onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

John Askey

Powerline

8 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

10th Jan 1988, Vale go into an FA cup game against Macclesfield.  On the back of a terrible run of results.  Reportedly Rudge was 90 minutes away from the sack. 12 league games without a win.  The only glimmer was a replay win over Tranmere and a 2nd round win over Notts County in the Cup.  Kevin Finney scores in the 1-0 win over Macclesfield and we draw spurs in the next round....  the rest, as they say is history.

Some on here would have had Rudgie sacked in November, thats if he had made it past the first 12 games of the 85/86 season when we had, wait for it... 19 points!

Spot on, as I know 100% that had we not won on that day, Bell was sacking John Rudge.Good job social media wasnt around as it would have helped Bell's cause.Thank god for John Rudge.Guess what?he's there helping out on the training MOST days too nowadays.Askey has some sound advisors to listen to,unlike some idiots on here.

Advert

10th Jan 1988, Vale go into an FA cup game against Macclesfield.  On the back of a terrible run of results.  Reportedly Rudge was 90 minutes away from the sack. 12 league games without a win.  The only glimmer was a replay win over Tranmere and a 2nd round win over Notts County in the Cup.  Kevin Finney scores in the 1-0 win over Macclesfield and we draw spurs in the next round....  the rest, as they say is history.
Some on here would have had Rudgie sacked in November, thats if he had made it past the first 12 games of the 85/86 season when we had, wait for it... 19 points!
Have to say for the first time I have to agree with you, spot on on Noidea well said Sir

7 hours ago, TylerB said:

Awful so far after the first two games. Nothing will change. Askey is what he looks and how he talks. The team is quickly becoming his personality on the pitch - Timid, boring and predictable. Give it another 5 or 6 games and I dare say quite a few more will be asking serious questions about him.

Lost 5 out of the last 10 league games with our supposed best squad in years, along with being embarrassed in the FA Cup, and some numpties here seem to think everything is wonderful.

Why do you have to attack him personally?

Nobody is saying everything is wonderful, but it's certainly nowhere near as terrible as some "numpties" are making out.

Let's sack him now then and go back to square one but when are we going to give anyone time to build and progress? 

5 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

The owners trust Askey with the task.  That's good enough for me.

Yes they have common sense, hence why their business is so successful and even though they are Vale fans I have confidence they will stick by him as they are not as silly as some.

John Rudge is a once in a lifetime legend. People like Sir John are once every 100 years.

This 12 game analogy. By that reckoning we'd of kept Michael Brown after our 1-2-10 start .

Never in any of my posts have i personally said sack JA.

I'm frustrated and questions need asking , but comparison with John Rudge record is great but any possibility of by holding onto JA could mean a return to the glory days of the 90's is laughable.

The Rudge legacy will live forever with Port Vale, just because his record wasn't great at one stage doesn't mean we hark back 30 years and say look at what might not  of happened.

2 completely different scenarios. 

Just because certain managers were given time is irrelevant. There are cases where sticking with a manager works eg ainsworth and ones where they clearly needed to be sacked. It changes club to club and manager to manager. You can’t say that because ainsworth has been at Wycombe so long that askey should stay at vale that long and were guaranteed success. Same with the artell comparison. There isn’t one. Two completely different clubs. Stability is of course what every club wants. But you have to progress; you can’t just stay at the same level over and over again otherwise what’s the point? Askey deserves more time but things have to improve, there have already been many worse performances than last season in a weaker league this time where only a handful of clubs were able to actually strengthen their squad. 

To the opening poster. Because some fans want change Dosent make them embarrassing either. 

If we lose the next few games in the same manor as the previous 3 will fans still want this stability? As I say before people jump all over me saying he’s done a great job and how dare you question him. I don’t want him sacked but things have to improve. 

I think the comparison to Wycombe is currently quite fitting. He took over in November 2012 and led them to a 15th place finish. The following season they finished 22nd having survived on the last day of the season by goal difference.

It would have been easy at some point in that season to get rid as the results clearly weren't very good.

They stuck with him and he managed to turn it around and has led them to unprecedented success.

No one is saying that Askey will do similar for us. What people are saying is that the team has improved since he took over. We have ahad a bit of a regression at the moment buts lets at least give him half a season to turn it round.

I personally think the team is performing similarly to last season after which everyone was full of optimism.

I think we are currently suffering a bit because we don't know our first choice striker and from week to week where we need to create the space in attack changes. We also have lost Gibbons and Monty for periods which was our main focus of attack.

