onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

John Askey

Powerline

Thought I’d start this thread so it doesn’t get lost in the match threads.

Some of our fan base this season has been an embarrassment, calling for Askey to be sacked. We need to take a step back, and ask ourselves what sort of club do we want to be. Do we want to be another Salford just sacking managers for the sake of it? I personally do not and think that is ridiculous. If you look at the clubs of our size that have had success, like Wycombe for example, they’ve all had longevity and stuck with the manager and let them build something at the club.

Let’s not forget where we’ve been the last few years. Prior to last season, we were in a relegation battle every season for about 4 years. Askey is slowly building us back up, but that takes time. It’s never gonna be a quick fix where we throw a load of money at it and go up. 

I understand the frustration and disappointment over some of our recent performances, I feel that too. But it doesn’t help anybody by turning on the manager. We are outside the playoffs on goal difference after 12 games. At this point last season we were on 17 points. We currently have 19. So an improvement on last year. What more do you want? We don’t have an automatic right to storm the league and get automatic promotion. We’re not a rich club and we’re a similar size to numerous other clubs in the division. Clearly I want to get promoted, but we can’t get angry after 12 games when we aren’t in the top 3.

And let’s not forget about the bizarre circumstances of this season, which the team are trying their best to get through.

I’m not a happy clapper by any means. I wanted Aspin gone for over a month before he went. But this is ridiculous. We can’t demand the manager out every time we lose. We’re on the fringe of the playoffs for Christ’s sake. So I guess my point is get some perspective, and support the team. UTV.

Advert

This is the problem with the interweb. No sane person wants him sacked. The huge majority want him to stay and succeed. But are also entitled to criticise poor performances. But there is always a small number of shouters whose voice is disproportionately heard because they shout the loudest.

Let us see at the end of the season and evaluate then would be my position.

Awful so far after the first two games. Nothing will change. Askey is what he looks and how he talks. The team is quickly becoming his personality on the pitch - Timid, boring and predictable. Give it another 5 or 6 games and I dare say quite a few more will be asking serious questions about him.

Lost 5 out of the last 10 league games with our supposed best squad in years, along with being embarrassed in the FA Cup, and some numpties here seem to think everything is wonderful.

6 minutes ago, toyahw said:

This is the problem with the interweb. No sane person wants him sacked. The huge majority want him to stay and succeed. But are also entitled to criticise poor performances. But there is always a small number of shouters whose voice is disproportionately heard because they shout the loudest.

Let us see at the end of the season and evaluate then would be my position.

Yes, I can't see us doing anything with the manager before the end of the season. I saw someone say last night he has the safest job in the league and that's fair. This is a long-term project and unless it goes completely south in the next 2 months I can't see the justification.

I think he doesn't need to make wholesale changes to how he wants to play either. A proper left back who wants to play forward is a start. I like Crookes and he did nowt wrong last night, but he doesn't have enough confidence to push forward from left-back. Either Fitzpatrick or Montano are better options (My opinion is that we need Montano to make this team tick). Then I think we have to speed up our attacking play, or play Pope. The style of play we have been using is ideal for Pope. It is not ideal for any of the other 3 strikers. So you have to change up when you don't play Pope. I think the most frustrating aspect of last night was seeing Legge's diagonal passes to Cullen in the air. That really isn't playing to his strengths and it showed. 

Askey is a good manager, and he'll get us back on track. It's a blip.

6 minutes ago, stupers said:

Askey is a good manager, and he'll get us back on track. It's a blip.

I think/hope so. But he is looking a bit one-dimensional at the moment. Didn't like him sending out Kevan to face the press either. He (Askey) will either step up his game a bit, which I believe he can, or will be in trouble.

I'd be happy to be on the podcast to give my opinion on Crookes. Don't rate him mate at LB.

You only have to look at what has happened down the road at Crewe, love him or hate him, you cannot deny that David Artell has done a very good job with limited resources, but it took several season to turn them around and after flirting with relegation to the National League they look like they are establishing themselves in league 1..... Last season we were on a great run at the end of the season and this raised expectations for this season, we have probably got the strongest squad we have had for many a season, but it hasn’t really clicked yet this season, but I’m sure we will be there or there abouts come the end of the season...keep the faith.

