onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Newport County v Port Vale

Fosse69

Overall today we were masters of our own downfall. Too many players miles off it.  Many of Newports better chances fell from our own unforced errors.  Some of our passing, and throw ins, were beyond bad.  Straight to an opponent.  Worse than Sunday League stuff.  The odd misplaced pass is part and parcel but it was continuous, like watching a pub team.  Then add Legges sending off, where it's  his own bad touch leading to him making the challenge for the 2nd booking.  Finally Fitz either doesn't get a shout, or ignores any shout, and shanks the ball for a corner.  People can say what they like aout the manager but the players have got to be far better.  Only 4 or 5 can say they were worth a 7/10 today.  Of those Brown was excellent again.

Advert

I would be surprised if we turned this around sufficiently to finish in the play offs now. Not amazed as this league is dire, but surprised, whoever the manager is, solely on the basis that whatever tactical changes we make going forward, the recruitment this summer was not good enough.
We failed to replace Jake Taylors energy and goals tally. 
It is not Askey or Carols fault that we missed out on Maynard as he was offered a good deal. I will say though that my 'here is what you could have won' disappointment when Robinson was announced instead has yet to evaporate.
I have been saying it for several weeks now that Legge scares me. Very early on in September I had a bad feeling he was going to be a liability this season but cba saying it as I expected it would draw a load of moaning. He's over the hill, he's slow, he gets turned too easily, he's going to cost us goals. He has the brain of a 35 very experienced centre half but when he can't match it physically, for all the good his positioning and decision making does, he will eventually get caught short. It seems to happen every game now, either getting turned and left for dead or making a stupid challenge. Let's be honest, this isn't a surprise. It was Legge that got jumped far too easily by 5"8 George Miller for an injury time equaliser against Scunthorpe that cost us a play off place in March. 
The manager is now actively plssing me off for two reasons, namely his inability and reluctance to change a game with substitutions, and the lunacy of hoofing it to a 5"7 ginger up front on his own and expecting him to do anything with it.
We are pedestrian, haggard, robotic, laboured. Yet again, we saw the joga bonito footballismo tactic today of trying to walk the bstard thing into the net when the passer had a shot on inside the box but bottled it and went for a stupid through ball instead that is mopped up oh so easily. WHY. This happens so consistently that they must be being told to do this by the coaching staff. 
I cannot help but feel disappointed that Askey is letting Carol down, in the sense of despite CV19 and the huge financial losses, she backed him. Maynard was offered a very good deal. Money was made available despite the catastrophic conditions. And yet so far this season we're going backwards very rapidly. 

I couldn't agree anymore, fantastic post

Lets try and keep things in perspective, if we hadn't conceded in the very last few seconds we would have held the team who have a superb home record and top of the league, had we had been say in the top 8 we would have been delighted with a point, the headline tonight would have been, we have stopped the rot.

That does not excuse the current malaise that seems to have hit the team at the moment, the saying goes, it's how you respond to setbacks that defines you, Askey cannot escape criticism, some of the substitutions have been poor, especially against Tranmere.

In my opinion, he has the instruments in the box, but can he get a tune out of them ? I would have thought so, but once confidence gets a knock, it's hard to get back on track.

The question is, will Askey be capable and bold enough to push for promotion? As it stands I'm regretfully doubtful, will Askey hold a middle of the table position flirting with the play offs, I think yes. 

Obviously, it goes without saying ,the next few games are key.

I love the boys but Micky Adams called this a while back the soft underbelly and poor game management, everyone involved are good people but we need to win! Time to call the Micker for advice, he has 4 promos to his name, no slouch, I don't want to sack the managers they have done some good stuff.. Sharing is caring for a better result!

All these fancy modern formations and tactics really annoy me and are the root cause of boring and clueless performances and are used because we have so many players who can’t do a job who need covering. We need players strong enough to play 442 and let teams worry about us instead of trying to hold onto a game.

gutted newport came flying out the blocks but we soaked up everything we did and then we pushed them back and had the best chances of the first half, 2nd half started in the same way but nobody really looked clinical but the longer the gsme went on i thought we might well pinch the win, but for the 2nd weekend on the bounce a silly sending off as cost us again. long way to go though but these last 3 league defeats hurt alot but lets see how the season goes

"Football isn't played on a spreadsheet" "If it's 3.4 why did they also score 1?" "You can't score 0.4 of a goal"

Thought I'd get that out of the way before the original, intellectual jokers arrived.

