Match Thread: Newport County v Port Vale

24 minutes ago, Santa said:

Legge walks that tightrope far too often, especially for a man of his years. I worried about him after his early booking against Southend against a couple of quick young lads but he got away with it. Their lad Labadie was experienced enough to make sure it wasn't going to happen today.

He's bang out of form and even if he was available on Tuesday, Brisley needs to come into the side.

He really does. I nearly put a bet on him to get sent off today after his first yellow card. 

That result is a absolute gutter. I actually expect and equalizer / winning goal against us in injury time in every game. 

• Like 1

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The usual over reaction on here We had plenty of chances today and yes we struggle to put them away but for me it was an improvement on Tuesdays game and an attacking set up from Askey when we could

Facts We have lost three league games on the bounce each by a single goal despite playing a considerable time with ten men in two of the games. We still sit just outside the play offs in 9th. So

THIS ISN'T AN ASKEY OUT POST BUT I AM GOING TO BE CRITICAL.  Sick and tired of this football club. The evidence is fairly irrefutable that John Askey's Port Vale concede in the last minute a

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

You mentioned Southend not Colchester. Who finished in the play offs so scored 12 in a good side with players like nouble. I think pope should get to that tally. Cullen looks off it this season. Rodney very raw so can’t see those two reaching double figures. I’d be shocked if Robinson gets 5 league goals for us. 

Tom has 12 in his last 45 appearances. Several of these were penalties.

Building our attack round a fading 35 year old will not yield the success we crave.  Tom still has a role, but for me now an impact sub.

it may be controversial, but I think Askey should stick with either Robinson or Cullen as his first choice rather than chopping and changing.  It may well be that neither is the answer and an upgrade when Tom’s no doubt sizeable League 2 wage can be added back into the budget and a quality No9 signed.  

Absolute sickener, Vale not getting the run of the ball at all but it will change over the season, Where the hell did the ref get 6 mins from.

All the players gave their all, I only saw the replay of Legg's 2nd yellow card from a distance and it looked harsh to me and gave the ref the opportunity to make the game even more about him.

• Like 6

Advert:

21 minutes ago, grand prix pants said:

Oh, right. Well my point was that maybe Askey couldn’t have done much after the sending off. Ultimately I don’t think he’ll be judged on today. But he will be judged on his failure to bring in a more potent striking option than Mark Cullen. Just my opinion.

Loads of folk on here were pleased when we signed Cullen after his strike rate last season which was about second in the division. 

• Like 1

Same crap from Askey as last match and the match before that.  We do not get the run of the ball, its hard to take.  The players are showing the effort.  We just need to turn the corner.  Hopefully by Christmas we will be in the position of pushing on.  Why does he not make a recording and just give it to the report.

By Christmas we will be settled in mid league and the gap will be wider.  Fans will be calling for his head with more vigor.  You need to make players realise they need to take the blame for stupid tackles and getting sent off.  He also needs to make sure they are more disciplined.

9 minutes ago, onestepatatime said:
19 minutes ago, Conrad said:
Only a 1 game ban, he’ll be back next Saturday.

Not if Brisley does a job on Tuesday.

Not got a problem with Brisley, never lets us down and had a great game today.

• Like 1

I'll leave it with the comment of a well-informed neutral who watched us against Tranmere, and described us as 'nice', which is about the sum of it.
GOALS win games. We haven't got the capacity or personnel to score enough goals. Blatantly obvious last season. Nowt has changed this. We can play all the "nice" tippey tappey football we like BUT we will NOT score enough to get us out of this Division.
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Loads of folk on here were pleased when we signed Cullen after his strike rate last season which was about second in the division. 

Cullen is being played by himself - also other strikers when he is not being used.  The opposing managers know this and just tell their defenders to mark him out of the game - they are willing to put 2 defenders on our striker.  Their manager chat to defenders would probably run along the lines of "Askey only has one tactic and that is hoof the ball into the box.  If we taken Cullen out, he can't score". 

Cullen plays better when he has another striker up front with him.  He is not a 1 striker player and needs better service/help from other Vale players when he is played by himself.  He does a lot of running off the ball, but just gets bullied off the ball in the box.

• Like 1

Advert:

4 minutes ago, onestepatatime said:
15 minutes ago, Joe B said:
I'll leave it with the comment of a well-informed neutral who watched us against Tranmere, and described us as 'nice', which is about the sum of it.

GOALS win games. We haven't got the capacity or personnel to score enough goals. Blatantly obvious last season. Nowt has changed this. We can play all the "nice" tippey tappey football we like BUT we will NOT score enough to get us out of this Division.

Our strikers wont score many, as they are played up front by themselves and opposing managers just put 2 defenders on them.

I’m losing confidence In the Askey project I’m afraid to say.

We have not learned a single thing from last year when conceding late goals was also our Achilles heel and ultimately cost us big time.

Again we’ve failed to score from open play. Again we’ve questioned the team (Cullen loan striker). Again the substitutions (Legge was always going to get a 2nd yellow so should have been protected). We just are not learning.

I agree that some senior players are seriously, seriously letting him and the club down but I think anything other than a win vs Stevenage to try and get the season back on track and I’ll be in the ‘out’ camp. 

Advert:

30 minutes ago, PortVale4Life said:

legge should have been nowhere near that team. He shouldve been dropped weeks ago. Robinson. Is askey taking the mic? He’s proven he’s no good up front so now we’re trying him out wide when we have one of the best players in the league sat warming the bench again.

If you thought Robinson was playing out wide I suggest you watch the match again. Rodney had gone quite and looked like he over stretched for the ball so was taken off quickly.Robinson took up that position simply to defend the throw in which they had. We actually went positive to play 442 to win the game with Cullen dropping a little deeper to pick up Dolan coming out with the ball but the sending off obviously changed that plan.

What Robinson actually did was provide us with some height defending corners and he ran the channels from a central position chasing lost causing. Don't know what more you would expect from Robinson in that situation.