onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Newport County v Port Vale

Fosse69

33 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

That’s not a bad shout particularly when we are playing teams with only one up front.

It just makes sense to me. If we have a lead by a couple of goals and want to see a game out you can then take off Pope after he's blowing out of his arse on 60/65 minutes and bring on someone like McKirdy who will strengthen the midfield and still give us a cutting edge going forward. Or you can whip Montano off and put on Fitzgerald to go from a back 3 to a back 5 if you want to be solid for the remainder of the game. This 4-3-2-1 isn't going to work, sides have sussed it out already and none of our forwards are good enough for the role for different reasons. Pope would have been fine 2 or 3 years ago, but not now. And obviously we've also struggled when we've gone to a 4-4-2.

Advert

2 hours ago, soothsayer said:

Reality check:

Table at the same point last season. More defeats but more points than last season!

2993FCC4-6BCB-458F-9A4A-82D0AB7E3316.png

How much longer can you keep saying that for then? Remember how good we were at the end of last season. It’s doubtful we would replicate that again. Already nearly lost as many games, and out of the fa cup to kings lynn. The league is much weaker and we are apparently stronger. Worse start than last season. 

One of the recurring themes on various threads and again evident in our performance on Saturday is the lack of goals in the side. It seems self apparent to me but I decided to look up the goal scoring record of our midfield players just to see how many goals they have in them. Here is the list, alphabetically and citing the best ever return from any season of their career in all competitions and saying which league club if it wasn't the Vale (and I've not included non-league goals):

Amoo 11 (2013-14, Carlisle)

Burgess 4 (2019-20)

Conlon 3 (2018-19)

Joyce 4 (2014-15, Accy)

McKirdy 11 (2019-20, Carlisle)

Oyeleke 3 (2018-19)

Montano 7 (2018-19)

Whitehead 1 (2020-21)

Worrall 6 (2014-15, Southend)

I used wiki so please feel free to check these figures from another source if they look wrong.

A simplistic analysis like this doesn't tell us everything of course because some of these players are more defensive rather than attacking midfielders but it doesn't tell us nothing, especially when our strikers aren't hitting the net.

Make of it what you will but the simple conclusion I came to was that, short of goals as we are, the players we should be finding a way to accommodate together (injuries permitting) are Amoo, McKirdy, Montano and Worrall. Conversely, it's no good filling the midfield with players who have no record of goal scoring if your defenders and especially your forwards aren't contributing much.

So, to my mind, the sooner we can get these players playing together, the better - especially McKirdy.

Without wanting to prolong the analysis of Saturdays disappointment, another thing that struck me was the poor game management. Aside from Brown taking a bit longer over goal kicks - why didn’t he keep taking that little bit longer in both games until he got a yellow card? - nobody else seemed capable of finding ways of running the clock down. I didn’t see anybody go down with cramp, or get a mysterious head injury that always seems to happen against us when we’re chasing the game. Even Fitz clearance which lead to the corner, why tap it behind rather than wellying it into row Z??? Again, too ‘nice’ to coin a description used for us, and not enough will, grit, determination, win at all costs mentality about us.

Anyone watch the Leeds Arsenal game?  Leeds dominated even before Arsenal had a man sent off after 50 minutes. And the red wasn’t for a mistimed challenge attempting to win the ball, it was for a ridiculous head butt.

Leeds had 25 shots 3 of which hit the woodwork including a couple late in the game. Yet the score was 0-0.

Can someone explain what Arsenal did to make their own luck - John Askey would love to know!!

Anyone watch the Leeds Arsenal game?  Leeds dominated even before Arsenal had a man sent off after 50 minutes. And the red wasn’t for a mistimed challenge attempting to win the ball, it was for a ridiculous head butt.
Leeds had 25 shots 3 of which hit the woodwork including a couple late in the game. Yet the score was 0-0.
Can someone explain what Arsenal did to make their own luck - John Askey would love to know!!
For a start off they didn't panic. Vale give everyone the jitters when attempting to defend in those circumstances.

36 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Luck? Luck isn’t the reason we have lost 4 in a row.... 

9 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

The Taylor issue is hardly Askey's fault.  Forest messed about for ages apparently with, I am told, a number of clubs after him.  The story is they would only let him go to a club who would pay all his wages. This is hearsay but from a decent source. Bear in mind he signed a new much improved contract during last season and his wages were considerably higher than we had paid when he came at the beginning of last season.  All of the clubs baulked at paying that but Scunny decided to do so - they have a very large wage bill with some players having their wages capped for for EFL rules at £68,000 despite being paid considerably more than that.  Sproson commented on the Scunny commentary about how big Van Veen's salary was.  Taylor has since played six games for them and they've lost them all.  I very much doubt Taylor is happy there.

Askeys failing in the Taylir issue is that we have no one in midfield who is likely to be a consistent goalscorer. If we needed Taylor and failed to get him then we should have replaced him with more goals.

9 hours ago, Howjy04 said:

I think we will see the best of this side when Joyce,Conlon and Manny are our midfield three,on a regular basis, with Manny getting forward more.Wozza murdered their right back in the first half but had to swop wings after the sending off.Their commentators remarked how dangerous we were on the break.That changed ,unfortunately.There has been too many changes up front.One striker,as is JA’s preference,should play every week.Cullen ,whose first touch is normally very good would be my preference.Robbo would get better with games.Rodney needs a bit more coaching and needs to calm down.Popey is ,now ,a 20 minute sub when we are winning.The lack of goals is a concern but I think playing Manny further forward will create better and more chances.

Agree with the Worral comments but we were hardly dangerous. Couple of half chances that we failed to score and thats it. Wonder if Scunthorpe commentators thought we were dangerous with all the possession.

Do you have any thoughts on the fact that we may have too many strikers for the one role up front. Does it cloud the issue and give too many options when perhaps each one of the four could maybe do with a bigger run in the side

9 hours ago, pete vale said:

I didn't watch the game yesterday but to be honest when listening on radio Stoke you just knew a goal was on the cards at any time.

To me, expectation is and should be high in what when all said and done is a mediocre league, perhaps even more so with Covid budget restrictions.

i believe that Askey has been backed with the exception of Maynard (who may never have intended coming to Vale anyway - just playing them).

That said, even in the early game weeks the problems were there for all to see.

1) No one has replaced Tom Pope and he still is our No1 striker

2) We lack creativity and aggression in midfield. too much side to side, no forward cutting passes. pedestrian.

3) Playing Worrall, Amoo, Mckiirdy, Montano or whoever wide often results in no end result with no defined target man. Lots of effort - no end result.

4) We appear set up "not to lose" like a low budget side hanging on for results, this works away but home form and tactics are appalling.

5) The squad is again made up of like-type players, quantity over quality

I would appreciate the opinion of someone like Micky Adams on the set up.

"We should do better, we can do better, we need to do better"  should replace "Want, Need, Expect" on the shirts

Thats exactly how i see it and you dont need too many stats to back it up. Watch the Vale for 90 mins each week and the answers are there to be seen.

Archived