onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Newport County v Port Vale

Fosse69

15 minutes ago, PVFC764 said:

Same crap from Askey as last match and the match before that.  We do not get the run of the ball, its hard to take.  The players are showing the effort.  We just need to turn the corner.  Hopefully by Christmas we will be in the position of pushing on.  Why does he not make a recording and just give it to the report.

By Christmas we will be settled in mid league and the gap will be wider.  Fans will be calling for his head with more vigor.  You need to make players realise they need to take the blame for stupid tackles and getting sent off.  He also needs to make sure they are more disciplined.

Not sure I understand your point.

you start off by saying same old crap from Askey, then admit we’re not getting the run of the ball, then go on to say the players are putting the effort in.

Finally, not sure how many managers say to their players before they start the game, don’t get sent off.

Not sure what more he can do.

Advert

20 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Loads of folk on here were pleased when we signed Cullen after his strike rate last season which was about second in the division. 

I’m sure that’s true. But managers live and die by their signings don’t they? We have 4 strikers, none of whom look like they are going to score the goals to take us up. It seems pretty clear to me that Cullen can’t play on his own up front. There have been occasional glimpses that he can, but far too often he’s ineffective. And I’m not sure that Askey will change his system to get the best out of him. I’ve got nothing against Cullen personally, he’s no better or worse than the rest of them. For me he’s just a good example of Askey not improving his first team in the summer. And, I think, that’s why we’re on a poor run, not because Legge got sent off today.

We're desperate for a proper striker. Pope is way past his best. Cullen doesn't have the tools to play up front alone. Robinson is bang average in all aspects of his game and Rodney is a million years away from being ready to play up front every week due to a lack of experience. Pope is still probably the pick of the bunch which considering his age and lack of any sort of pace or mobility, say's an awful lot.

Funny thig is we're not a million miles away. A striker and a bit more discipline within the ranks, along with some better decisions by Askey, and we'd be right among it. The league is awful. We're not going up with a front line of Pope, Cullen, Robinson and Rodney.

3 minutes ago, TylerB said:

We're desperate for a proper striker. Pope is way past his best. Cullen doesn't have the tools to play up front alone. Robinson is bang average in all aspects of his game and Rodney is a million years away from being ready to play up front every week due to a lack of experience. Pope is still probably the pick of the bunch which considering his age and lack of any sort of pace or mobility, say's an awful lot.

Funny thig is we're not a million miles away. A striker and a bit more discipline within the ranks, along with some better decisions by Askey, and we'd be right among it. The league is awful. We're not going up with a front line of Pope, Cullen, Robinson and Rodney.

Agree spot on.

3 minutes ago, TylerB said:

Spot on!

5 minutes ago, TylerB said:

Tyler I’m not too bothered about going up as one we’re not good enough and two you have to have a bit of luck with decisions, injuries and suspensions. No one in the treatment room when a team is winning or doing well.

The frustration is that something is not right which can be seen in the performances. They’re dire and one dimensional and it’s for that reason that teams know how to play us. I’d just like to think we’ve tried our hardest and the ship will turn but I don’t see that anytime soon and that’s what frustrates the living hell out of me. 

2 minutes ago, raywalkersbananakick said:

Agree who do we sign with in reason emoji460.png

No one else because we don’t have the money and the priority is to ride this out. We can’t even sack the manager as we would have to then pay him off. I suppose Carol is looking at the bigger picture and survival of the club is paramount and without fans back in the ground we’re stuck.

4 minutes ago, TylerB said:

We're not going up with a front line of Pope, Cullen, Robinson and Rodney.

I would agree if we play 1 upfront. We currently don't have a striker who is capable of playing on there own effectively upfront.  

JA needs to find a system where we can play with 2 from those 4.  I still think there is potential for a potent strike force there if play with 2. If not  then I think we need to ship out both Cullen and Robinson and use the wage to get one really good player who can play upfront on their own.

I wouldn't say that Robinson has been a let down because I remember how he played the first time he was here.

Cullen plugs away but he is never a lone striker in a million years.

Pope is Pope. 35 years old, creaking a bit, and his workload has to be managed. He can't be expected to be given a run of games especially when the fixtures come thick and fast.

Rodney is a peg without a hole. I'll be kind to him and say he looked uncomfortable in the role he was asked to do today. We signed him on a three year contract supposedly because we intend to get a fee for him after 18 months to two years. In that case we'd better start looking at ways to accomodate him quickly.

We don't have enough goals throughout the team in general, but in particular we lack the one centre forward we need with the calibre necessary to mount a decent play-off challenge and grab the centre forward berth with both hands.

Obviously we didn't get some (or any) of the players we wanted during the summer and looking at the fall back options we ended up with, you have to say that it really hasn't worked out.

When Adams was manager, I had a lot of confidence he would deliver promotion at some point. I don't have this with Askey. He's not a bad manager, but I don't think he'll ever take us up.

I'm torn between being thoroughly pee'd off with these abject performances and poor recruitment and also thinking that given Smurthwaite's reign of terror this isn't as bad as it's been in the last 5 years.

My worry is with Pope, Legge, Joyce, Brown etc all aging and having contracts nearing expiration, we'll be reliant on a proper rebuild this summer again but Askey's recruitment leaves me so frustrated as he sets the bar so low with his signings. Other smaller clubs than us always sign players that have me thinking "why couldn't we have signed him?" while we're left with players discarded by Oldham and Macclesfield.

Archived