To make it clear 'expected goals' is just a way of measuring how good a chance is. Think of it as 'how good a chance was on a scale of 1-10, and then added up'. It just measures if you created good chances or not.

xG from yesterday. Not pretty. 

1748021885_Screenshot2020-11-22at08_19_01.thumb.png.61c14b0dcaa35e03d49b254fcd489261.png

We got absolutely battered in terms of chances created yesterday. We created absolutely nothing after the 32nd minute. 2.0+ of the 3.4+ xG we conceded was prior to Legge's sending off on 68.

We had a good spell from 15 to about 33 but after that might as well as have not bothered. Keeping a clean sheet would have been a miracle. In football, you simply cannot concede that many chances and expect to gain anything.

Askey bemoaned the luck of it 'ricocheting' off someone and falling to Ellison, but when you're giving the opposition this many chances, in a game as random as football, you're setting yourself up to concede.

I didn't think we were that good yesterday and people only cooed about us being 'better' as we'd been so turgid in the last 3 games. We were getting pummelled before Legge's dismissal, specifically in the 10 minutes before half time.

You don't win games shipping these sorts of numbers, even before the red, and you certainly don't win promotion with it.

I think it's really difficult to argue we had the best chance of the first half. These should have been buried. Two magnificent saves from Brown + a block from Monty kept it level, whilst Cullen and Worrall's could have been saved by a statue and had defenders blocking the way. You don't go up conceding these chances with 11 men on the field. Brown can't be a hero 46 times a season.

1350812194_Screenshot2020-11-22at08_26_38.thumb.png.51e4dbddcfe1b9292cbe0be05beede8b.png1577589689_Screenshot2020-11-22at08_27_27.thumb.png.736378939bccec4f6c19f22272853410.png1214232307_Screenshot2020-11-22at08_31_41.thumb.png.5958f0a08dd6902c116518736478360c.png

Unless we are on the verge of a relegation battle, I would stick with Askey. Even if it means a mid table finish. I would be reluctant to sack a manager mid-season. If it was a mid table/low table finish then I would review things/change things at the end of the season or ‘during the last few games of the season’. Maybe more suitable managers available at that time?

For me, as long as we’re not in a relegation battle, it’s better the devil you know. Askey has shown he can lead us to the door of the play offs and we have (on paper) a decent squad. Yes, new managers can give new momentum sometimes but they usually need time to settle in and make an impact.

I feel like Askey (if things don’t improve playing the current system) needs to find a new way of playing. Like he did when he took over from Aspin. However, these things will take time, which we possibly don’t have if we want promotion.

Also, I feel we need another central midfielder in January as don’t have enough cover etc.

14 hours ago, WV said:

Is it a case of poor player scouting by Askey or owners not wanting to pay the right money for the right players? 

Disappointed to lose again today. Questions must be asked. 

Money has been available more than a lot of clubs infact,so it wont be due to lack of backing from the owners thats for sure

Unless we are on the verge of a relegation battle, I would stick with Askey. Even if it means a mid table finish. I would be reluctant to sack a manager mid-season. If it was a mid table/low table finish then I would review things/change things at the end of the season or ‘during the last few games of the season’. Maybe more suitable managers available at that time?
For me, as long as we’re not in a relegation battle, it’s better the devil you know. Askey has shown he can lead us to the door of the play offs and we have (on paper) a decent squad. Yes, new managers can give new momentum sometimes but they usually need time to settle in and make an impact.
I feel like Askey (if things don’t improve playing the current system) needs to find a new way of playing. Like he did when he took over from Aspin. However, these things will take time, which we possibly don’t have if we want promotion.
Also, I feel we need another central midfielder in January as don’t have enough cover etc.

We simply can’t keep writing-off seasons part way through and settling for mid-table comfort. What is the point in even watching any sport under that mentality?

Getting fans back into football after covid will be a battle for most clubs including ours. Some fans will be wary, some sadly won’t be with us anymore, some won’t go if they can’t go the pub and a lot simply will have lost interest. It’s therefore imperative that when the gates are flung open that the offerings on the pitch match the enthusiasm and progress made off the pitch. Under Askey it won’t.

Archived