onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Newport County v Port Vale

Fosse69

Guest Vale at home
9 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Indeed we have, Rory.  You don't divorce your missus because she's made you a couple of bad meals!

I do think Mr Askey . Must apologise to all port vale fans . When asked by Phil Bowers . On P-G .. What do you think about what Port vales Fans Are Thinking about the 3 Loss games . Mr Askey said I don’t Listen. And I do not read what they put ..  MrAskey . Made me. Angry. .. As  all. our wonderful vale fan Do care ..   what he thinks .  Vale fans are True fans . And Carol as done a Brilliant   for vale . And as all the fans  vale have . Fans have Brought seasons tickets. And spent. Hard earned money in the club shop . 

Advert

I do think Mr Askey . Must apologise to all port vale fans . When asked by Phil Bowers . On P-G .. What do you think about what Port vales Fans Are Thinking about the 3 Loss games . Mr Askey said I don’t Listen. And I do not read what they put ..  MrAskey . Made me. Angry. .. As  all. our wonderful vale fan Do care ..   what he thinks .  Vale fans are True fans . And Carol as done a Brilliant   for vale . And as all the fans  vale have . Fans have Brought seasons tickets. And spent. Hard earned money in the club shop . 
You need a new keyboard, or at least to clean it

Guest Vale at home
10 minutes ago, philmpv said:

You need a new keyboard, or at least to clean it emoji38.png

You are not a TRUE vale fan then . If so please explain. And you must earn your money easily . 

Guest Vale at home
14 minutes ago, philmpv said:
21 minutes ago, Vale at home said:
You are not a TRUE vale fan then . If so please explain. And you must earn your money easily . 

I'm not even going to pretend I can make any sense of that!

May be you don’t ?   My keyboard  is very clean . And up to date . Thank you .  Let’s say no more .. 

13 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

You haven’t answered my question, Joe. What did Arsenal do to make their own luck?

Arsenal got lucky yesterday, and lucky results happen in football. They are, however, currently 11th in the league with a far larger wage budget than 14-15 other sides. This suggests that, whilst lucky points may be picked up, they're fundamentally not playing well and cannot rely on these sort of performances moving forward.

My argument was that we were not unlucky on Saturday, in that we got precisely what our performance deserved. Whether their goal came in the 96th minute or at any other point, they had far too many chances and eventually one could drop as we failed to prevent them creating chances. Furthermore, the late nature of the winner would be less disappointing if it wasn't so blimin' predictable, as this squad, within the last fortnight alone, has showed a consistent propensity to make questionable decisions when there is some pressure, continuing a trend that has been steady for the last 18ish months.

We may have been on the end of 'bad luck' recently, but we don't do enough to mitigate the inevitable chance occurrences football throws up. We don't create anywhere near enough chances, and depend far too much on our excellent goalkeeper at the other end (which is fine, that's what he's paid to do, but I'd rather he had far less to do than he did on Saturday, even prior to Legge's dismissal).

We've delved into a more philosophical debate on the nature of chance/luck in success, so I'll summarise my view; yes, an argument can be made that we have had an 'unlucky' set of results, but we aren't playing anywhere near well enough to mitigate the chance occurrences that are part and parcel of football. If we played well and lost in the 96th, I'd agree, but we didn't.

We need to improve performance levels ASAP if Carol's target of top 7 is to be met. 

The reason I asked the question, Joe, is because I get rather sick of hearing fans say "you make you're own luck".  It totally ignores the random aspect of luck which we saw in the Arsenal game.  You don't always lose because you deserve to lose and you don't always win because you deserve to.  Luck plays a significant part in a lot of games and I'm afraid you'll never convince me differently.

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

The reason I asked the question, Joe, is because I get rather sick of hearing fans say "you make you're own luck".  It totally ignores the random aspect of luck which we saw in the Arsenal game.  You don't always lose because you deserve to lose and you don't always win because you deserve to.  Luck plays a significant part in a lot of games and I'm afraid you'll never convince me differently.

I fully agree but you need to do things to mitigate how much of an impact luck has. "Making your own luck" is probably the wrong phrase to use; "play well enough in facets of play you can control to reduce the impact of luck" would be better.

A lot of 'finishing' is down to luck; millimetres either way, the goalkeeper's being mid-bounce as you shoot, a bobble. You mitigate this by creating a lot of good quality chances, thereby reducing the risk of luck leaving you with nothing.

Same goes at the other end; their goal was slightly fortuitous but when you create as many good chances as they did, you increase the probability one lands to your experienced forward three yards out. To reduce this risk, you restrict the opposition from having lots of good chances, in turn reducing the risk of Kevin Ellison hammering home.

In the last few games we simply haven't done the above; we haven't created enough and haven't stopped the opposition creating, bar the Scunny game. In that game, we didn't create anywhere near enough to mitigate them scoring a fluke.

Luck exists, but good teams do enough to manage it. At present, we're not, and getting punished for it. It is better, in my view, to identify and rectify what we're doing wrong, rather than bemoan the uncontrollable luck and praying it starts being kinder to us.

If you think managers read fans forums or listen to P&G then I have say you are living in cloud cuckoo land,they don't need to do either, he knows exactly what fans are thinking and will be hurting as much as we are, are you suggesting that Askey doesn't care ?

On 22/11/2020 at 15:21, valiant_593 said:

How much longer can you keep saying that for then? Remember how good we were at the end of last season. It’s doubtful we would replicate that again. Already nearly lost as many games, and out of the fa cup to kings lynn. The league is much weaker and we are apparently stronger. Worse start than last season. 

I’ll keep pointing it out because it a fact. Your comment that it’s a worse start than last season is an opinion. There’s difference.

Time will tell if we’ve improved this season as we either finish 7th or above or get more points than last season. My biggest disappointment is we didn’t recruit the quality striker that we lacked last season. If we had Vaughan from Tranmere, for example, it would turn the draws into wins and defeats into draws.

Archived