onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Newport County v Port Vale

Fosse69

Just now, valeparklife said:

When Adams was manager, I had a lot of confidence he would deliver promotion at some point. I don't have this with Askey. He's not a bad manager, but I don't think he'll ever take us up.

I'm torn between being thoroughly pee'd off with these abject performances and poor recruitment and also thinking that given Smurthwaite's reign of terror this isn't as bad as it's been in the last 5 years.

My worry is with Pope, Legge, Joyce, Brown etc all aging and having contracts nearing expiration, we'll be reliant on a proper rebuild this summer again but Askey's recruitment leaves me so frustrated as he sets the bar so low with his signings. Other smaller clubs than us always sign players that have me thinking "why couldn't we have signed him?" while we're left with players discarded by Oldham and Macclesfield.

Agree. I don’t personally think it’s ok for us all just to accept that it’s not as bad as under smurthwaite. Surely we have to aim higher. Even more so this season with sides above us losing players and signing barely anyone. Whilst we as you say go to macc and Oldham again

Advert

8 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

When Adams was manager, I had a lot of confidence he would deliver promotion at some point. I don't have this with Askey. He's not a bad manager, but I don't think he'll ever take us up.

I'm torn between being thoroughly pee'd off with these abject performances and poor recruitment and also thinking that given Smurthwaite's reign of terror this isn't as bad as it's been in the last 5 years.

My worry is with Pope, Legge, Joyce, Brown etc all aging and having contracts nearing expiration, we'll be reliant on a proper rebuild this summer again but Askey's recruitment leaves me so frustrated as he sets the bar so low with his signings. Other smaller clubs than us always sign players that have me thinking "why couldn't we have signed him?" while we're left with players discarded by Oldham and Macclesfield.

We have the oldest 11 in the league.

Retaining all our players from last season was a good idea in theory but relied upon all of those players maintaining their standards and not declining.

Legge is getting on and to expect another 'every minute' season from him was ambitious, especially with the condensed fixtures. 

The idea to improve squad depth and not the first 11 was a mistake, in my view.

6 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Under Adams we could be horrible to play against, whether that be a physical contest, a bit of pace in the side or something else that the opposition wouldn't relish.

I don't sense that with the current side at the minute. As has been pointed out earlier, we are "nice".

2 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Isn't hindsight wonderful!

The two people to blame for the defeat today were on the pitch not in the dug out.  Legge for his daft red card and Fitzpatrick for giving away that ridiculous corner at the end.  Just leave the bloody ball man and let it run out.

The players keep making these mistakes though, Jean. At crucial times.

1 minute ago, Jacko51 said:

Isn't hindsight wonderful!

The two people to blame for the defeat today were on the pitch not in the dug out.  Legge for his daft red card and Fitzpatrick for giving away that ridiculous corner at the end.  Just leave the bloody ball man and let it run out.

Not an askey our fan and I do agree but both were selected by the guys in the dug out...just saying...

11 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Is it a case of poor player scouting by Askey or owners not wanting to pay the right money for the right players? 

Disappointed to lose again today. Questions must be asked. 

Maybe Fitzpatrick had slightly more time to hook the ball over his shoulder for a throw in, but it's not a ball he can leave if he doesn't know where the player behind him is.

I've seen Hill and Tankard put plenty of those type of balls behind for a corner back in the day.

2 hours ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

Yep. Both were definite yellows. Ironically, in between those 2 challenges Legge had played really well!

Correct. You cannot take Legge off because he has had a booking. Between bookings he has had a good game. Strong and dominant but once faced by a player with the ball at his feet he is not the best.

Hes now on 4 yellows so do we not play him again so as to stop a further suspension. His second yellow showed how slow he is to react to the ball being on the floor and also showed why he must be replaced this season. No more talk of another contract, not as the main center back anyway.

Brisley now has his chance. Good performance on Tuesday and lets leave Legge off until the new year, hopefully.

2 minutes ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Correct. You cannot take Legge off because he has had a booking. Between bookings he has had a good game. Strong and dominant but once faced by a player with the ball at his feet he is not the best.

Hes now on 4 yellows so do we not play him again so as to stop a further suspension. His second yellow showed how slow he is to react to the ball being on the floor and also showed why he must be replaced this season. No more talk of another contract, not as the main center back anyway.

Brisley now has his chance. Good performance on Tuesday and lets leave Legge off until the new year, hopefully.

Legge is back to three yellows now because the second yellow and red cancels out the first one.

Archived