There’s a big difference between Crewe and us though. We’ve been through a handful of managers in the last 4 seasons or so with all the various clear outs and influxes of players which that entails, whilst Crewe have been more stable and have built a base of academy players that’s now seeing some fruition.

28 minutes ago, toyahw said:

I think/hope so. But he is looking a bit one-dimensional at the moment. Didn't like him sending out Kevan to face the press either. He (Askey) will either step up his game a bit, which I believe he can, or will be in trouble.

I'd be happy to be on the podcast to give my opinion on Crookes. Don't rate him mate at LB

That is exactly our problem. The managers tactics are one dimensional. Teams know who and how why are going to play at home. Withstand the 1st 15 minutes of pressure  and sit back. We don't have a plan b,c or d and Askey doesn't appear to know either. Whats even more concerning is the players don't react very well to conceding a goal either. There doesn't appear to be any real leader in the side who is digging the players out to get a reaction.

I really like Askey and think he has done a great job but the problem is we have not moved on from last year. We are one of the few clubs in the league who kept the same squad together so there should be no excuses for it. As things stand we will always be a mid table team playing the same way because we are competitive and our game is based on teams coming to attack us. Sadly Askey hasn't managed to find the tactics or the right player combinations to change it when teams sit in and defend. We are nearly at the end of November he should have worked that out by now. I'm beginning to think he he can't do it but I really hope he proves me wrong.

There are only going to be so many chances at home Askey has to get this right or I'm sorry to say we should be looking for a change.

Away from home generally not a problem. We will keep things tight and try and nick a goal. I expect we will win, lose and draw in equal measure but like I say thats not the issue.

4 minutes ago, Chopper Harris said:

Wycombe Wanderers is a prime example of how stability can bring about success. How many seasons has Gareth Ainsworth been given to build a team. 

Chopper can't disagree with that but you see progress from his Wycombe team each year.That's the difference. You have to ask yourself are we improving from last year? At present the answer is no.

39 minutes ago, Another shropshire valiant said:

You only have to look at what has happened down the road at Crewe, love him or hate him, you cannot deny that David Artell has done a very good job with limited resources, but it took several season to turn them around and after flirting with relegation to the National League they look like they are establishing themselves in league 1..... Last season we were on a great run at the end of the season and this raised expectations for this season, we have probably got the strongest squad we have had for many a season, but it hasn’t really clicked yet this season, but I’m sure we will be there or there abouts come the end of the season...keep the faith.

"Had enough of this now. Whatever he says at half time is always a disaster. Enthusiastic but clueless in terms of tactical awareness."

"Things have got to change.
We deserved something out of the game.
We can't go on like this."

"Post match interview was a complete shambles. Obviously hasn't got a clue what to do next. "

These are just a few samples from the Artell Out thread on the trainspotters forum a couple of years ago.

1 minute ago, Jacko51 said:

"Had enough of this now. Whatever he says at half time is always a disaster. Enthusiastic but clueless in terms of tactical awareness."

"Things have got to change.
We deserved something out of the game.
We can't go on like this."

"Post match interview was a complete shambles. Obviously hasn't got a clue what to do next. "

These are just a few samples from the Artell Out thread on the trainspotters forum a couple of years ago.

You've got a heck of a memory! What do you have for your breakfast every morning?

14 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

There’s a big difference between Crewe and us though. We’ve been through a handful of managers in the last 4 seasons or so with all the various clear outs and influxes of players which that entails, whilst Crewe have been more stable and have built a base of academy players that’s now seeing some fruition.

Artell is no tactical genius, he is in a unique situation that he inherited a talented group of players that have been together since they were schoolkids, we have no one with the technical ability of Kirk, Wintle or Ng. the big problem they have and would not be entertained with Vale fans is these players are basically in the shop window, packed and ready to move on when the first decent offer comes in, Alex fans accept this, Vale fans would accuse the club of a lack of ambition.

They have struck lucky this season because I don't think anyone will move on in January due to the current situation, so they could end up having a good season.

Archived