onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Newport County v Port Vale

Fosse69

Without googling and only counting league games ( I'm not interested in Wigan reserves or Liverpool under 8's ) .

Am I correct in thinking our leading scorer is on 2 ? 

Cullen , Conlon, Pope, Rodney 

All on 2 goals, 2 of those were braces . 

If I'm correct that is pretty disgraceful regardless of whether we've had loads of different scorers or not. 

Advert

59 minutes ago, Alan Baker said:

To preserve my sanity, I rarely read or post on here but any manager who has overseen the sort of cak we have watched over the last 3 weeks would be under massive pressure.

The fact that the forward line is worse than last year says a lot about Askey’s transfer business.

That said, he must have a safer job than that guy who visits on 25th December 

Miss your sanity and your humour and your knowledge too.

Your replacement isnt too bad though !!

5 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Without googling and only counting league games ( I'm not interested in Wigan reserves or Liverpool under 8's ) .

If I'm correct that is pretty disgraceful regardless of whether we've had loads of different scorers or not. 

Newport’s leading scorer is on 3. 

3 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Are you saying he shouldn't have selected Legge or brought on Fitzpatrick as sub?

Yeah. Legge shouldn’t be playing 2 games in a week I think most would agree with that. The current format of football is not the standard layout and doesn’t help older players like legge. And in my opinion Monty is at his most effective operating from full back so I would have bought mckirdy on. Maybe try tactically to be positive. Either way we lost to another late goal which has been a constant theme of Askeys tenure. 

2 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Newport’s leading scorer is on 3. 

Couldn't give a rat's backside about Newport really. 

However I'm sure you are aware they have scored in every single league game so can get away with it. 

We have on the other hand failed to score in 5/13 . 

9 minutes ago, Doha said:

We scored 83 goals the last time MA was in L2. Streets ahead of this turgid 1 shot a game <ovf censored>. 

The MA dinosaur or poor football was a bizarre analogy by some fans. 

Anyone who was at Fleetwood away and the Rotherham home games would say that they are some of the most exciting games in the last decade. Also smashed Plymouth, Bristol Rovers and Burton. 

Yet it was crap according to some. 

I would be surprised if we turned this around sufficiently to finish in the play offs now. Not amazed as this league is dire, but surprised, whoever the manager is, solely on the basis that whatever tactical changes we make going forward, the recruitment this summer was not good enough.

We failed to replace Jake Taylors energy and goals tally. 

It is not Askey or Carols fault that we missed out on Maynard as he was offered a good deal. I will say though that my 'here is what you could have won' disappointment when Robinson was announced instead has yet to evaporate.

I have been saying it for several weeks now that Legge scares me. Very early on in September I had a bad feeling he was going to be a liability this season but cba saying it as I expected it would draw a load of moaning. He's over the hill, he's slow, he gets turned too easily, he's going to cost us goals. He has the brain of a 35 very experienced centre half but when he can't match it physically, for all the good his positioning and decision making does, he will eventually get caught short. It seems to happen every game now, either getting turned and left for dead or making a stupid challenge. Let's be honest, this isn't a surprise. It was Legge that got jumped far too easily by 5"8 George Miller for an injury time equaliser against Scunthorpe that cost us a play off place in March. 

The manager is now actively plssing me off for two reasons, namely his inability and reluctance to change a game with substitutions, and the lunacy of hoofing it to a 5"7 ginger up front on his own and expecting him to do anything with it.

We are pedestrian, haggard, robotic, laboured. Yet again, we saw the joga bonito footballismo tactic today of trying to walk the bstard thing into the net when the passer had a shot on inside the box but bottled it and went for a stupid through ball instead that is mopped up oh so easily. WHY. This happens so consistently that they must be being told to do this by the coaching staff. 

I cannot help but feel disappointed that Askey is letting Carol down, in the sense of despite CV19 and the huge financial losses, she backed him. Maynard was offered a very good deal. Money was made available despite the catastrophic conditions. And yet so far this season we're going backwards very rapidly. 

1 minute ago, Doha said:

I would be surprised if we turned this around sufficiently to finish in the play offs now. Not amazed as this league is dire, but surprised, whoever the manager is, solely on the basis that whatever tactical changes we make going forward, the recruitment this summer was not good enough.

We failed to replace Jake Taylors energy and goals tally. 

It is not Askey or Carols fault that we missed out on Maynard as he was offered a good deal. I will say though that my 'here is what you could have won' disappointment when Robinson was announced instead has yet to evaporate.

I have been saying it for several weeks now that Legge scares me. Very early on in September I had a bad feeling he was going to be a liability this season but cba saying it as I expected it would draw a load of moaning. He's over the hill, he's slow, he gets turned too easily, he's going to cost us goals. He has the brain of a 35 very experienced centre half but when he can't match it physically, for all the good his positioning and decision making does, he will eventually get caught short. It seems to happen every game now, either getting turned and left for dead or making a stupid challenge. Let's be honest, this isn't a surprise. It was Legge that got jumped far too easily by 5"8 George Miller for an injury time equaliser against Scunthorpe that cost us a play off place in March. 

