onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Newport County v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

Just now, Aguar61 said:

That's the problem Jacki,he's only showing the slightest of signs that he knows what he's doing!

I put it that way to stop people like you jumping on me for just saying he knows what he's doing.  I was also pointing out that our record with managerial appointments prior to Askey was abysmal.  In all cases fans cried for the manager to go and in all cases we ended up worse off.

The reason we didn't make the play offs last year was nowt to do with Askey and everything to do with covid.  The bloke deserves more time to see if he can do it despite covid this season.

1 hour ago, soothsayer said:

Reality check:

Table at the same point last season. More defeats but more points than last season!

2993FCC4-6BCB-458F-9A4A-82D0AB7E3316.png

People keep saying this. But we lost 2 of our last 17, do you see this happening this time around ? 

Last season is irrelevant it's the here and now and sadly we are mediocre. Yesterday was galling but the reality was they created bucket loads of chances. 

People keep saying this. But we lost 2 of our last 17, do you see this happening this time around ? 
Last season is irrelevant it's the here and now and sadly we are mediocre. Yesterday was galling but the reality was they created bucket loads of chances. 

To be honest didn’t see it happening last year that we would lose just 2 in 17 ( be very surprised if anyone else did either ) - so you never know

Just now, osprey said:

To be honest didn’t see it happening last year that we would lose just 2 in 17 ( be very surprised if anyone else did either ) - so you never know

Of course mate none of us do. 

We grew as a team though last year. There's no growing with this team as it's pretty much the same one seemingly going stale. 

Would of been better if we'd come 12th last season because people like myself wouldn't of expected so much. 

And Carol was quoted as saying we won't be 8th again 😂

3 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

The reason we didn't make the play offs last year was nowt to do with Askey and everything to do with covid.  

Not sure I agree.

This season already we’ve conceded 4 goals after the 90th minute of league games. In the last week that has cost us 4 points.

Last season we conceded in or after the 90th minute in games against Salford, Orient, Mansfield, Scunthorpe and dropped 8 points as a result. 

I would suggest that it is happening too frequently to chalk up to pure chance.

Askey does deserve time to turn it round but he needs to do so quickly.

Like Tyler B, I would consider 3-5-2. 

We clearly need more fire power up front. And I also share your thoughts regarding not losing out in the midfield. 

Obviously we will be more vulnerable down our wings on the counter attack but it’s worth trying.

It also gives you the opportunity to use ‘wingers’ rather than ‘wing backs’ if chasing the game or going for the win and you need a more attack minded player.

I think our biggest loss this year is Gibbons

With him at right back and Clark at left back we are better balanced and offer far more on both sides going forward

I also think Clark had looked a bit shaky defending in the last few games, getting caught out of position

3 minutes ago, osprey said:

I think our biggest loss this year is Gibbons

With him at right back and Clark at left back we are better balanced and offer far more on both sides going forward

I also think Clark had looked a bit shaky defending in the last few games, getting caught out of position

Best 2 full backs in the league on their day IMO. Been saying it for ages. 

8 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:

Like Tyler B, I would consider 3-5-2. 

We clearly need more fire power up front. And I also share your thoughts regarding not losing out in the midfield. 

Obviously we will be more vulnerable down our wings on the counter attack but it’s worth trying.

It also gives you the opportunity to use ‘wingers’ rather than ‘wing backs’ if chasing the game or going for the win and you need a more attack minded player.

Monty would be better suited to wing back than he is full back. Clark would be more than competent at it on the other side.

3-5-2 worth a try but don’t see Askey doing it.

1 hour ago, TylerB said:

I wonder if it's time to try a 3-5-2 formation. We don't lose a body in midfield and we get that extra player up top which we so badly need. Playing off Pope will instantly make the likes of Cullen and Rodney a bigger threat. For the time being we can use Montano and Clark as wing-backs. It means Amoo missing out (he's injured a lot anyway to be fair) and Worrall going into midfield if he's to retain his place.

Brown

Smith

Legge

Brisley

Clarke

Joyce

Oyeleke

Worrall

Montano

Pope

Cullen

Something has to change. We can't keep playing with one up top, it's not working and we are in danger of sliding down the league big time. No point trying to find a place for McKirdy because clearly Askey doesn't quite fancy him despite him being our most creative player potentially.

That’s not a bad shout particularly when we are playing teams with only one up front.

Archived