for all I know. But his interviews whether we win or lose after games leave a lot to be desired. I can only imagine if he's the same in the dressing room then it's no wonder sometimes the players look like they are going through the motions. He reminds me of Normal Clegg.

Not sure of your age TB but you either :

never watched during the Rudge years

accepted him because we were successful, in the end

were totally wrong then as you probably are here with Askey.

There are and will always be managers with totally different characters. There is no point attacking him because you dislike his character. I am certain Askey is  here to stay for at least another 12 months, without something disastrous happening, so you need to accept him or leave the Vale alone until we are successful if it really gets to you the way you are coming over on here. Just one question to you. How do you know the players are going through the motions and if they are its all down to Askey

Just to add i will criticise him where i feel it needs, in my opinion that is, but as a person its not our job to criticise. 

3 hours ago, TylerB said:

Clearly he does his best as anybody would. As I've said all along, I'm hoping he proves me wrong and in 5 games time we've won a few of them and he makes me look like an absolute melt. But I don't see anything changing. In my opinion we should be much better than a win one lose one (our overall record in the league right now) side, and our form and performances at home this season have been inept at times at best, diabolical at worst. You can't just take them away like they never exist, but imagine where we would be without those two wins at the start of the season, one of which was very fortunate. 5 league losses in the last 10 games is not acceptable considering the squad we have.

Give it a rest man. You are boring us all.

Agree with the point above about attacking the manager because he seems a boring character, that’s pointless. He can clearly get a tune out of the players because he did it last season. His “problem” is that we exceeded expectations last year and naturally people expect us to go one better again. Personally I think we will exceed last season and we will get in to play offs at least. Granted we haven’t started the season in free flowing form, and it was interesting to see the official site post something on social media saying we are 2 points better off now than last season, clearly an attempt to head things off in terms of fan negativity. But we know the team can play better, I’m sure they know it too, but they’re in there still and we haven’t fallen away and it’s early doors. I’m convinced no fans is having a negative impact on us at home, I know it shouldn’t, but I really believe when we get behind the team it gives them a lift to drive us on. They need to find a way to deal with that.l and lift themselves if it is an issue. 

Also when you look at last season we had a core that played really well and were extremely consistent in brown, Gibbo, Legge, smith, joyce, burgess, Conlon, Taylor, Amoo & Worrall. This season out of those  - Gibbos injured, Amoo has missed games through injury and not hit form enough and he could be out again. Taylor’s gone. Whilst Legge, burgess and Conlon have dropped off massively. Worrall took 5 games to get going. We’ve had new signings having to isolate and our midfield messiah out injured again.  I don’t think also that’s down to the manager, it’s just league two players,  but they need to find form in quite a strange season of unprecedented issues facing everyone in football. Because there’s an opportunity here to take advantage of this situation if we can get players firing and fit. 

48 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Agree with the point above about attacking the manager because he seems a boring character, that’s pointless. He can clearly get a tune out of the players because he did it last season. His “problem” is that we exceeded expectations last year and naturally people expect us to go one better again. Personally I think we will exceed last season and we will get in to play offs at least. Granted we haven’t started the season in free flowing form, and it was interesting to see the official site post something on social media saying we are 2 points better off now than last season, clearly an attempt to head things off in terms of fan negativity. But we know the team can play better, I’m sure they know it too, but they’re in there still and we haven’t fallen away and it’s early doors. I’m convinced no fans is having a negative impact on us at home, I know it shouldn’t, but I really believe when we get behind the team it gives them a lift to drive us on. They need to find a way to deal with that.l and lift themselves if it is an issue. 

Also when you look at last season we had a core that played really well and were extremely consistent in brown, Gibbo, Legge, smith, joyce, burgess, Conlon, Taylor, Amoo & Worrall. This season out of those  - Gibbos injured, Amoo has missed games through injury and not hit form enough and he could be out again. Taylor’s gone. Whilst Legge, burgess and Conlon have dropped off massively. Worrall took 5 games to get going. We’ve had new signings having to isolate and our midfield messiah out injured again.  I don’t think also that’s down to the manager, it’s just league two players,  but they need to find form in quite a strange season of unprecedented issues facing everyone in football. Because there’s an opportunity here to take advantage of this situation if we can get players firing and fit. 

I think the absence of fans has also hit us hard away from home too. Being exiled, I've gone away matches where I could and the rowdy, noisy, vociferous Vale fans make a real difference to our performance. Home fans hate it too as we very often make more noise than they do. Either way - home or away - I think it's definitely had an effect on performances, not to mention referees!

Agree completely the lack of fans is really hurting us at home. I can't believe for one minute we would have had as many referring decisions go against us and don't think our players would be as fragile as they appear to be without fans cheering them on when we concede a goal.

On the JA debate -I posted previously on a match day thread the clock is ticking. I think we have a small window of opportunity with this group of players to get promotion, which is this season. They are a good bunch ,some struggling with form, nevertheless we should be up there challenging and we are not due to lack of different tactics. This is on JA and he needs to find a solution quickly.

If we don't make promotion this year we will effectively be doing another rebuild job as the likes of Brown,Legge,Smith, Gibbo, Joyce, Pope, Amoo and possibly Wozza will be moved.  This would likely result in another 2-3 seasons years in L2 which doesn't bear thinking of. This is why we need some urgency from JA to sort it out quickly or show signs of improvement, if he can't the board need will need to act before its too late and we miss our golden opportunity.

Why are the majority posting as though we're 18th rather than bloody 8th?!

Agree completely the lack of fans is really hurting us at home. I can't believe for one minute we would have had as many referring decisions go against us and don't think our players would be as fragile as they appear to be without fans cheering them on when we concede a goal.
On the JA debate -I posted previously on a match day thread the clock is ticking. I think we have a small window of opportunity with this group of players to get promotion, which is this season. They are a good bunch ,some struggling with form, nevertheless we should be up there challenging and we are not due to lack of different tactics. This is on JA and he needs to find a solution quickly.
If we don't make promotion this year we will effectively be doing another rebuild job as the likes of Brown,Legge,Smith, Gibbo, Joyce, Pope, Amoo and possibly Wozza will be moved.  This would likely result in another 2-3 seasons years in L2 which doesn't bear thinking of. This is why we need some urgency from JA to sort it out quickly or show signs of improvement, if he can't the board need will need to act before its too late and we miss our golden opportunity.

19 minutes ago, MBE said:

You can really see them releasing Smith and Gibbo if we didn’t go up? Or do you mean they’ll be sold? Brown, Worrall and Amoo have some life left in them yet I think if they stayed. 

Archived