Match Thread: Newport County v Port Vale

9 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

The Taylor issue is hardly Askey's fault.  Forest messed about for ages apparently with, I am told, a number of clubs after him.  The story is they would only let him go to a club who would pay all his wages. This is hearsay but from a decent source. Bear in mind he signed a new much improved contract during last season and his wages were considerably higher than we had paid when he came at the beginning of last season.  All of the clubs baulked at paying that but Scunny decided to do so - they have a very large wage bill with some players having their wages capped for for EFL rules at £68,000 despite being paid considerably more than that.  Sproson commented on the Scunny commentary about how big Van Veen's salary was.  Taylor has since played six games for them and they've lost them all.  I very much doubt Taylor is happy there.

Askeys failing in the Taylir issue is that we have no one in midfield who is likely to be a consistent goalscorer. If we needed Taylor and failed to get him then we should have replaced him with more goals.

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The usual over reaction on here We had plenty of chances today and yes we struggle to put them away but for me it was an improvement on Tuesdays game and an attacking set up from Askey when we could

Facts We have lost three league games on the bounce each by a single goal despite playing a considerable time with ten men in two of the games. We still sit just outside the play offs in 9th. So

THIS ISN'T AN ASKEY OUT POST BUT I AM GOING TO BE CRITICAL.  Sick and tired of this football club. The evidence is fairly irrefutable that John Askey's Port Vale concede in the last minute a

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Howjy04 said:

I think we will see the best of this side when Joyce,Conlon and Manny are our midfield three,on a regular basis, with Manny getting forward more.Wozza murdered their right back in the first half but had to swop wings after the sending off.Their commentators remarked how dangerous we were on the break.That changed ,unfortunately.There has been too many changes up front.One striker,as is JA’s preference,should play every week.Cullen ,whose first touch is normally very good would be my preference.Robbo would get better with games.Rodney needs a bit more coaching and needs to calm down.Popey is ,now ,a 20 minute sub when we are winning.The lack of goals is a concern but I think playing Manny further forward will create better and more chances.

Agree with the Worral comments but we were hardly dangerous. Couple of half chances that we failed to score and thats it. Wonder if Scunthorpe commentators thought we were dangerous with all the possession.

Do you have any thoughts on the fact that we may have too many strikers for the one role up front. Does it cloud the issue and give too many options when perhaps each one of the four could maybe do with a bigger run in the side

9 hours ago, pete vale said:

I didn't watch the game yesterday but to be honest when listening on radio Stoke you just knew a goal was on the cards at any time.

To me, expectation is and should be high in what when all said and done is a mediocre league, perhaps even more so with Covid budget restrictions.

i believe that Askey has been backed with the exception of Maynard (who may never have intended coming to Vale anyway - just playing them).

That said, even in the early game weeks the problems were there for all to see.

1) No one has replaced Tom Pope and he still is our No1 striker

2) We lack creativity and aggression in midfield. too much side to side, no forward cutting passes. pedestrian.

3) Playing Worrall, Amoo, Mckiirdy, Montano or whoever wide often results in no end result with no defined target man. Lots of effort - no end result.

4) We appear set up "not to lose" like a low budget side hanging on for results, this works away but home form and tactics are appalling.

5) The squad is again made up of like-type players, quantity over quality

I would appreciate the opinion of someone like Micky Adams on the set up.

"We should do better, we can do better, we need to do better"  should replace "Want, Need, Expect" on the shirts

Thats exactly how i see it and you dont need too many stats to back it up. Watch the Vale for 90 mins each week and the answers are there to be seen.

27 minutes ago, osprey said:

The goal from the other angle in this clip - dont think we could have done much about it really just bobbed up to him 😞 

https://www.facebook.com/24654790374/posts/10164633784695375/?sfnsn=scwspmo

Are you saying he was lucky the way it bobbed up to him?  You’ll get folk on here blasting you for suggesting that!!

Edited by Jacko51

1 hour ago, onestepatatime said:
1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:
Anyone watch the Leeds Arsenal game?  Leeds dominated even before Arsenal had a man sent off after 50 minutes. And the red wasn’t for a mistimed challenge attempting to win the ball, it was for a ridiculous head butt.
Leeds had 25 shots 3 of which hit the woodwork including a couple late in the game. Yet the score was 0-0.
Can someone explain what Arsenal did to make their own luck - John Askey would love to know!!

For a start off they didn't panic. Vale give everyone the jitters when attempting to defend in those circumstances.

So letting Leeds hit the post three times was because they didn’t panic?  Right. I’ll pass that on!!

6 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

I put it that way to stop people like you jumping on me for just saying he knows what he's doing.  I was also pointing out that our record with managerial appointments prior to Askey was abysmal.  In all cases fans cried for the manager to go and in all cases we ended up worse off.

The reason we didn't make the play offs last year was nowt to do with Askey and everything to do with covid.  The bloke deserves more time to see if he can do it despite covid this season.

Agree. Askey does deserve the rest of the season but he does need to improve.

Are you saying he was lucky the way it bobbed up to him?  You’ll get folk on here blasting you for suggesting that!!

