onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Newport County v Port Vale

Fosse69

The usual over reaction on here

We had plenty of chances today and yes we struggle to put them away but for me it was an improvement on Tuesdays game and an attacking set up from Askey when we could have gone there and done a Scunthorpe

We lost in the 6th minute of injury time with 10 men to a team who are top of the table and have won 7 on the bounce at home - don’t think that warrants the typical over reaction we get on every defeat

I don’t think we are far off and still pretty confident we will be in and around come the end of the season

Advert

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

I'll leave it with the comment of a well-informed neutral who watched us against Tranmere, and described us as 'nice', which is about the sum of it.

It's an old adage in football that a team takes on the character of their manager, so perhaps your contact was right.

Personally, I'd prefer Toothless

13 minutes ago, grand prix pants said:

Sorry for butting in again Jacko. If I was appointed manager tomorrow ( I’m a teacher so this is very deliberately a ridiculous scenario) and I sign you to play left back, and you make a mistake that leads to a defeat, I’d expect you to get some stick on OVF. But at some point I’d expect the gaze to turn back to me, as the guy who signed you. Otherwise managers would never be responsible for anything!

Askey didn't sign Legge.

36 minutes ago, WV said:

I bet if we could look at posts back when we were mid table with Page in charge you and many others were not happy then either. 

I think quite a few Vale fans have an inbuilt miserable gene.  We had someone earlier in the season, can't remember who it was, even claiming that if it wasn't for Brown making saves we would have lost at Exeter! 

I think quite a few Vale fans have an inbuilt miserable gene.  We had someone earlier in the season, can't remember who it was, even claiming that if it wasn't for Brown making saves we would have lost at Exeter! 

Yes - sometimes I wonder if it cheers some up if Vale lose - more to moan about

5 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Good evening Jacko,

I certainly don't have that miserable gene. I was a legitimate enthusiast of Bruno Ribeiro. 

All the best,

Jeff.

2 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

It’s not missing the point at all. That poster wants Askey out so I asked him what he would have done in Askey’s position.  He clearly knows better than the manager so I was just asking him to enlighten  us  

Jean i dont want Askey out but i said to a group i am in as soon as Legge was booked that he needed to be subbed for Brisley because with so long to go in the game and how he plays with his lack of pace,he was bound to go..... if i could see it jean surely askey could,its always a big risk to leave him to play on a yellow for 80+ minutes

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

THIS ISN'T AN ASKEY OUT POST BUT I AM GOING TO BE CRITICAL. 

Sick and tired of this football club.

The evidence is fairly irrefutable that John Askey's Port Vale concede in the last minute at a far higher rate than other clubs. We could all list the times in the past year in which this club has punched us in the gut.

Is it just a load of bad luck? Is it poor game management? Is it mentally switching off? Is it panicking under a bit of anticipated pressure in a game of football? Fitzpatrick should have received a shout and not out it behind. We should have closed the Tranmere player down. These are avoidable errors, consistently made in the 96th minute with points on the line. And they've occurred throughout Askey's tenure, whether they are attributable to him or otherwise.

I'm not sure. We weren't awful today but Newport edged it. The fact that we all knew the goal was coming should summarise how this current setup feels. The red card was spot on and, once more, we failed to see it out, as we always do. Two red cards in three. What's going on?

6 defeats. Only had 7 all last year. Another Saturday of Crewe and Stoke fans laughing at us, for the third time in a fortnight. We're as close to 13th as we are to the playoffs currently, with Legge, Joyce, Pope, and probably Amoo out for Tuesday. We're out of both cups and were embarrassed by Kings Lynn a mere fortnight ago, and have lost three in the league since in similarly infuriating fashion. 

It's all immaterial. Until we learn to see out games, avoid red cards, and create better chances, we aren't getting out of this league. We can bemoan bad luck, 'dust ourselves down and go again', and pat ourselves on the back that we had 3 shots on target instead of 1, but this is getting silly.

Have to agree entirely. Can i also add :

You have to score goals to win games and achieve play offs / promotion. We do not have a squad which can score goals. Askey built this squad and he has failed yet again with the players he has chosen.

Some of our players are playing aswell as i would expect. Very good infact in some games but it is not enough for what we need. Other players we just did not need and are a waste of a shirt.

Rodney - is poor. Will never make a decent footballer. Today i saw again how he lets his man get away from him instead of fighting to stop him. He has no goal scoring confidence. Pace yes but skill to then create no.

Burgess - a decent footballer. Can pass a ball. Has energy but will never hurt a team will a telling ball, or run into the box or a goal. [ felt sorry for him today after his work and pass to Robinson ! why bother ]

Robinson - Doesnt look interested. Doesnt look to have any fight in him. Does he want to be here ?

Cullen - this is as good as he gets.  Sorry no goals from him and offers nothing to the team. Half chance today, half chance on Tuesday and thats all. No goals though. Tough i know without better service but he offers nothing.

Worral - typical Worral. Poor one day and then full of commitment, decent balls in the next. Will never score goals for us though.

Conlan - very good footballer technically. Doesnt offer enough of a goal scoring threat. Always sees to disappear after a decent start [ he did today i know but it seems like this most games ]

Dare not mention having to play a holding midfield player to secure a back four can keep the keeper well protected. That is a waste of a player but again i believe we have to do it to tighten up the defence.

I expect complete opposites from Askey's team in good one day and then poor because i dont believe the players are capable of anything different. Certainly 20 goals short and that means ?? points which certainly means no play offs. Weve played enough teams now, good and bad, to realise what the league is like and i dont expect anything from us other than no play offs. Very frustrating. The league is there for promotion for whoever wants it. Newport, Cheltenham, etc etc why is it not the Vale

I hold Askey responsible for the players he has signed and so Askey will be responsible for us failing to achieve play offs. Who will he sign next season when we will also need to replace Legge, Joyce, Pope

9 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Askey didn't sign Legge.

Ok, well, thanks for putting me right there. In any case, I was referring to our left back and the unnecessary corner given away in the final minute. But my point stands. The manager is ultimately responsible for the progress made by a team. Not always, I admit, especially if they are not given the necessary support by owners. But that isn’t the case here, which makes our start to the season so disappointing. Given his business in the summer, in more favorable circumstances than most of our rivals, and having seen the team he’s put together, I think it’s going to be an uphill struggle. I hope I’m wrong, and that the team start performing. If they do, no one will be more delighted, and I’ll happily admit I was wrong.
Anyway, UTV.

15 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

It’s true though. He made a world class Save that an average league 2 keeper wouldn’t make. If not for brown we would be much lower down. If we had an average keeper as most sides do we would be what 6 points less easily. 

Archived