The manager is now actively plssing me off for two reasons, namely his inability and reluctance to change a game with substitutions, and the lunacy of hoofing it to a 5"7 ginger up front on his own and expecting him to do anything with it.

We are pedestrian, haggard, robotic, laboured. Yet again, we saw the joga bonito footballismo tactic today of trying to walk the bstard thing into the net when the passer had a shot on inside the box but bottled it and went for a stupid through ball instead that is mopped up oh so easily. WHY. This happens so consistently that they must be being told to do this by the coaching staff. 

I cannot help but feel disappointed that Askey is letting Carol down, in the sense of despite CV19 and the huge financial losses, she backed him. Maynard was offered a very good deal. Money was made available despite the catastrophic conditions. And yet so far this season we're going backwards very rapidly. 

Was it Askey's fault Maynard pissed us about and turned down our deal to stay at Mansfield?  He's scored 2 so far this season by the way and been in and out of their team.

30 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Yeah. That’s an attrocious stat really. Players and staff should be pretty embarrassed with it. Although with how little we create and how poor the finishing as been, it’s not a surprise 

1 minute ago, dantheman said:

Yeah. Legge shouldn’t be playing 2 games in a week I think most would agree with that. The current format of football is not the standard layout and doesn’t help older players like legge. And in my opinion Monty is at his most effective operating from full back so I would have bought mckirdy on. Maybe try tactically to be positive. Either way we lost to another late goal which has been a constant theme of Askeys tenure. 

Doesn’t seem to have done 41 year old Kevin Ellison (yes, really) any harm!!

But you’re right re Legge, he’s had mistakes in his game for weeks because he basically played week in/week out for 12 months.

I predicted he wouldn’t see the 90 mins out  (along with us not scoring, nor keeping a clean sheet, and Ellison scoring I should add!) because he is a rugged CB who goes to ground very easily (I did it in fact about 5 mins after is first yellow but just got the ball) and silo is different from others on bookings. 

So bearing in mind he was walking a tightrope and should arguably have been left out anyway, I do attach a certain amount of blame to Askey for not making a change, especially when Brisley has shown himself to be a more than capable replacement and was very good when he came on.

My team for Tuesday, not that I’m intending watching, would be:

Brown

Smith-Brisley-Crookes

Clarke-Burgess-Manny-Worrall-Monty

McKirdy-Cullen/Robinson

Not that I think there’s a hope in Hell he’ll play it, I’m sticking my neck out for 3.5.2 / 5.3.2 which will allow Askey keep his favoured 3 in centre midfield and with McKirdy giving some much needed support to the front (hard to choose as Cullen and Robinson are as bad as each other). In addition, if Stevenage are anything like how they’ve been in the past, there will be lots of high balls and set pieces to defend, and let’s face it, set plays seem to be the only way we can score these days so why not have another CB in the mixer. 

As I say, anything less than 3 points will be unacceptable in my mind.

Just now, Jacko51 said:

Was it Askey's fault Maynard pissed us about and turned down our deal to stay at Mansfield?  He's scored 2 so far this season by the way and been in and out of their team.

No, which is why I said

6 minutes ago, Doha said:

It is not Askey or Carols fault that we missed out on Maynard as he was offered a good deal.

Regardless, I think we all know which name we'd rather see on the subs bench.

Just now, Biddulph_PV said:

Doesn’t seem to have done 41 year old Kevin Ellison (yes, really) any harm!!

But you’re right re Legge, he’s had mistakes in his game for weeks because he basically played week in/week out for 12 months.

I predicted he wouldn’t see the 90 mins out  (along with us not scoring, nor keeping a clean sheet, and Ellison scoring I should add!) because he is a rugged CB who goes to ground very easily (I did it in fact about 5 mins after is first yellow but just got the ball) and silo is different from others on bookings. 

So bearing in mind he was walking a tightrope and should arguably have been left out anyway, I do attach a certain amount of blame to Askey for not making a change, especially when Brisley has shown himself to be a more than capable replacement and was very good when he came on.

My team for Tuesday, not that I’m intending watching, would be:

Brown

Smith-Brisley-Crookes

Clarke-Burgess-Manny-Worrall-Monty

McKirdy-Cullen/Robinson

Not that I think there’s a hope in Hell he’ll play it, I’m sticking my neck out for 3.5.2 / 5.3.2 which will allow Askey keep his favoured 3 in centre midfield and with McKirdy giving some much needed support to the front (hard to choose as Cullen and Robinson are as bad as each other). In addition, if Stevenage are anything like how they’ve been in the past, there will be lots of high balls and set pieces to defend, and let’s face it, set plays seem to be the only way we can score these days so why not have another CB in the mixer. 

As I say, anything less than 3 points will be unacceptable in my mind.

Erm...didn’t start the game? 

Archived