If we have to start again there is no urgency to do it now, so let's see what Askey can do. He didn't take Macc up in his second full season he gradually improved the team bit by bit. Lets give him chance to do it here.

9 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

Err wrong.  Askey kept us up under the blue one when we were doomed to non league. The new owners have done a fantastic job since but its quite disgraceful really to dismiss the gratitude we should have for that achievement.  What do you think would have happened had we dropped?  Thank god for Askey 

We wouldn’t have gone down. No chance the side was too good to go down. Had a decent budget and if I remember correctly weren’t even in the relegation zone! It was a good achievement where have I disregarded this? I do think a host of other managers would have done similar. Err wrong? It’s an option it’s not fact. We weren’t doomed to non league at all. I’m prerry sure we lost first few games under him as well which dropped us further down. 

We were 18th. Not doomed to non league. 

I think part of the issue this year is because we were doing so well last year

We weren’t expecting that and most would have settled for mid table last year - maybe last year was the ‘blip’ in a positive way and not where we are now

I think we are doing ok and have a chance of the play offs at least but changing managers on a regular basis never works, stability is the key and even ‘ average’ managers have a chance of building something then

15 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

What twaddle.

You have to look around to see what works and what doesn't elsewhere to learn.  You have to look at history and learn.  You can't just keep winging it until we get a bloke who never loses.

We have progressed under Askey, actually far quicker than any of us thought we would.  I think many people forget just how poor a state we were in prior to Askey coming.  We were nailed on dropping into the non league abyss.  Nailed on ffs!

We showed unbelievable progress last season and but for the pandemic would have made play offs.  We have had the pandemic this season which is taking away home advantage, something we capitalised on last season for the first time in years.  Askey still hasn't had a full season of normality and yet here we are, sniffing around the top 7 and folk want him gone...

I drew comparison to Rudge because we went 12 league games without a win.  12, yet people could see what he was trying to do.  It came down to the wire for him but a bit of courage is often needed to stick with somebody who is struggling because ultimately you can see that when you iron out the peaks and troughs we are on an upward trajectory.

It can't go on forever, of course it can't but calling for a managers head after 12 games, 19 pts and after he kept us up (as big an achievement as Rudges first promotion) got us challenging the season after..  madness.  When did football fans become so spoilt.

Thanks.  

as it’s been pointed out numerous times. Nobody is that daft to think a manager or team at this level never loses. However it’s certainly fine to question what has happened so far this season!

Is it wrong that we’ve already lost more home games this season? That we have one of the strongest budgets in the league? The last 3 games (and probably another 3) so far have been way below par. 

We were sniffing around the top 3 the other day. Now it’s top 7. Were dropping not climbing. Lose Saturday we will be sniffing around 12th! 

Progress was excellent 2nd half of last season for me partly down to jake Taylor who was a huge player for us. 

As I mentioned twice in my post. I don’t want askey gone and haven’t once called for his head. 

Rudge has nothing to do with it. United nearly sacked Ferguson and he went on to win everything. I wonder if the united fans feel the same about ole? 

What is it askey is trying to do? That’s the issue. We don’t create anything. Even when we scored 3 none were from open play. More than happy for him to stay for some time but we have to improve especially against sides we should be beating. 

I am just concerned he does not seem to motivate the players. We are in a rut, and when he is interviewed he does nothing confidence wise, most of the time he makes subs too late or not at all. The other thing that concerns me is he did well at macc, but they are non league, world of difference even if most say it is close to league 2 level.

Why is it now fans demand instant and constant success. This isn’t negativity it is just realism. We are not going to be successful every single season. It certainly wasn’t the case even in our greatest era under Rudge. 

I hope we don’t continue to be one of these clubs that has short term vision and never gives a manager time after a blip. 

How many seasons did it take Klopp to achieve success at Liverpool? How many seasons did it take Ainsworth at Wycombe? I m not saying that if we give Askey time we will definitely 100% be successful but we need to give someone a decent run and a few seasons to at least try and build something instead of chopping changing which has got us absolutely nowhere other than nearly going into non league. 

I don’t think I am being negative by saying mid table is okay. Of course I want better, I feel that I am just being positive about the position we are in. I am just prepared to be patient for success to come. Hopefully Askey will deliver that. 

if I remember rightly Askey’s tenure didn’t exactly get off to a flying start but gradually we have improved since he took over. 

Archived