Match Thread: Newport County v Port Vale

Like Tyler B, I would consider 3-5-2. 

We clearly need more fire power up front. And I also share your thoughts regarding not losing out in the midfield. 

Obviously we will be more vulnerable down our wings on the counter attack but it’s worth trying.

It also gives you the opportunity to use ‘wingers’ rather than ‘wing backs’ if chasing the game or going for the win and you need a more attack minded player.

• Like 2

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The usual over reaction on here We had plenty of chances today and yes we struggle to put them away but for me it was an improvement on Tuesdays game and an attacking set up from Askey when we could

Facts We have lost three league games on the bounce each by a single goal despite playing a considerable time with ten men in two of the games. We still sit just outside the play offs in 9th. So

THIS ISN'T AN ASKEY OUT POST BUT I AM GOING TO BE CRITICAL.  Sick and tired of this football club. The evidence is fairly irrefutable that John Askey's Port Vale concede in the last minute a

Posted Images

I think our biggest loss this year is Gibbons

With him at right back and Clark at left back we are better balanced and offer far more on both sides going forward

I also think Clark had looked a bit shaky defending in the last few games, getting caught out of position

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, osprey said:

I think our biggest loss this year is Gibbons

With him at right back and Clark at left back we are better balanced and offer far more on both sides going forward

I also think Clark had looked a bit shaky defending in the last few games, getting caught out of position

Best 2 full backs in the league on their day IMO. Been saying it for ages. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:

Like Tyler B, I would consider 3-5-2. 

We clearly need more fire power up front. And I also share your thoughts regarding not losing out in the midfield. 

Obviously we will be more vulnerable down our wings on the counter attack but it’s worth trying.

It also gives you the opportunity to use ‘wingers’ rather than ‘wing backs’ if chasing the game or going for the win and you need a more attack minded player.

Monty would be better suited to wing back than he is full back. Clark would be more than competent at it on the other side.

3-5-2 worth a try but don’t see Askey doing it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TylerB said:

I wonder if it's time to try a 3-5-2 formation. We don't lose a body in midfield and we get that extra player up top which we so badly need. Playing off Pope will instantly make the likes of Cullen and Rodney a bigger threat. For the time being we can use Montano and Clark as wing-backs. It means Amoo missing out (he's injured a lot anyway to be fair) and Worrall going into midfield if he's to retain his place.

Brown

Smith

Legge

Brisley

Clarke

Joyce

Oyeleke

Worrall

Montano

Pope

Cullen

Something has to change. We can't keep playing with one up top, it's not working and we are in danger of sliding down the league big time. No point trying to find a place for McKirdy because clearly Askey doesn't quite fancy him despite him being our most creative player potentially.

That’s not a bad shout particularly when we are playing teams with only one up front.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

That’s not a bad shout particularly when we are playing teams with only one up front.

It just makes sense to me. If we have a lead by a couple of goals and want to see a game out you can then take off Pope after he's blowing out of his arse on 60/65 minutes and bring on someone like McKirdy who will strengthen the midfield and still give us a cutting edge going forward. Or you can whip Montano off and put on Fitzgerald to go from a back 3 to a back 5 if you want to be solid for the remainder of the game. This 4-3-2-1 isn't going to work, sides have sussed it out already and none of our forwards are good enough for the role for different reasons. Pope would have been fine 2 or 3 years ago, but not now. And obviously we've also struggled when we've gone to a 4-4-2.

Edited by TylerB

2 hours ago, soothsayer said:

Reality check:

Table at the same point last season. More defeats but more points than last season!

2993FCC4-6BCB-458F-9A4A-82D0AB7E3316.png

How much longer can you keep saying that for then? Remember how good we were at the end of last season. It’s doubtful we would replicate that again. Already nearly lost as many games, and out of the fa cup to kings lynn. The league is much weaker and we are apparently stronger. Worse start than last season. 

• Like 1

One of the recurring themes on various threads and again evident in our performance on Saturday is the lack of goals in the side. It seems self apparent to me but I decided to look up the goal scoring record of our midfield players just to see how many goals they have in them. Here is the list, alphabetically and citing the best ever return from any season of their career in all competitions and saying which league club if it wasn't the Vale (and I've not included non-league goals):

Amoo 11 (2013-14, Carlisle)

Burgess 4 (2019-20)

Conlon 3 (2018-19)

Joyce 4 (2014-15, Accy)

McKirdy 11 (2019-20, Carlisle)

Oyeleke 3 (2018-19)

Montano 7 (2018-19)

Whitehead 1 (2020-21)

Worrall 6 (2014-15, Southend)

I used wiki so please feel free to check these figures from another source if they look wrong.

A simplistic analysis like this doesn't tell us everything of course because some of these players are more defensive rather than attacking midfielders but it doesn't tell us nothing, especially when our strikers aren't hitting the net.

Make of it what you will but the simple conclusion I came to was that, short of goals as we are, the players we should be finding a way to accommodate together (injuries permitting) are Amoo, McKirdy, Montano and Worrall. Conversely, it's no good filling the midfield with players who have no record of goal scoring if your defenders and especially your forwards aren't contributing much.

So, to my mind, the sooner we can get these players playing together, the better - especially McKirdy.

• Like 1

Without wanting to prolong the analysis of Saturdays disappointment, another thing that struck me was the poor game management. Aside from Brown taking a bit longer over goal kicks - why didn’t he keep taking that little bit longer in both games until he got a yellow card? - nobody else seemed capable of finding ways of running the clock down. I didn’t see anybody go down with cramp, or get a mysterious head injury that always seems to happen against us when we’re chasing the game. Even Fitz clearance which lead to the corner, why tap it behind rather than wellying it into row Z??? Again, too ‘nice’ to coin a description used for us, and not enough will, grit, determination, win at all costs mentality about us.

Edited by Biddulph_PV

Anyone watch the Leeds Arsenal game?  Leeds dominated even before Arsenal had a man sent off after 50 minutes. And the red wasn’t for a mistimed challenge attempting to win the ball, it was for a ridiculous head butt.

Leeds had 25 shots 3 of which hit the woodwork including a couple late in the game. Yet the score was 0-0.

Can someone explain what Arsenal did to make their own luck - John Askey would love to know!!

Anyone watch the Leeds Arsenal game?  Leeds dominated even before Arsenal had a man sent off after 50 minutes. And the red wasn’t for a mistimed challenge attempting to win the ball, it was for a ridiculous head butt.
Leeds had 25 shots 3 of which hit the woodwork including a couple late in the game. Yet the score was 0-0.
Can someone explain what Arsenal did to make their own luck - John Askey would love to know!!
For a start off they didn't panic. Vale give everyone the jitters when attempting to defend in those circumstances.

36 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Luck? Luck isn’t the reason we have lost 4 in a row....