onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Newport County v Port Vale

Fosse69

6 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Adams was pretty unique. A manager who came to Vale having managed big clubs in the top division, yet also had huge knowledge of the lower leagues. 

Come to think of it, it was very sad how his career ended, in anonymity managing in Ireland. He deserved better. 

I do miss him and watching Askey recently with his dour stuff makes me miss Adams’s chippy, sometimes arrogant responses to media questioning and the like. He had balls and determination. Something I just don’t see in Askey. 

Looking back my biggest regret is that too many fans turned on Adams when things got rough, when in fact it should have been directed at Smurfwaite. 

I said many times at the time that fans would regret hounding MA out. One poster on here who doesn't post much any more called the 2nd  best manager we ever had a dinosaur 10 weeks after we had gained promotion. 

Advert

2 hours ago, TylerB said:

We're desperate for a proper striker. Pope is way past his best. Cullen doesn't have the tools to play up front alone. Robinson is bang average in all aspects of his game and Rodney is a million years away from being ready to play up front every week due to a lack of experience. Pope is still probably the pick of the bunch which considering his age and lack of any sort of pace or mobility, say's an awful lot.

Funny thig is we're not a million miles away. A striker and a bit more discipline within the ranks, along with some better decisions by Askey, and we'd be right among it. The league is awful. We're not going up with a front line of Pope, Cullen, Robinson and Rodney.

100% spot on.  👏  An unusually sensible summing up from you Tyler, are you off the dust today? 🤪

4 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Well Askey signed him and McKirdy did have a bit of a poor reputation personality wise prior to joining. 

I am not convinced he is a better option than Worrall or Amoo but he certainly should be being used more as an impact sub. 

Im not convinced Askey wanted him and im still not convinced Harry would be with us if he had even one other offer. 

2 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Isn't hindsight wonderful!

The two people to blame for the defeat today were on the pitch not in the dug out.  Legge for his daft red card and Fitzpatrick for giving away that ridiculous corner at the end.  Just leave the bloody ball man and let it run out.

If Fitz had a shout, "leave" or "time", or whatever, then fair enough, but if not he has to deal with it to be on the safe side unless he's absolutely sure where the winger is behind him.  After that I'm not sure if he miskicked, trying to hook the ball away, or opted to play it straight out.

To preserve my sanity, I rarely read or post on here but any manager who has overseen the sort of cak we have watched over the last 3 weeks would be under massive pressure.

The fact that the forward line is worse than last year says a lot about Askey’s transfer business.

That said, he must have a safer job than that guy who visits on 25th December 

2 minutes ago, Mario said:
14 minutes ago, WV said:
Im not convinced Askey wanted him and im still not convinced Harry would be with us if he had even one other offer. 

Not trying to drive a wedge between the player and supporters then

Just giving my opinion my Italian brother. 

Just now, WV said:

Where was that then? Not when I spoke to him he didn't and that was about 2 days before he signed for us. 

Cheltenham, he was offered it before he started training with us. Can’t blame him for wanting to be closer to home. 

1 hour ago, werstayinup said:

Jean i dont want Askey out but i said to a group i am in as soon as Legge was booked that he needed to be subbed for Brisley because with so long to go in the game and how he plays with his lack of pace,he was bound to go..... if i could see it jean surely askey could,its always a big risk to leave him to play on a yellow for 80+ minutes

Absolutely bang on chief.

Tough one to take again, all four defeats hurt and all four we should of got a result on balance of play or circumstance.

Today I thought we played well, annoyingly when Legge saw red we’d actually got through the storm and had seemed to gain control of the game again similar to the first half.

Referee was picky but don’t think he got much wrong. Oddly though added 4 minutes first half which seemed a lot, Conlon had treatment which took up over a minute or so possibly two and he blew up at 49!

Worrall was superb, Brisley did well. Thought Clark was sloppy today at times. Rodney... I thought he had a shocker, looked half arsed at times and gave the ball away numerous times causing a counter. He’s raw very raw.

Cullen is struggling for form, he’s a good player, a goal scorer but when he gets chances he’s not looking right at the moment. That header first half is an easy chance for his calibre, plus the chance to slot away after a great passing move late first half that he fired at the keeper. Robinson has been poor, didn’t feel he out enough in late on was jogging a lot.

Injuries are a concern, best hope no further isolations are required.

Thought we defended well and unlike Tranmere managed it well but a poor corner ironically and a lucky bounce and game over.

Huge game Tuesday. Have to be winning that.

Two weeks of massive frustration and feel like we just are not getting any luck or rub of the green lately.

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

I don't get your point.  Taylor was a very good signing, my comment was a tongue in cheek response to all those saying Askey only makes crap signings.  Thing was, Taylor's last game for us was on New Year's Day and we did just as well after he left.  He was only part of the reason why we finished close to the play offs last year.

My point being that i believe we have few goals in the current squad of players. Midfield, wide, strikers we struggle everywhere. The same last season for me. Taylor proved to be  an excellent signing and he did offer us goals from forward runs and getting into the box. Yes only a part but a big part out of the total number of goals scored.

When i say we were lucky with him i dont think that Askey expected such a number of goals. We certainly have not replaced his goals from midfiels. We need a striker to consistently score goals and so far we are struggling to find him. The wide players also dont look likely to score consistently.

Archived