Yes he was lucky the way it bobbed up to him - which equally means we were unlucky

6 hours ago, osprey said:

I think our biggest loss this year is Gibbons

With him at right back and Clark at left back we are better balanced and offer far more on both sides going forward

I also think Clark had looked a bit shaky defending in the last few games, getting caught out of position

Clark is struggling a little this season.  He doesnt look head and shoulder above Gibbons as he should be doing.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CambridgeDon said:

One of the recurring themes on various threads and again evident in our performance on Saturday is the lack of goals in the side. It seems self apparent to me but I decided to look up the goal scoring record of our midfield players just to see how many goals they have in them. Here is the list, alphabetically and citing the best ever return from any season of their career in all competitions and saying which league club if it wasn't the Vale (and I've not included non-league goals):

Amoo 11 (2013-14, Carlisle)

Burgess 4 (2019-20)

Conlon 3 (2018-19)

Joyce 4 (2014-15, Accy)

McKirdy 11 (2019-20, Carlisle)

Oyeleke 3 (2018-19)

Montano 7 (2018-19)

Whitehead 1 (2020-21)

Worrall 6 (2014-15, Southend)

I used wiki so please feel free to check these figures from another source if they look wrong.

A simplistic analysis like this doesn't tell us everything of course because some of these players are more defensive rather than attacking midfielders but it doesn't tell us nothing, especially when our strikers aren't hitting the net.

Make of it what you will but the simple conclusion I came to was that, short of goals as we are, the players we should be finding a way to accommodate together (injuries permitting) are Amoo, McKirdy, Montano and Worrall. Conversely, it's no good filling the midfield with players who have no record of goal scoring if your defenders and especially your forwards aren't contributing much.

So, to my mind, the sooner we can get these players playing together, the better - especially McKirdy.

Been saying all season with our current squad above and playing 433 and add possibly 5 goals max from the back four our number nine has to score 25 goals for play offs and 35 for promotion. Never going to happen was it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

Anyone watch the Leeds Arsenal game?  Leeds dominated even before Arsenal had a man sent off after 50 minutes. And the red wasn’t for a mistimed challenge attempting to win the ball, it was for a ridiculous head butt.

Leeds had 25 shots 3 of which hit the woodwork including a couple late in the game. Yet the score was 0-0.

Can someone explain what Arsenal did to make their own luck - John Askey would love to know!!

Arsenal were lucky enough to hang on or Leeds were unlucky. It wont happen for them every week. I am fairly certain that,come the end of the season,teams at the top win more games late on and teams at the bottom concede more late on.

Was it good defending by Arsenal or poor finishing by Leeds or LUCK

2 minutes ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Arsenal were lucky enough to hang on or Leeds were unlucky. It wont happen for them every week. I am fairly certain that,come the end of the season,teams at the top win more games late on and teams at the bottom concede more late on.

Was it good defending by Arsenal or poor finishing by Leeds or LUCK

The latter!

3 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

The latter!

As a neutral its easy to pick one or the other. I agree with you on this one.

Yesterdays goal. I do believe we rode our luck a little but the more chances a team has then the more chances of luck falling for them. 96th minute it did fall for them. Anyone want to criticise Burgess for turning his back on the ball and not going with his man Ellison. I wouldnt , to me luck deserted us right at the very end.

Two 96 min goals have cost us two points. Not too costly really. Still up there but its what we do in the next two games that matters now

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Jean, conceding in the 96th yesterday wasn't 'unlucky'. We were distinctly lucky to be at 0-0 going into that corner.

It can't be 'unlucky to concede' but not 'lucky to be drawing after shipping lots of good chances'.

We got what we deserved yesterday - nowt.

1 hour ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Clark is struggling a little this season.  He doesnt look head and shoulder above Gibbons as he should be doing.

He really struggled against the Tranmere winger and hasn't looked the same since to me. Games like that can sap the confidence of some players so perhaps it's just that.  To be honest all the players can be forgiven if they're a bit low on confidence right now, albeit the reason for that being of their own making.

18 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Jean, conceding in the 96th yesterday wasn't 'unlucky'. We were distinctly lucky to be at 0-0 going into that corner.

It can't be 'unlucky to concede' but not 'lucky to be drawing after shipping lots of good chances'.

We got what we deserved yesterday - nowt.

You haven’t answered my question, Joe. What did Arsenal do to make their own luck?

You haven’t answered my question, Joe. What did Arsenal do to make their own luck?
Arsenal and Port Vale both had some luck this weekend, it doesn't really matter does it, stuff happens.

Hope you're doing alright anyway Jacko. Gotta keep on keeping on haven't we.

Onwards.

13 hours ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Agree with the Worral comments but we were hardly dangerous. Couple of half chances that we failed to score and thats it. Wonder if Scunthorpe commentators thought we were dangerous with all the possession.

Do you have any thoughts on the fact that we may have too many strikers for the one role up front. Does it cloud the issue and give too many options when perhaps each one of the four could maybe do with a bigger run in the side

I think Pope being not available at the start forced JA’s hand to some degree.Robbo seemed to be a reasonable replacement.Rodney is slightly more versatile but erratic.Cullen started well ,then got injured,then has been a bit inconsistent.Cullen is the best footballer of the lot and I think will get the goals.At the end of this season i’d suggest only 2 of these  players will still be with us.Cullen /Rodney at home,Robbo/Pope away to  keep everyone fresh may be an alternative?